U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM

14 posts, read 67,880 times

Advertisements

So I lucked out and managed to track down a job in LA. It's not the best job, but it'll help me get to where I'm going and, more importantly, will help me survive while I establish residency for grad school (yes, I'd like $8,000 off my tuition please). I'm sure that it will be much, much easier to get a better job in LA once I have a CA address.

Anyway, I'm off work this week and considering that I won't have another week off work before I move, I'd like to take this time to clean out all my crap and start organizing before my cross-country trip in July. The less clothing I bring with me, the better, since we've decided to drive and visit friends rather than fly and ship our stuff. I should mention that I'm taking a bit of a paycut in order to move, so I'd rather purchase any wardrobe additions in Boston where I know all the good deals rather than shop in LA when I arrive (I'm also going to be way too busy when I first get there to shop for clothes).

My practical question for the forum is what kind of materials should I pack for the weather? I'm guessing that I would wear what I would normally wear for a spring/summer in Boston. I know that it's not always 80 degrees year-round but I'm hoping I can ditch the thick wool sweaters that I frequently wear from September to March (or leave them behind for when I visit for Christmas).

If it helps, here's my current warddrobe for what I would normally wear for a Massachusett's summer:

I have about 6 pairs of jeans, 5 or 6 plain tanktops and 5 or 6 nicer tanktops wth embellishments, 10-12 skirts of various lengths/weights and a whole drawer of t-shirts. I also have 5 or 6 sundresses and 2 really nice summer dresses. Right now I have 1 pair of capris and only 1 pair of sandals and 1 pair of flip flops (I'm guessing I'll need more). I also only own 1 bikini. I have 3 pairs of sneakers, 2 pairs of ballet flats, and a bunch of heels. No shorts because I hate shorts and they look terrible on my body-type. I don't mind wearing jeans in 90 degree weather anyway.

Aside from what I would consider summer clothing, my fall/winter wardrobe includes 10-15 sweaters, 4 cardigans, 4 or 5 long-sleeved t-shirts, 4 or 5 long sleeved dress shirts, 2 blazers, 3 pairs of dress pants (my last job wasn't very dressy and neither is the job I'm starting in LA - more of a jean culture), and 4 pairs of fashion boots. That's one question I have - can I get away with wearing boots in LA or will I overheat/look stupid? I wear boots in September here when it's in the 70s and sometimes it's a little warm but I see plenty of other Bostonian ladies doing the same thing.

I also have about 10 coats ranging from "I'm such a light jacket that you could wear me on a 65 degree day" to "I'm what you wear in negative 7 weather." What's the coldest it'll ever get in LA? If I could leave my two heaviest coats behind, it would probably free up space for a bunch more tanktops/t-shirts. I'm also wondering - am I going to want any of the knit hats and gloves? I have 5 or 6 scarves as well ranging from light silk scarves to heavy wool.

Any other clothing-related advice? I'll even take style advice since I like having my own point of view, but I think it would also be fun to try out some new SoCal inspired looks when I move. I have an artsy eclectic style, kind of hipster meets romantic goth (if that makes sense) with a dash of vintage. If it helps, I'm 25 and I'm already considering adding some clubbing clothes to my wardrobe since the more I read about LA the more it seems like the clubbing culture is a bigger deal there than here in Boston. Any help is definitely appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM

964 posts, read 2,496,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImogenRose View Post

My practical question for the forum is what kind of materials should I pack for the weather?

Short and tight.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:55 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Uh, thanks. The visual is especially...evocative.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 AM

10,629 posts, read 24,927,781 times
You can wear boots in LA. Leave your heaviest coats behind; if you get cold or go to the mountains you can always either borrow something or just layer. (and LA's second-hand stores offer the BEST deals on warm winter clothes!) I never wore a hat (I'm not a hat kind of person, though), but did wear gloves sometimes. You might get some use out of the scarves, although probably not the warmest ones. Our office was FREEZING, so layers (and an emergency shawl for wrapping around me on really cold days) were always useful. You'll probably want more sandals, assuming that you like them. There is no real "southern CA style", as it's more of an anything-goes kind of thing. Then again, I never went clubbing in LA, so have no idea what that world is like. Tons of hipsters and hipsters-meet-romantic goth/vintage types around, though. I had a big warm Norwegian sweater that I wore only a couple of times during my entire five years in California, although I did frequently during winter months wear a light-weight jacket.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 AM

22,110 posts, read 19,917,197 times
What line of work are you in? To what part of L.A. will you be moving? You'll be arriving when it's scorching hot. I think I'd wait and not buy anything until you arrive.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 AM

32,524 posts, read 33,824,098 times
I'd seriously advise you not to buy anything until you get to L.A. and settle in. You need to take the time to see how the locals, and most important the people you work with, dress.

Plus there are some very cool stores here with great clothes. The last thing you are gong to want is to come here, see those stores, and wish you hadn't blown your clothing budget in Boston.

You'll find the time to shop. Believe me on this one.

Best of luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM

Yes, I'll echo that advice; wait to buy. Maybe get a pair of sandals there if you see a pair you like and is cheap enough, otherwise you'll have plenty of opportunities to find affordable options once you get to LA, and that will also give you a good excuse to get out and know the area! (and very good point about how people at your specific work dress; you won't know the ins and outs until you've spent a little time in the office, and it sounds like you're in good shape with the basics already.)

Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What line of work are you in? To what part of L.A. will you be moving? You'll be arriving when it's scorching hot. I think I'd wait and not buy anything until you arrive.
I'll be working at a non-profit where I'll be doing some running some events and also going into schools to give presentations. All the photos from the website show the non-profit workers in mostly jeans and matching t-shirts/sweatshirts, so I won't need a very large work-wardrobe initially.

I could probably hold off on buying some things. I'm just guessing that I might need a few staples to get started with (for instance, my local Urban Outfitters is having a ridiculous sale with dresses and tanks for $7 each, so I'm going to buy a few more things there today).

Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 AM

14,531 posts, read 17,646,864 times
Note I am a man and know very little about fashion except what I see on the people around me. The main thing you need to know about Los Angeles (and all the West Coast for that matter) is that we are very, very informal, not only in how we dress but in socializing too. For example, my main "uniform" is blue jeans, t-shirt and sport shoes. At work I'd wear a long sleeve shirt to dress up a bit (professional job) but many of my colleagues wore t-shirts even at work. The women tended to be a bit more upscale but only a teensy amount. Dresses? Probably not unless you're at executive level. Women often wear slacks or jeans (office workers).

Your whole wardrobe sounds fine to me. Bring it all if you can, then once you get hip to the styles here you can toss whatever you don't need. Or leave behind or get rid of some of your heaviest, warmest winter clothing. Unless you'll be working up in the mountains (Big Bear, etc.) it almost never gets below freezing, and even then mainly at night. Gloves? I doubt very many people own them. I myself lost my umbrella for a couple years (behind something in my closet) and I hardly missed it. Boots? If they're heavy black work boots you've already got a start on a Goth wardrobe! People sometimes wear boots but usually only because they like them or it's part of some style message they're sending. Bring 'em, you can toss 'em later if you don't use them.

From what I hear (remember, I'm a guy) you might want to have that one black dress, something you wear for all formal occasions. But if you were my girlfriend or SO you probably wouldn't even need that.

Remember, we dress very casually here on the West Coast. If it's comfortable and not torn up it's probably okay. Torn up works for some style looks too, particularly if you have ink or piercing!

Think casual.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM

It is generally more casual than east coast cities, but not always; sounds like your non-profit is very casual, but for what it's worth, my non-profit's director didn't like jeans or sandals at work. We could technically wear both, but I didn't risk either for my entire first year.

I agree that your wardrobe sounds pretty good already. You have tons of tanktops, lots of skirts (I never wore shorts, either, usually only skirts and dresses or sometimes capris), and stuff for layering. I think you can leave the heaviest sweaters, definitely bring the cardigans, leave most of the coats and scarves, and bring the boots (but for style, not because you need them). I wouldn't load up on more t-shirts and tanktops if you're tight on money and space; you have a lot already, and you can easily find cheap options once you're in LA if you decide that you do want more.

If you don't want to bring all the shoes you could probably get rid of a lot of heels. Sounds like you don't wear them for work other than special events (I didn't, either), and if they're cold-weather heels you may decide that in LA you'd prefer to just go with strappy sandals or peep-toes or all those other styles that don't work well in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles