Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 12,358 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving to the LB area soon. My wife is adamant that our son, who will be in first grade next year, go to a private school. He is currently in private school and doing well in it.

I have looked at the greatschools website but couldn't get a grasp of the different schools reputations/ strengths/ weaknesses.

How do Chadwick, Westerly, etc compare with one another? I realize Chadwick is in RPV.

Does anybody have any insight into these schools or any other that I may have overlooked. We want to factor in schools in our decision to pick a location to live. Will be working in Long Beach. Rossmoor and RPV look like good places to live but I haven't been out there yet to look.

Thank you deeply in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,699,943 times
Most of the best private schools are religious schools. In Rossmoor, which you mention, is St Hedwig, which is a Catholic elementary school that is very well regarded.

I don't know the specific schools in Long Beach at the elementary level, but the high schools are St Josephs(all girl), St John Bosco(all boys), and Valley Christian(mixed). They are all very well regarded and they all should have feeder elementary schools that they can provide you information on.

I attended Woodruff Christian Elementary in Bellflower, but that was a long time ago and I don't know how it's changed. My education there was excellent. When I transferred into public school I was a year ahead in every subject. Things may have changed between then and now, though.

Also, RPV to Long Beach is a bit of a drive. RPV is very far from the freeway and there are only a few ways off the hill, all very congested.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I guess if we pick RPV we have to pick something near the 110? O maybe that doesn't work either?
Also what areas do you recommend for really nice neighborhoods near LB?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 PM

916 posts, read 3,688,561 times
Long Beach has wonderful neighborhoods and every kind from suburbs like Park Estates to coastal like Naples or Belmont Park. If you like Rossmoor, check out Park Estates. In my opinion it's the same thing only a nicer, more refined version. More stately. For the walk to the coffee shop type stuff you need to be in Belmont Park/Heights or Naples.

Regarding schools...Westerly is great but expensive (20k/year). It is k-8.

St Joseph's is k-8 and it is still very good and a lot cheaper. It is k-8 as well I think it is 5k.

The only private high school in LB is St. Anthony. It used to be very good, then took a bit of a dip, and now seems to be pretty strong again. They just completed a capital campaign and raised $5M.

There is a bus that goes from Naples to Chadwick as a lot of kids go there.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,117,393 times
I know some guys who went to Bosco and ended up pretty successful. if chadwick is your choice, you could always live in San pedro as the base of the hill if the home prices are too much for you in the PV communities. san pedro to LB is a relatively short drive over a few bridges.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 PM

How is san pedro? I've not heard very good things about it.
If there was one private school in the area that people would pick which one would it be?

Thanks for the responses.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssca View Post
Hello,

We are moving to the LB area soon. My wife is adamant that our son, who will be in first grade next year, go to a private school. He is currently in private school and doing well in it.

I have looked at the greatschools website but couldn't get a grasp of the different schools reputations/ strengths/ weaknesses.

How do Chadwick, Westerly, etc compare with one another? I realize Chadwick is in RPV.

Does anybody have any insight into these schools or any other that I may have overlooked. We want to factor in schools in our decision to pick a location to live. Will be working in Long Beach. Rossmoor and RPV look like good places to live but I haven't been out there yet to look.

Thank you deeply in advance.

Hello SSCA:

Not sure if you already picked any school, But I want to invite you to look at St. Maria Goretti School it is a family oriented community and votes as a best private school in Long Beach by the press telegram for the last 4 years.. Also great neighborhood and our campus it is beautiful, small class sizes which I think is a plus computer lab, etc. My twins have been there since kindergarten and going to fourth grade next year. We love the school and environment and "0" tolerance to bullying. Please contact the school principal and schedule a tour as soon as you can. You won't regret it.

Good Luck and we see you there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles