Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,345 times

Advertisements

I know for sure you have to make 3x 4x's your rent and if there gonna base my income off of my current job then Im not gonna be approved.Rent in K-town is 695 for a studio all utilities included. This is so great being the fact I won't have to worry about electric etc. Job hunting I have contacted places and basically said apply once I get there since most positions need to be filled and interviewed asap.That's fine,that's why Im gonna have a little saved after I land a apt and deposit and whatever else is paid.(crosses fingers) So my question to everyone is,what's my chances on landing something if Im under the 1500 income a month mark for a studio with utilities included? If my current job is paid bi-weekly and I won't have trouble with rent or utlitlies with 400+ to spare left over, will they give me a hassle? Im moving from South Jersey BTW lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,960 times
This is why people typically recommend you have several months worth of savings before you move.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:08 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Are you bringing your current job with you? As in, do you work at home and have a job you can do anywhere? Because if the current job requires you to be physically in New Jersey, then the landlords here won't care how much you made doing it - they'll only be interested in how much your new job in LA pays.

Have you thought of looking on craigslist.org for roommate situations? Might be a good temporary solution...

Old 01-29-2011, 09:13 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
if you don't have a job, the chances of you finding one are 8 to one. i really, really, really hope you have a job and aren't just putting down a deposit on something.....

Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,345 times
im transfering

Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 PM

600 posts, read 1,609,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanniDan84 View Post
Rent in K-town is 695 for a studio all utilities included. This is so great being the fact I won't have to worry about electric etc.
I live in Koreatown. When I was looking for an apartment, the cheapest I ever saw was $ 895, not including parking and utilities. The buildings were the nastiest I've ever seen! I'm paying $ 930 for a studio right now - the building is alright, but definitely not great! I'm not sure where you found 695, but I would plan for much, much more money-wise.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
im transfering
well, good. but for 695 i gotta wonder what the "unseen amenties" are. i would check the address on the bedbug registry. bedbugs ain't nothing to laugh at. and if you live in a crappy building infested with em, they crawl through the baseboards into your place, making them impossible to get rid of (taping off the baseboards helps- i have done this in every place i have lived since my ex had an infestation).

i would definitely suggest trying out roommates because you may find you prefer another part of town over others. i would also suggest you look at renting on the east-side- many people consider it a crappy part of town, but its much cheaper and working class, and i loved it.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
Koreatown north of Wilshire boulevard should be okay, south of Wilshire, it can get dicey

Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,697 times
$695 sounds like Westlake - what's the address? And nowadays, Ktown south of Wilshire (and up to Olympic) is fine, or at least the same as it is north of Wilshire. Rough patches are dispersed all over.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
I know for sure you have to make 3x 4x's your rent and if there gonna base my income off of my current job then Im not gonna be approved.Rent in K-town is 695 for a studio all utilities included. This is so great being the fact I won't have to worry about electric etc. Job hunting I have contacted places and basically said apply once I get there since most positions need to be filled and interviewed asap.That's fine,that's why Im gonna have a little saved after I land a apt and deposit and whatever else is paid.(crosses fingers) So my question to everyone is,what's my chances on landing something if Im under the 1500 income a month mark for a studio with utilities included? If my current job is paid bi-weekly and I won't have trouble with rent or utlitlies with 400+ to spare left over, will they give me a hassle? Im moving from South Jersey BTW lol
You should get a roomate off craiglist. Loads of people moving to LA do this. There are new listings all the time. You get your own room in a shared apt with whoever and it cuts down your cost tremendously. Usually you get your own bathroom as well. Alot of times the rooms are furnished with a bed so you don't have to buy one. The cost of renting out a room is typically $400-800 depending on where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles