Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 PM

7 posts, read 16,209 times

Advertisements

Hiya,

We're moving to LA in the fall and have decided on Santa Monica as it seems a good choice for thirty somethings with young children.

If anyone could help with the following I'd be really grateful.

-Any suggestions for nice areas to live? Ideally we'd like a 3 bed rental near the beach with a pool for $4000 a month. Is this at all possible? I've heard about complexes with pools but I've no idea how much they cost or in what area I'd find one.

-We're looking for a good Montessori nursery/school. So far I've found Santa Monica Montessori and New Path. Does anyone have an experience of these or know of other Montessories not too far from S.M? Do we have any chance of getting in once the academic year has started?

-Finally, how safe is Santa Monica? I lived in London before having kids so Im fairly streetwise but now Im a mum Im anxious about being in too edgy an area. Obviously you have to be careful but it would be nice to feel relaxed especially when out with the little ones.

Thanks again for any tips or info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,638,438 times
There are many many British ex-pats living in the SM area. you'll feel right at home. There are even shops in the area that stock foods & teas imported from the UK. Definitely checkout westsiderentals.com for suggestions on homes/condos for rent. At $4k you should have a number of choices as long as you're not looking for high-end luxury units.

And as far as safety, just don't provoke the homeless bums and you'll be fine. SM may not be as immaculate & posh as other glamourous coastal cities like Newport or Laguna but it's still upscale & very safe by LA standards.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,579,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
There are many many British ex-pats living in the SM area. you'll feel right at home. There are even shops in the area that stock foods & teas imported from the UK. Definitely checkout westsiderentals.com for suggestions on homes/condos for rent. At $4k you should have a number of choices as long as you're not looking for high-end luxury units.

And as far as safety, just don't provoke the homeless bums and you'll be fine. SM may not be as immaculate & posh as other glamourous coastal cities like Newport or Laguna but it's still upscale & very safe by LA standards.
There's also a good pub there by the beach with excellent fish and chips!

Ye Olde King’s Head British Santa Monica Pub

Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM

44 posts, read 112,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by british Mum View Post
Hiya,

We're moving to LA in the fall and have decided on Santa Monica as it seems a good choice for thirty somethings with young children.

If anyone could help with the following I'd be really grateful.

-Any suggestions for nice areas to live? Ideally we'd like a 3 bed rental near the beach with a pool for $4000 a month. Is this at all possible? I've heard about complexes with pools but I've no idea how much they cost or in what area I'd find one.

-We're looking for a good Montessori nursery/school. So far I've found Santa Monica Montessori and New Path. Does anyone have an experience of these or know of other Montessories not too far from S.M? Do we have any chance of getting in once the academic year has started?

-Finally, how safe is Santa Monica? I lived in London before having kids so Im fairly streetwise but now Im a mum Im anxious about being in too edgy an area. Obviously you have to be careful but it would be nice to feel relaxed especially when out with the little ones.

Thanks again for any tips or info.
4k a month? you could live just about anywhere in LA you wanted with that kind of loot.

Santa Monica is very safe and there is a large British community in santa monica

Old 07-06-2010, 09:17 PM

52,417 posts, read 52,930,537 times
4k a month can get you a pretty nice place in a alot of good areas.

I'd personally avoid Santa Monica just because of the crowds and traffic, but if you don't mind that then go for it.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 AM

27 posts, read 92,583 times
The Peoples Republic of Santa Monica. No thanks, Too expensive, too much traffic, limited parking, 10,000 parking police and the town is maybe 75% renters. The beach is a big yawn and is for the inner city ghetto folks. Santa Monica Bay is semi polluted, LA sewage plant is just a ways south in El Segundo. Don't ever eat any fish out of the Bay. Way too many street bums. The city feeds and protects them. Way too many dumpster divers. I'm starting to itch now talking about the place.

One redeeming place....Santa Monica Sea Food market. You can keep the rest for free.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,680,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2 View Post
The Peoples Republic of Santa Monica. No thanks, Too expensive, too much traffic, limited parking, 10,000 parking police and the town is maybe 75% renters.
That also describes Beverly Hills.

The only places on the westside that have a majority of homeowners are Culver City and Westchester. And CC's fanatical about parking tickets, too (and has a police department that's even more heavy handed than SM's).

LA's fanatical about tickets as well. It seems that any neighborhood in LA in which parking enforcement aren't scared to go to is plagued with them.

Quote:
Way too many street bums.
SM cracked down on the homeless in a big way - which has created problems in Venice.

For me personally, SM's too sterile, although less so down south. But then, with Venice next door, there's always an escape from sterility. SM is definitely safe, and has a large number of Brits.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 AM

44 posts, read 112,649 times
Santa Monica is one of the best cities in LA to live in. I don't understand this peoples republic of Santa Monica nonsense. Would you rather live in a community that doesn't invest in it's infrastructure? Santa Monica is a beautiful city. Has one of the best public libraries in all of LA. Has great resteraunts and night life. You have the beaches, the boardwalk, 3rd st. SM is a great place to live.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:31 PM

22 posts, read 108,627 times
I love living in Santa Monica and for $4,000 you could probably rent a very nice home north of Montana. (I think that makes you VERY lucky.) You'll find that the schools are very good, too.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 PM

55 posts, read 90,749 times
Santa Monica is a great escape from Pasadena(where I live). It does look crowded in the touristy area, which is the most appealing aspect of SM. The areas more inland doesnt seem that appealing to me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles