Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times

Advertisements

Here are a few photos of places thousands of us drive by every day. Amazing are the changes.

The Entrance to Hidden Hills 1953. No Ventura Freeway then. Out in the sticks.
Hidden Hills, Calabasas, West SFV historical photos-hidden_hills_1953.jpg

Hidden Hills advertisement 1957. What are you nuts? $27K for the boonies?
Hidden Hills, Calabasas, West SFV historical photos-hidden_hills_1957.jpg

Looking west from what is now the intersection of Las Virgenes and Agoura Roads 1908. Is she looking for the Cheesecake Factory factory?
Hidden Hills, Calabasas, West SFV historical photos-agoura_road_look_west_1908.jpg

Looking south on Reseda Boulevard around Sherman Way 1954.
Hidden Hills, Calabasas, West SFV historical photos-reseda_blvd_look_west_1954.jpg

Looking east on Sherman Way at Reseda Boulevard 1954. Note the movie being shown. When I was a kid back in the early 1970s we'd go to the Sav On there and buy candy bars for seven cents and go into the movies. I was cheap even then.
Hidden Hills, Calabasas, West SFV historical photos-sherman_way_at_reseda_look_east_1954.jpg

Here are a couple of absolute gems. This is looking west down from the top of the Calabasas grade 1950s. No auto dealers.
Hidden Hills, Calabasas, West SFV historical photos-ventura_frwy_look_west_1950s.jpg

Looking east from the top of the Calabasas grade 1950s. Woodland Hills is in the far background on the left side.
Hidden Hills, Calabasas, West SFV historical photos-ventura_frwy_look_east_1950s.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,884 times

Bittersweet there, Charles. So sad our city has not saved open space and semi-rural environs as a choice for those not wishing high-density city living even this far away from the hubs.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:15 PM

129 posts, read 663,091 times
Wow, LA has made ALOT of improvement since then, thank god the streets dont look like that now aka the midwest - and 27,000 was a HELLUVA lot of money back in the day.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
Wow, LA has made ALOT of improvement since then, thank god the streets dont look like that now aka the midwest - and 27,000 was a HELLUVA lot of money back in the day.
Yeah, dirt roads and country living just don't appeal to me. If I wanted small town life, I definately wouldn't be moving to LA.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:50 PM

43 posts, read 189,782 times
Hi Charles --
Those are fascinating pictures! Are they yours or is there an on-line resource for pictures like those?

I love seeing historical photos of LA, so if there are resources out ther I'd love to know about them!

lapl.org is one of the only ones I know (the Los Angeles Public Library photo database)

Old 07-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Default CSUN San Fernando Valley Digital Photo Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMan View Post
Hi Charles --
Those are fascinating pictures! Are they yours or is there an on-line resource for pictures like those?

I love seeing historical photos of LA, so if there are resources out ther I'd love to know about them!

lapl.org is one of the only ones I know (the Los Angeles Public Library photo database)

Here they be is:

San Fernando Valley History Digital Library

Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,359 times
Cool, Charles. I once lived in Calabasas off Las Virgenes. Neat to see how it was and, in some ways, how it still is.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,493 times
I thought that Monti was being sarcastic but I figured out he wasn't. How on earth anyone could prefer LA now to LA then is beyond me. Seeing the pics from last week of LA and the valley and today of the far west part of the county really makes me sad. Los Angeles in the 50's was truly paradise, now it's hell.

Love the nostalgia, please keep it coming. Hey I'm only 35 but transitioning quickly to oldfarthood. lol

Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Agoura and Thousand Oaks 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I thought that Monti was being sarcastic but I figured out he wasn't. How on earth anyone could prefer LA now to LA then is beyond me. Seeing the pics from last week of LA and the valley and today of the far west part of the county really makes me sad. Los Angeles in the 50's was truly paradise, now it's hell.

Love the nostalgia, please keep it coming. Hey I'm only 35 but transitioning quickly to oldfarthood. lol
Intersection of the 23 (under construction) and the 101 in Thousand Oaks looking north 1968. The 101 is two lanes in both directions. At the time it went through Camarillo in between those two rows of Eucalyptus trees on the north side of the existing freeway.
Hidden Hills, Calabasas, West SFV historical photos-23_101_intersection_looking_north_1968.jpg

Highway 101 at Reyes Adobe in Agoura 1966 looking east. Lake Lindero community under construction in left side of photo. The Reyes Adobe is in that cluster of trees about one third of mile north of the Reyes Adobe bridge.
Hidden Hills, Calabasas, West SFV historical photos-lake_lindero_looking_east_1966.jpg

The Reyes Adobe is open for public viewing.

Reyes Adobe - Historic Adobes of Los Angeles County by John R. Kielbasa ISBN: 0-8059-4172-X - Things To Do In Los Angeles

Old 07-20-2007, 03:25 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post

I agree with Monti. I'm a city boy too. This country still has plenty of boonies.

I do enjoy historic photos immensely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles