Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times

Advertisements

For the past few days I have noticed the Los Angeles river in the South Pasadena area, flowing with higher than usual levels.
I would estimate that Billion upon billions of gallons of water are flowing into the ocean from just this one source.
With the rain today, it is higher than usual, but still it is headed too the ocean.
Why, with the shortage of water in the central valley of California, is this terrible waste of water allowed?
Farmers have closed up and gone under for want of water for their crops.
With budget shortfalls, I guess there are no plans to divert this much needed resource to where it is desperately needed.
Seeing all this water flowing into the ocean when it is so desperately needed elsewhere is a disgrace.
There has to be a way to get this water to where it is needed, instead of needlessly filling the ocean with it.
What a terrible waste.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 03:45 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i'm no irrigation expert, but i would imagine the cost of pumping the water to the central valley makes this practice cost prohibitive, especially for a water source that is completely dry for much of the year.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
For the past few days I have noticed the Los Angeles river in the South Pasadena area, flowing with higher than usual levels.
I would estimate that Billion upon billions of gallons of water are flowing into the ocean from just this one source.
With the rain today, it is higher than usual, but still it is headed too the ocean.
Why, with the shortage of water in the central valley of California, is this terrible waste of water allowed?
Farmers have closed up and gone under for want of water for their crops.
With budget shortfalls, I guess there are no plans to divert this much needed resource to where it is desperately needed.
Seeing all this water flowing into the ocean when it is so desperately needed elsewhere is a disgrace.
There has to be a way to get this water to where it is needed, instead of needlessly filling the ocean with it.
What a terrible waste.
Bob.

My guess is the snow that accumulated months ago has been melting over the past few weeks with all those 70s and 80s days we had.
Also, I think some water runoff is actually captured in underground aquifers but I'm not sure where these are located and from what sources they're fed.

http://www.wrd.org/DistrictMap.pdf

http://www.wrd.org/engineering/pdf/gwe_fall2k.pdf

from

Water Replenishment District of Southern California: Los Angeles groundwater

Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,501 times
According to what I've read there's no cost-effective way to capture runoff & store it for warmer months right now. There are small-scale experiments using aquafields & underground tanks but nothing that's practical for commercial agriculture.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,383 times
Quote:
Something is wrong here.
Okay...
Quote:
Aha...you used the wrong 'to'. What do I win?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Awhile it seems wasteful there is a whole ecology dependent on brackish water. Brackish water is where fresh water meets the ocean. Treated water also is wasted because most people do not want their water only a few steps downhill of treating crap. Instead it is used to water landscape on golf courses and freeway on ramps.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
What a terrible waste.
Bob.
There's already expensive systems in place to deliver water over the high geographical features (aka mountains) TO us. However, it flows one way. To duplicate that infrastructure in order to pump seasonal runoff water the other way so the CV can use it for irrigation would be a foolhardy waste of money.

Anyway, they almost always get rain when we get it, and more of it, so delivering our runoff to them would be carrying coal to Newcastle.

EDIT: It would be much easier to let that stupid fish go extinct so the current ag water restrictions up there can be lifted.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 AM

422 posts, read 1,818,541 times
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.
Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i'm no irrigation expert, but i would imagine the cost of pumping the water to the central valley makes this practice cost prohibitive, especially for a water source that is completely dry for much of the year.
This is pretty much it although I'm an electrical engineer not a civil engineer. It's expensive to pump water up-hill, and also as another person mentioned you would need another pipeline going the other direction (or modifications to the existing system to make it bi-directional). And as a point of practicality, the water in the LA river and flood channels is more or less polluted and probably not fit for watering food crops. That is why there is are some projects disbursing the water locally through ponds that allow the water to seep underground and become purified before it enters the aquifer and can then be tapped by wells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles