Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,470 times

Advertisements

Mu husband and I are in our early 50's and live in a very snowy part of Colorado. With an adventurest spirit, we are thinking of saving some money and moving to California to find jobs. Any advice about the job market and the cost of living would be appreciated. Moving from the mts. to the city may be a big change for us, however, we are really tired of the snow and cold. How much do you think we should save and is it insane of us to move to Cali without jobs? One of the job placement services stated that companies wont even look at a resume if you live out of state, so what do we do? Any advice out there? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
do you have a lot saved?

Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,965 times
Um. Make sure you have jobs before moving and/or quitting the ones you already have. Economy kinda sucks big time out here.

May want to consider Oregon.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 AM

70 posts, read 178,557 times
Speaking of Cali... where would it be better to try besides Oregon? Is the city like Los Angeles pretty tough to find jobs too? I've been reading online news, practically it is pretty hard anywhere so it is just best to aim which is at least feasible to move-to. I'm interested to know too from the residents of Cali or LA if there are any.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerankinn View Post
Speaking of Cali... where would it be better to try besides Oregon? Is the city like Los Angeles pretty tough to find jobs too? I've been reading online news, practically it is pretty hard anywhere so it is just best to aim which is at least feasible to move-to. I'm interested to know too from the residents of Cali or LA if there are any.
L.A unemployment rate is about 13%, which is about 3% higher than the national average. However, the whole state is kind of a mess, economically.

You might love the weather in California, and that will be very important if you can't find jobs.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek2Serve View Post
Thinking about moving to Cali--advice????
Cali, Columbia is quite a move. Why are you posting this in a California thread?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
L.A unemployment rate is about 13%, which is about 3% higher than the national average.
Thirty percent higher or three percentage points higher.

If in one group of 100 people, 10 are unemployed and in another group of 100 people, 13 people are unemployed, the second group has thirty percent more unemployed people.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:51 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
I just read that, according to the latest census, california is gaining in foreign born, I'm guessing mexican, and losing it indigenous population to other states. Where are they moving to? oregon, arizona, nevada, colorado, and even my little state of arkansas. Nothing personal but......just what are you people thinking.......?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 AM

422 posts, read 1,819,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I just read that, according to the latest census, california is gaining in foreign born, I'm guessing mexican, and losing it indigenous population to other states. Where are they moving to? oregon, arizona, nevada, colorado, and even my little state of arkansas. Nothing personal but......just what are you people thinking.......?
Pretty clear what YOU'RE thinking, gringo.

BTW, I'm from Arkansas myself, whose "indigenous population" was forcibly displaced by Europeans about three centuries ago.

To the OP, we don't call it "Cali." (Also, the city by the bay is not "Frisco.") And anyone thinking of moving here right now, without a job already in hand, is nuts.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:49 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
The OP has it backwards: Californians move to Colorado, not the other way around.

The biggest thing will be the difference in property taxes. Colorado has incredibly low property taxes; California's rates are outrageous. I pay $8,000 a year here in California for property taxes. I've spent loads of time in Colorado and a comparable house there would be about $1900.

So make sure you have a fat wallet before coming here. And don't even contemplate it unless you have jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles