Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post

As for rats: Get cats.
I bought this place in 04. In 08 a rat found its way in to one of the kitchen cupboards from beneath the house. I put poison bait out and it died. I know it died because I found the bluish tinged droppings and the garage stunk like a dead body for 2 weeks. Shortly after that some feral cats took up residence beneath my house. I haven't had a rat or even a mouse since.

Hungry cats rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
If it's true that there is at least one rat for every human, then NYC has twice as many rats as LA. It would take an army of Mumbai rat catchers to make a dent in the rat population in either city.

LA is not conceding the title without a fight, though. The inner city and coastal areas have their fair share of rats, but the hilly areas where many affluent citizens reside are prime rat habitats. These creatures thrive on the food which we put out for birds, squirrels, and our pets, in addition to the various fruits on the trees.

In October, when the weather changes, this roof rat enters homes and chews on wiring (which sets off alarms and causes fires), invades the pantry, leaves urine trails and droppings everywhere, and drives our pets crazy. The thought of a rat in our home puts fear in one's heart and money in the exterminator's bank account.

You win for now, NY, based upon rat size and quantity. Just give our roof rats a little more time. They're smart, agile, and stealthy - kind of like little furry ninjas.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:23 PM

157 posts, read 165,591 times
Heck no, thank god!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
I've been here for 3 years. Lived in La Brea, Encino and Culver City. Never seen a rat.

I lived in San Diego for 3 years and found 1 dead rat below my kitchen sink cubbard.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 AM

418 posts, read 1,734,837 times
It's not as bad as NYC, but there are definitely rats here. In the palm trees, like people say, and also just in people's back yards. I've been at people's houses on several occasions where a rat has scurried along a fence -- clean homes in decent areas. But the rats aren't nearly as big as on the East Coast -- that's b/c LA rats tend to be black rats, as opposed to the Norwegian rats in NYC, which explains a lot:
Los Angeles rats are very different from New York rats. New York rats are the fat, mean and ugly brown rat, or Norwegian rat. Los Angeles has some Norwegian rats who came West via the railroad and can be found mostly downtown, but the dominant species here is the black rat, sometimes called the ship rat because it arrived, along with many other unpleasant things, when Europeans discovered the coastline.
On the trail of those dirty rats - Los Angeles Times

I also know that rats can be a big problem in the Palisades. The story of the "Rathouse of the Palisades" is extreme, but interesting: Palisades Rathouse: Unchallenged by Health Officials, Elderly Twins Fed Local Vermin Population - Page 1 - News - Los Angeles - LA Weekly

Last edited by Count David; 07-18-2012 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: link and snippet is enough

Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 PM

378 posts, read 761,029 times
Not long after we moved here, my husband's truck started acting up. He took it to the mechanic, and they opened the hood to find a dead rat that had been chewing on the wires. The guys loved it--they all whipped out their phones and started snapping pictures. Apart from the fact that we had to pay for repairs, it was pretty hilarious.

I've used my son's air soft gun to shoot them in the patootie and chase them out of the yard on occasion. My next door neighbor calls the city as soon as she sees one, so they trap often around here.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 AM

110 posts, read 236,811 times
i see an occasional rat on the wires or crossing the street, but i don't think the problem is that big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles