Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 12,380 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions. I am moving to the L.A. area and I was wondering about Covina. I've found very few threads on Covina. I need to know how the crime, housing cost, schools are like. I have kids aged 7 up to 13. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Start here:
//www.city-data.com/city/Covina-California.html

Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman13 View Post
I've found very few threads on Covina.
Here are a couple more: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...somewhere.html
and //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...roak-city.html

Old 02-02-2011, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 12,380 times
Thanks for the help, now I get how the site works now. Anyway I've been told that the South Hills neighborhood in West Covina is the best in the area so me and my wife will try to look for homes there. Can anyone tell me what the public schools here are like?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:46 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
South Hills is in Covina and is on the other side of the 10 freeway. It is the best area of Covina, but that's not saying much. South Hills consists of mostly very dated tract houses built in the 60's and 70's which were cutting edge when the Partridge Family was on prime time.

Covina has a lot of Hispanic gangs now. Azusa, Covina and West Covina are really not places you'd want to live. The only place in that area that's decent is Glendora, which is head and shoulders above Covina.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times
I grew up in West Covina and Covina and those and surrounding cities have gone downhill dramatically. Agree with ^ on the Hispanic gangs part and want to add there are also Asian gangs too. Schools in the area are meh- I don't even think South Hills High School is that good under the surface. Look further south to Walnut and Diamond Bar- much better and last I heard had very good schools. Unless time has changed those areas too...

Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Look further south to Walnut and Diamond Bar- much better and last I heard had very good schools.
Walnut USD (which covers most of Walnut and the southern portion of Diamond Bar) is still ranked quite high ... and it'll show in the housing prices. But that goes with the other areas too - good schools, good safety, high prices.

California School Performance Maps

Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman13 View Post
I've been told that the South Hills neighborhood is the best in the area.... Can anyone tell me what the public schools here are like?
South Hills has the best ranked schools in that area. Make sure you check out all the elementary schools, since South Hills' school district, Covina Valley Unified, serves areas of Irwindale (not so great) also. South Hills High School is the highest ranked of the four high schools in that district.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM

72,407 posts, read 18,196,480 times
Covina has a very nice community. The suburbs are very clean,family oriented. South Hills High is a great school,it's near the golf course in West Covina. The homes in South Hills are are a little more expensive. Right on the hilly area. Lots of newly built home above Sandy Hill Drive. West Covina shopping is great! the Mall is really expanding. It is offering so much for the people who live there and so much to do.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 AM

South Hills is still the highest in the district, but they're not as well ranked as they used to be. When I was in high school, they were par to Walnut High. Nowadays, they're behind.

South Hills High - West Covina - California Schools Guide - Los Angeles Times
Walnut High - Walnut - California Schools Guide - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
West Covina shopping is great! the Mall is really expanding. It is offering so much for the people who live there and so much to do.
Great for the shopper ... or great for the shopping thieves?
Mall Parking Thefts « CBS Los Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles