Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:29 AM

8 posts, read 9,746 times

Advertisements

This is my intro, I'm a newbie in post count but have been an avid reader. Before posting and clogging up the boards, I used the search feature but the results were a little lacking.

I am a 24 year old male who is a photographer/model. Like the title states, I have epilepsy, however, my case is mild. I have a seizure maybe once every 2 years. While I am fortunate to not have them more often, it can still be a bit of a burden on life, such as living in L.A. alone...

So, with that being said, are any of you out there currently doing it? Living with epilepsy, by yourself in L.A. and making it work while being safe?

I know a place more like NY would be suited for me but I have been spoiled by warm weather nearly my whole life. I grew up in Al and Fl so I can appreciate heat and little to no winter.

If any of you have any advice or suggestions, I would be extremely grateful for your opinions and/or experiences.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunymac View Post
This is my intro, I'm a newbie in post count but have been an avid reader. Before posting and clogging up the boards, I used the search feature but the results were a little lacking.

I am a 24 year old male who is a photographer/model. Like the title states, I have epilepsy, however, my case is mild. I have a seizure maybe once every 2 years. While I am fortunate to not have them more often, it can still be a bit of a burden on life, such as living in L.A. alone...

So, with that being said, are any of you out there currently doing it? Living with epilepsy, by yourself in L.A. and making it work while being safe?

I know a place more like NY would be suited for me but I have been spoiled by warm weather nearly my whole life. I grew up in Al and Fl so I can appreciate heat and little to no winter.

If any of you have any advice or suggestions, I would be extremely grateful for your opinions and/or experiences.

Thanks!
Why would it make any difference? Unless you can't you get a drivers license or something that is almost a necessity in car intense Los Angeles.
Do you have people you can live with in NY and not in LA? If so, it isn't an LA vs NY question, it's a live alone vs not live alone question.

Doctors any different?
Support services?
Occupations?

Where in Alabama? (And Alabama certainly isn't a warm weather place if you ask me. It's cold and miserable from October to April.)

Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,988 times
I don't see how it's any different living in LA with epilepsy than elsewhere. I think your main question is how to deal with epilepsy while living alone. That could be asked in a more general forum.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,412 times
I knew someone who had epilepsy and it was under control by meds. I'm pretty sure that this person drove.

Maybe these guys can answer your questions or provide resources: Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Los Angeles

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Sorry for the lack of explanation on my part about the NY comparison. I threw that in there because driving can sometimes be an issue and the subway system of NY solves that problem and they have the market for photography/modeling.

As far as warmth goes, I am currently in Cincinnati. This place is miserable. I don't want to do anything, go anywhere, etc. I feel like I am freezing from the inside out at times. Yes, Al does get cold but not nearly as cold as this place. Oh, and Fl was a breeze compared to this. When I say I grew up in heat, none of my cars have had A/C. I much prefer warm climates.

Maybe this information will help some. It seems as if it doesn't make much of a difference from some of your eyes and it is no different and I just need to make the move. It is refreshing to hear it from someone else's point of view. I tend to over think things sometimes and this may in fact be one.

At the end of the day, I want to be able to get around LA and safety of me and others. If there are any creative ways people use to get around that don't drive, I am all ears.

Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM

drunk on kool aid...Thanks!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
driving can sometimes be an issue

If there are any creative ways people use to get around that don't drive, I am all ears.

Thanks

You still haven't told us if you can drive or not? Do you or don't you?

If you do drive, then there's not much more to write.
If you don't drive, LA will probably more challenging than cities that have bigger dependencies on public transportation.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
You still haven't told us if you can drive or not? Do you or don't you?

If you do drive, then there's not much more to write.
If you don't drive, LA will probably more challenging than cities that have bigger dependencies on public transportation.
I avoid it just because of that unknown factor. I will drive if I have to but I prefer not to. That is why I made a comparison to a city that offered mass transit.

I know the options for cities that offer mass transit are "better" but I want to give this a shot. If I don't, I will always be pissed off at myself and wonder, "what if..."

So, I am trying to figure out a safe/efficient way to get around the city before I move. I haven't narrowed down an area just yet, I more so wanted to do my research beforehand.

Before the question gets asked, I am financially prepared. I have savings and have been doing so. This has been a goal of mine. I just want to make it happen.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I avoid it just because of that unknown factor. I will drive if I have to but I prefer not to. That is why I made a comparison to a city that offered mass transit.

I know the options for cities that offer mass transit are "better" but I want to give this a shot. If I don't, I will always be pissed off at myself and wonder, "what if..."

So, I am trying to figure out a safe/efficient way to get around the city before I move. I haven't narrowed down an area just yet, I more so wanted to do my research beforehand.

Before the question gets asked, I am financially prepared. I have savings and have been doing so. This has been a goal of mine. I just want to make it happen.
Living in LA without a car can be done but it I think it is pretty rare and it would seem to be a huge hassle. Unless you live walking distance to a bus or train and your work location was near a bus or train, you'll probably need a car. Now, you can own a car and use it only once in a while like to go to events or sports or outings and use mass transit for commuting but again, you'd have to find the sweet spot of nice place to live, affordable, near public transportation, etc.

Also, in your line of work, wouldn't you be traveling to different locations rather than one place of employment? That would really make things tough.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Living in LA without a car can be done but it I think it is pretty rare and it would seem to be a huge hassle. Unless you live walking distance to a bus or train and your work location was near a bus or train, you'll probably need a car. Now, you can own a car and use it only once in a while like to go to events or sports or outings and use mass transit for commuting but again, you'd have to find the sweet spot of nice place to live, affordable, near public transportation, etc.

Also, in your line of work, wouldn't you be traveling to different locations rather than one place of employment? That would really make things tough.
proudmommy,

It will make things extremely tough. Since all of this began, my life has been tough. It has forced me to grow up quicker than I wanted. It is what it is and that's life.

As long as it is not impossible, I am game. I have thought about a scooter to supplement the usage of a car? I don't know if that is smart or not but I feel like I would be going slower, almost like a bike. No way would I get on a motorcycle everyday. I have had my thrills on those and I don't need that risk.

Thank you for sticking around and answering all of these questions so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles