Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,669 times

Advertisements

Is the annual pass for Disneyland really worth the money? And I am guessing the figure they give ($180 for 170 days) is per person right? Are there any other discounts or deals for residents to other parks or activities that are good for kids? Looking for places to take our son (he is 2) on some weekdays and weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 PM

32 posts, read 87,643 times
The Disney pass is great, we love ours and use them often but we are big Disney nuts. That price is per person but your son would be free. It is only at age 3 that you have to buy them an entrance ticket. That pass you are talking about is the Southern CA Select one, I presume? That one does NOT include weekends, the summer or major holiday periods like Spring Break (but those are always times I want to avoid being there, anyway). Read the blackout dates carefully. I suggest adding on parking - at $11 or $12 a visit, it can add up.

Other great places for kids his age: Natural History Museum. Annual membership fee is tax deductible. With a membership there, you also get the La Brea Tar Pits. Check out Kidspace in Pasadena. Travel Town is also a lot of fun, that is in Griffith Park. There's a lot to explore in Griffith Park: the Zoo, the merry go round, different playgrounds. My kids always loved The Grove at that age. The musical fountain and the trolley ride was like a mini-Disneyland for them.

There's a great book called Baby's Day Out (I think) about all the myriad of things to do around LA with kids.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,669 times
Thanks!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times
Weekdays, the local park, moms groups outings, just local, story times at librarys or barnes and noble, - don't drive.

Weekends: Beach, Santa Monica Pier (depending where in LA you are), beach, petting zoos, simple things that are visually stimulating, Disneyland is probably overkill for a two year old. Sort of a drive but Legoland in Carlsbad would be about right for two year olds. At two years old it really isn't necessary to drive too far or spend loads of money to keep them happy.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:54 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Weekdays, the local park, moms groups outings, just local, story times at librarys or barnes and noble, - don't drive.

Weekends: Beach, Santa Monica Pier (depending where in LA you are), beach, petting zoos, simple things that are visually stimulating, Disneyland is probably overkill for a two year old. Sort of a drive but Legoland in Carlsbad would be about right for two year olds. At two years old it really isn't necessary to drive too far or spend loads of money to keep them happy.
Agreed, Disneyland will be for you not for him. He will never remember it. But some parents are more into Dland than their kids. Just remember the rides you'll be able to go on will be very limited w/ a 2 y/o. And Mickey and Tiger actually scare little ones sometimes - been there done that.

The beach is the best free entertainment in SoCal. I agree with keepin' it simple with the little ones. Get a bicycle seat for him and take him on a bike ride at the beach.

When the're older you can get the pass and then you can actually enjoy the rides together.

Long Beach Aquarium is great for the younger ones as well.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-27-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,877 times
My mother had an annual pass to Disneyland when I was two or three, but I was apparently big enough to look four or five, and they would just raise eyebrows at her at the entrance (I'll have to ask her sometime if we she was ever actually charged extra). Something to keep in mind, I guess.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Knotts is inexpensive and Camp Snoopy is awesome for little ones. Many of my childhood memories were made at Camp Snoopy

Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
California Science Center and Museum of Natural History are great.

Disneyland, Natural History Museum and Griffith Observatory have always been my favorite places ever since I was a wee tiny kid.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
California Science Center and Museum of Natural History are great.

Disneyland, Natural History Museum and Griffith Observatory have always been my favorite places ever since I was a wee tiny kid.

For a two year old?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 AM

32 posts, read 87,643 times
My kids at 2 loved Disneyland and there was plenty for them to do there. They rode on tons of rides, loved the characters and just liked having the freedom to run around. We went often and it wasn't just for us parents. With the annual pass, we'd go in the morning, stay through lunch and then leave when the after school crowds came in.

My kids also loved the Natural History Museum at that age. The dioramas with all the animals were fascinating to them.

The CA Science Center has lots of hands-on exhibits that a small child would enjoy. Most of it is for older children but there are things for smaller kids. When my son was just 3, they had the Super Heroes exhibit and we took him more than once to that.

So, yes, I think those are appropriate for a two year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles