Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM

69 posts, read 149,801 times

Advertisements

We're renovating a house we just bought and while I don't expect people to show up with baked goods welcoming us like it's Mayberry, I was taken aback by a note on my car: "Please park in front of your own house so we and our guests can park in front of ours."

No "Hi." No closing. No signature.

Another lady three doors down admonished me for parking one day in front of her house.

Is all of LA territorial parking Nazis who express hostility to new neighbors?

Geesh! New York City is a LOT friendlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Parking can get fierce. I had a neighbor who parked his motorhome in front of my house for years till I left a nore for him. Welcome to LA.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPorterPitt View Post
We're renovating a house we just bought and while I don't expect people to show up with baked goods welcoming us like it's Mayberry, I was taken aback by a note on my car: "Please park in front of your own house so we and our guests can park in front of ours."

Another lady three doors down admonished me for parking one day in front of her house.

Maybe they realized you came from jersey.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
can't judge a city of millions on a couple of neighbors. but as a general rule people are crazy about parking here.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
It also depends where in LA you are. Are you in a place like the Miracle Mile or Echo Park where parking is tight?

Please don't act like it couldn't happen in NY. If you're in an area where parking is at a premium people get funny about that.

And if you're renovating a house do you have a few trucks taking up several spaces?

I don't think you're telling the whole story.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,060 times
Yes people are unfriendly here. I am from the south and appalled at the rudeness here. NO MANNERS. When I go to Brentwood, Marina del Rey, Pacific Palisades they seem to have a lot more manners. But in the hustling city very rude people.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:40 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It also depends where in LA you are. Are you in a place like the Miracle Mile or Echo Park where parking is tight?

Please don't act like it couldn't happen in NY. If you're in an area where parking is at a premium people get funny about that.

And if you're renovating a house do you have a few trucks taking up several spaces?

I don't think you're telling the whole story.
I like you

Old 02-12-2011, 09:50 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
I think the whole "LA people are rude" thing is hype. People are always nice to me and my mates. I bought my sister out here twice and we spent fun times in coffee shops of echo park and hollywood getting chatty with new people. I remember being in Echo Park at a restaurant with no where to sit and this big group took us in and offered us wine and garlic bread. Fun times.

I think some people are just too sensitive or come from those small friendly towns where everyone knows each others name (and business ugh). I find New York and New Jersey to be VERY rude. I always have drama there and the men are so aggressive. I remember asking a shop-keeper for directions and he was so huffy puffy with me like it was such a crime. Geez.

Every time I stop at Philadelphia airport, I have to switch into b****-mode. It's just pure unnecessary rudeness.

Anyway that's enough

Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPorterPitt View Post

Yes, and the longer you live here you'll see why.

I'm from NYC too and I don't have a car anymore, but in my apartment building I have a parking space that I pay for and I'm fiercely possessive of it.

I want it for MY friends and guests to park in. Last week, my friend came to visit me and there was someone parked in my space with a note telling me to call them to remove their car. I was so freaking pissed!!!

I had to walk all the way to exit to use my phone and when the knucklehead answered, I didn't say hi, hello or how you're doing. I told him his car was parked in my space and to move it. He sound dumbfounded for a minute and said "Oh yeah, you want me to move it?"

No, you idiot I'm calling to say "hi". I told him "Yes, I need my space" and hung up.

It's disrespectful. I pay for that parking space and don't want anyone in it, except ME or MY guests.

You'll feel the same way soon enough.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I like you

Thanks.

And I agree about people in LA. I lived in LA for over 20yrs and didn't find people rude. In fact most people seem pretty happy.

As far as the poster who talked about southern manners. Well yes on the surface they may come off as having better manners, but have an issue and the manners go by the wayside rather quickly.

There also not too fond of "outsiders".

It is a "fake friendly" that is very disingenuous in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles