Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:58 PM

385 posts, read 721,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
I know the area before and after too, both my girls god-parents live on W. School Street/Wilmington Ave (if ur familiar w/??) I don't have a problem w/Compton, hell I use to work there years ago (B4/After the riots) I'm cool but don't go there anymore, besides I'm in the Inland Empire, far away, but not really far away from it all. My points were mainly directly at pockets of areas in each city (not attacking Compton, but the surrounding areas-they go far), have gotten bad, but in a whole, no - not the whole city is bad, theres still good left, but for example (see you got me started...lol)
I grew up in East Los Angeles, Pico Rivera & Whittier. People are goin to argue w/me on this, all those areas, now reffering only to "parts of the city(s)" have gotten bad, can't walk on the street in certain areas (I kid you not) w/out something happening, i.e., being harrassed, hit up for $$$$, etc..., I don't want my kids walking in those areas. The other parts, yes true, not bad, and some have gotten better. To each is own opinion., right?
Yeah I feel where youre coming from. Like Boyle Heights with the racial gang fights. In all honestly I think a lot of the trouble makers of the riots just grew out of it and are finally change the city. Also big business is finally investing back into the "bad areas". I do see Compton as not half as bad as before, I didnt realize it myself untill a few years ago I was house hunting and got to actually go back in the hood to see a few homes there and it suprised me how much it changed from when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 03:31 PM

987 posts, read 1,746,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
Yeah I feel where youre coming from. Like Boyle Heights with the racial gang fights. In all honestly I think a lot of the trouble makers of the riots just grew out of it and are finally change the city. Also big business is finally investing back into the "bad areas". I do see Compton as not half as bad as before, I didnt realize it myself untill a few years ago I was house hunting and got to actually go back in the hood to see a few homes there and it suprised me how much it changed from when I was a kid.

House hunting aye? Yea my girls god mother got her home pretty cheap, and its quiet, & theres latinos blended in the mix, she'll hear hip hop on one end of the house and mariachi on the other end...

And true the old gangsters are getting old, although their off spring, or the next generation of spoiled runts are learning the wrong & contributing to tagging & so forth.....

But I do see your point too, keeping it real & optimism.....

Old 03-04-2011, 03:33 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,942 times
Hell, I'm posting from Compton right now. Come visit.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
I agree the gravitation towards crime and gang activity is changing. True - people living in Compton and other notorious areas are mostly trying to work, pay off a mortgage or rent, and live their lives peacefully. I know parts of Pico Rivera and Whittier get trashed by naysayers also and these are areas I spend time in frequently. I know people here and can get along. However, if I were giving advice to a newcomer - I think i would be remiss to tell them to go to certain places without a purpose. If I am biased in this next statement, please call me on it - I would classify Compton as a place I would not direct someone to - while Pico Rivera/Whittier I might - simplky cuz I am more acquainted with it. All this is subjective - and I do listen to those who support Compton and it's "rennaissance" - i want to hear all opinions. There are simply some areas us LA natives know to avoid - I'm sorry if that sounds bad - but it is true. I occasionally have reason to go to South central LA - when I go it is for business - I don't just hang out - cuz I'm not a resident. Sense of community is strong in LA - and WHo belongs in the community trumps all other criteria I believe. Anyways, I am glad to hear Compton is "recovering" from it's troublesome past - I look for ward to the day I can tell my out of state friends that they can visit there and don't have to be extra careful.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 PM

987 posts, read 1,746,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I agree the gravitation towards crime and gang activity is changing. True - people living in Compton and other notorious areas are mostly trying to work, pay off a mortgage or rent, and live their lives peacefully. I know parts of Pico Rivera and Whittier get trashed by naysayers also and these are areas I spend time in frequently. I know people here and can get along. However, if I were giving advice to a newcomer - I think i would be remiss to tell them to go to certain places without a purpose. If I am biased in this next statement, please call me on it - I would classify Compton as a place I would not direct someone to - while Pico Rivera/Whittier I might - simplky cuz I am more acquainted with it. All this is subjective - and I do listen to those who support Compton and it's "rennaissance" - i want to hear all opinions. There are simply some areas us LA natives know to avoid - I'm sorry if that sounds bad - but it is true. I occasionally have reason to go to South central LA - when I go it is for business - I don't just hang out - cuz I'm not a resident. Sense of community is strong in LA - and WHo belongs in the community trumps all other criteria I believe. Anyways, I am glad to hear Compton is "recovering" from it's troublesome past - I look for ward to the day I can tell my out of state friends that they can visit there and don't have to be extra careful.
Well done!!!!!
I couldn't agree more!!!! & (three thumbs up)

Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahand View Post
I'm considering moving out to cali and could probably only afford to live in a place lice compton. I'm an iranian guy and my parents lived in very poor areas in iran, i'm in baltimore city. Compton would be considered a middle class community here, why do people call it a ghetto?
Might look nicer than the ghettos in Baltimore because of the palm trees etc, but Compton isn't a place I would want to call home. It sounds like you have only seen pictures of it, maybe you need to visit before you decide where you want to move.

You might want to remember, it is California or Ca, not Cali. Cali is in another country.

Nita

Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No, it's not ghetto. It's pretty nice.

I tried to rep you, but couldn't. Ha!

Aight!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Might look nicer than the ghettos in Baltimore because of the palm trees etc, but Compton isn't a place I would want to call home. It sounds like you have only seen pictures of it, maybe you need to visit before you decide where you want to move.
Looks good in the daytime, becomes difficult at night.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
I wonder if who wrote/performed that dumb song "Goin Back to Cali" that was radio in the 90's ever DID go back to Colombia?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

You might want to remember, it is California or Ca, not Cali. Cali is in another country.

Nita

Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrier View Post
i wonder if who wrote/performed that dumb song "goin back to cali" that was radio in the 90's ever did go back to colombia?!
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles