Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
rnq rnq started this thread

1 posts, read 13,688 times

Advertisements

I may be taking a position in Downey. We are moving from out of state. Where would be a nice safe area to move to? No kids, DINKS. We will be leasing for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times
Seal Beach?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,683,410 times
Yea, I'd say Seal Beach or coastal Long Beach based on dinks/yuppie

Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM

41 posts, read 91,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Yea, I'd say Seal Beach or coastal Long Beach based on dinks/yuppie
Why drive that far? I'm sure there are some somewhat nicer parts of Downey, and I know there are some decent parts of Bellflower. If you don't mind a moderate drive (especially compared to driving from Seal Beach, ugh) there is Whittier.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,500,286 times
I lived in Downey for 10 years, great town.
Downey is not part of the LA County Sheriffs. Downey has their own city police and are good toward their citizens. No helicopters, they use ultra light aircraft to patrol. So when you hear a lawn mower engine you can look up and see Barney Fi. They only fly in daytime, a big plus.

Downey has their own fire department as well. Years ago in the 1993 riots they were on their way in to no man's land to put out a fire. They caught a bullet on the windshield and they turned around and returned to Downey.

Great town but the out lying areas can catch problems, I was too close to dogpatch/South Gate and was burgled a couple times. The more north in town, the nicer it gets.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 17,551 times
i would say stay north of downey. not saying downey is a bad area, but being a downey resident, the crime has increased over the years.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:21 PM

987 posts, read 1,736,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispito View Post
Why drive that far? I'm sure there are some somewhat nicer parts of Downey, and I know there are some decent parts of Bellflower. If you don't mind a moderate drive (especially compared to driving from Seal Beach, ugh) there is Whittier.
Yes, especially Uptown Whittier, near the college, lots of dinks, blended w/the college students (and not that much of a party scene there during the weeknites)...near Beverly Blvd towards the fwy really fast....Some parts of Lakewood are fine (Stay north of Del Amo & Palos Verdes), plus your closer to Downey....
(& forgot to say some parts of Downey are ok too, forgot which parts though)

Old 02-04-2011, 01:35 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,500,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
,,,Some parts of Lakewood are fine (Stay north of Del Amo & Palos Verdes), ,,,
Funny post. The largest amount of homes south of Del Amo is Lakewood Country Club, pretty elite. You will not find many other homes in Lakewood South of Del Amo, any you do find are pretty nice. You will not find a bad street in Lakewood other than the west side of the mall.

There is a small bit called East Lakewood at Del Amo and the riverbed. Mostly all mobile homes.

I would steer clear of apartments west of the Lakewood mall.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 AM

178 posts, read 411,276 times
Brea is a really a nice quiet safe city in Orange county, located about 12 miles east of Downey.

Huntington beach is great, it's a nice and clean city if you don't mind maybe driving the freeway for a short time, and it's about 15 miles from Downey. Lots of things to do and close to everything.

There are many good areas and bad areas in cities close to Downey.
Downey, Bellflower, Whittier, La Mirada, Long Beach, Lakewood all have their really nice parts of their cities along with parts that aren't as nice. I've lived, worked and commuted through all these cities for the last 50 years. Right now I live in a gated community in La Mirada and I really like it here. 17 years ago I lived in Downey. Downey still has it's nice parts, but the city is changing... Maybe talk to a real estate agent who handles rentals?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM

987 posts, read 1,736,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Funny post. The largest amount of homes south of Del Amo is Lakewood Country Club, pretty elite. You will not find many other homes in Lakewood South of Del Amo, any you do find are pretty nice. You will not find a bad street in Lakewood other than the west side of the mall.

There is a small bit called East Lakewood at Del Amo and the riverbed. Mostly all mobile homes.

I would steer clear of apartments west of the Lakewood mall.
yep thanks for the correction (& pointing out my misinformation) D'oh!,

sorry, it had been years since I lived out there (90's) & couldn't remember sense of direction, I did ask someone, hence the error. All I remember is how nice it was w/the huge trees everywhere, & the easy access to LB, but I also remember some parts were not so pleasant (the area u mentioned.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles