Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,430 times

Advertisements

We are moving to LA and would love to know the best school districts in the area for K-6. It would help if they were reasonably priced areas as well. So obviously Bev Hills would have a great USD but we can't afford that. I'm thinking more like sherman oaks or pasadena?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
Sherman Oaks would be in the LAUSD. Also, I believe the local middle schools feed into Van Nuys HS. Not a good place.

I can't help you with Pasadena, but being a much smaller city, I'm sure their public schools are better.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
What does "best" mean to you? State performance data are located on the California Dept of Education website.. Did you analyze them yet? How much research have you already performed?

Old 02-28-2008, 02:28 PM

48 posts, read 211,410 times
typically, on these message boards, when people bring up the word "best", they want to know where affluent, young, rich, hip, 'WHITE"-collared people are

there is also the opposite whenever people say an area is "bad"

Old 02-28-2008, 02:38 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,199,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
We are moving to LA and would love to know the best school districts in the area for K-6. It would help if they were reasonably priced areas as well. So obviously Bev Hills would have a great USD but we can't afford that. I'm thinking more like sherman oaks or pasadena?
Riverside Elementary School, Sherman Oaks Elementary School, Kester Elementary School are all good. The problem is what are you going to do after 5th or 6th grade? The middle and high schools are terrible IMO being a former student and resident of S.O. all of my life. There is a lottery system to get into a better school/magnet once your children hit 7th grade. If you move to the Conejo Valley such as Oak Park,Agoura,Westlake Village, and Thousand Oaks you would have great choices straight across the board and a much better place to raise a family, which I did for 13 years. Good luck to you.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,991 times
You don't mention if you're limited to a particular area and LA is huge with pockets of good and bad throughout. If you intend to be here until such time that your child/children will move into middle school, that's what you should be researching. As has been noted in some particular areas, the K-6 schools can be quite good, but moving to middle schools and high schools in the same area may not be desirable. Westside and South Bay school systems boast good reputations from K-12. Try looking north to south at the cities listed below. 1*- less expensive, 2*- expensive, 3*- very expensive. And, yes, it's all relative and based on median home prices.

Santa Monica ***
Culver City *
El Segundo **
Manhattan Beach ***
Hermosa Beach *** can be mentioned at the K-6 level and feeds into Redondo or Manhattan at the middle school level I believe.
Redondo Beach **
Torrance *
Palos Verdes ***
Long Beach *

Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,144 times
Smile I agree 100 percent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Riverside Elementary School, Sherman Oaks Elementary School, Kester Elementary School are all good. The problem is what are you going to do after 5th or 6th grade? The middle and high schools are terrible IMO being a former student and resident of S.O. all of my life. There is a lottery system to get into a better school/magnet once your children hit 7th grade. If you move to the Conejo Valley such as Oak Park,Agoura,Westlake Village, and Thousand Oaks you would have great choices straight across the board and a much better place to raise a family, which I did for 13 years. Good luck to you.
Absolutely true! I did the same thing 8 years ago.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:41 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
According to the sources I checked a few months ago when my nephew moved here, Arcadia is #1 and South Pasadena is a close #2. I'd pick the latter, sensational place to raise kids. Of course BH is good as is Palos Verdes (great from K-12). Redondo Beach is also excellent.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:49 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
My first choice would actually be La Canada or La Crescenta. La Crescenta being a little less expensive. Arcadia, South Pasadena, San Marino are also great schools. I would stay out of Pasadena completely for public schools, although Pasadena is an awesome area.

Reasonably priced is questionable. Not sure what reasonable would look like to you.

Dawn

Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
You won't be able to find good schools in reasonably priced areas as everyone else looking for that same piece of pie has already driven those areas prices through the roof. You will have to make the decision what's more important, good schools & desirable area or your wallet, or staying put where you are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles