Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,481,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
So the Russian Mafiya behaves just like the Italian Mafia, if not worse? I didn't know Los Angeles still have deadly organized crime syndicates like they did in the old days. So the Mafiya still runs West Hollywood?
I don't know about now.

In 1992 they had a heavy presence - enough to scare gangbangers - and may or may not still have some presence. Whether today's gangbangers are as scared of them as those of 20 years ago is unknown to me.

L.A.'s Russian population is more spread out today than 1992. There are more Russians in the wealthy westside and SE Valley hoods. As to how many of them are mob connected (or merely pretend to be) your guess is as good as mine. There are wanna-be Russian mobsters just like there are wanna-be mafiosi.

I would definitely NOT mess with the Russian mafiya or anything related to them. They are very ruthless and deadly. Then again, if you don't have "ties" or threaten them in any way they'll leave you alone. Which is better than can be said for other criminal groups. They have worked together with the Armenian mob - I read about the bust of Armenian Power in the Valley and a Russian "vor" (member of a Russian prison gang that goes back to Czarist days) was arrested along with the Armenian gangsters - only the second time a "vor" has ever been arrested in the USA. There have been rumors about the Russian mafiya working with the Sinaloa cartel as well, but I don't know much about this. Otherwise, I'm not an expert on them.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 PM

26,598 posts, read 26,491,347 times
The L.A. Riots: 20 years later: Where they are now - Data Desk - Los Angeles Times

Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 PM

203 posts, read 575,084 times
I live on Harvard and Florence, which is like half a mile from Florence and Normandie. So yeah, too much to remember.

My friend who loves a block away from there remembers this one guy who used to buy her ice cream when she was seven. She said she was watching the news, and saw that he was one of the guys who pulled Reginald Denny out. He was a gang member, but wasn't really a "menace" in the hood like that...which could explain why he took out his anger on an innocent driver.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:39 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,216,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The L.A. Riots: 20 years later: Where they are now - Data Desk - Los Angeles Times

King, 47, has spent his multimillion dollar award. He has had frequent run-ins with police for domestic violence, substance abuse and driving under the influence.
LOL...and all that chaos 20 years ago was catalyzed by his failure to yield to authorities...

Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,136,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
What are your memories of the La Riots?
They were a riot!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I remember being absolutely stunned while watching the coverage of it: the explosive anger in reaction to the verdict about King's beating, the fact that the LAPD was videotaped by a bystander, the horrific experience of Reginald Denny, the looting. It was overwhelming. I was amazed not to see more coverage of the 20th anniversary of it in the newspapers. This was the only article I read.
Rodney King beating: Twenty years after the beating of Rodney King, the LAPD is a changed operation - latimes.com
I was a passive participant in the rebellion. I was at Parker Center to protest against the LAPD and to let them know enough was enough and they were no better than the Crips, Bloods and other associated human excerment that roam the streets here. The LAPD had become just another gang like the ones it was supposed to be fighting. So while I myself did not engage in acts of violence, I certainly did not discourage others from doing so. I thought the rebellion was totally justified and necessary to let the LAPD know the end of the rope had been reached. Nobody likes seeing death and destruction but sometimes they are necessary for freedom. That is supposedly why we are always having wars with other countries isn't it? Yes, people died but I would argue that many more potential lives were saved by that rebellion. Now the LAPD does not shoot people on a whim and ask questions later. They are not back to the days of "Dragnet" yet but they are a lot better now than they used to be. I have noticed a big jump in courtesy and professional behavior since those days.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
i came out of church, they said it was gonna be unsafe but we didnt believe it. we were going to pizza hut on washington and main. we got there and it was up in flames... we got on the freeway and took off to rialto (middle of nowhere at that time), and got a hotel, we went to the market in the night only to walk in and the whhhollleee super market stoped and looked at us, they followed us throughout the market, i was a kid at the time and didnt understand why, my mom told me later because we were mexican and they thought we would bring the riots with us. we went back the next day, and my grandfather took my bigger brother, 12 at the tine and gave him a shot gun and climbed onto the corner street market's brother with others and pointed it at any rioters trying to break in. we stayed at my grandparents, and saw the national gaurd hit every other house on the block and pull out adults and kids and handcuffed little kids my age while they patted them down and searched their homes. after that day we didnt have any big business around, mc ds came back to south central when i was in middle school, we ate tacos everyday and bought meat daily from mom and pop shops.
growing up i hold anger to a lot of people today which i didnt when i was young. i understand it now and hold anger to the police, towards the korean lady who shot the black girl in the liqour store, the judge who just gave her probation, rodney king for being drunk, the people who pulled the white man out his car and beat him... they didnt know that their children would grow up in a place where racial tension would be at a height nowhere else in the us has seen, poor whites even in detroit can hang with blacks in south central i never seen a white person. we never knew things like toys r us, or half of the things on the tv. if it wasnt for my parents drivibg us out 45 mins away for decent food i would know nothing other than the ghetto. i feel bad fir my friends, i take them out and they tell me, they never ate a steak or sushi, makes you think a whole generation grew from that...
The main thing I blamed was the judicial system here which seemed to communicate that it was open season on black and brown people and that they would never ever find any justice in the system here. The LA rebellion was much more than just Rodney King. It was also Lathsha Harkins and all the other BS that happaned before Rodney King. How can you murder a 14 year old kid by shooting her in the back of the head and walk out scott free? That can never ever be explained. Especially since the video showed clearly that she did not steal the bottle of juice that the lady thought she stole. Those things are what the rebellion was all about. People were more mad about that than they were Rodney King. If it had just been Rodney King as an isolated thing and not a long standing pattern, there would most likely have never been a rebellion.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
I remember wondering how people could be so savage as to attack the firemen and paramedics who were dispatched to try and help the residents of various neighborhoods.

I also remembering discovering Howard Stern, who was new on L.A. radio at the time, and hearing him pontificate on the riots. Remember the song he did, asking African-Americans not to attack Koreans?
Firemen and paramedics were viewed the same way as the LAPD was. They were "occupiers" not coming to the aid of the blacks and latinos but to the Koreans and others to put out the fires and save the property of the killers of Latasha Harkins. That is why they were shot at. I notice now that the LAFD hires blacks and latinos. I remember when they were virtually almost all white.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledabout View Post
I saw similar things teaching in Chicago. Obviously there haven't been riots as recently as in LA, but that city is still incredibly segregated--this began back when the housing projects were built and carried over into the inequity of school funding, among other things. Many of the students I had were in high school and had never been out of the neighborhood, let alone out of Chicago. Many of them had not seen Lake Michigan even though they only lived a couple of miles from there. It was jarring how isolated they were, so I can imagine it is similar in any inner-city ghetto situation. People outside of that situation point a lot of fingers but should really be more patient. Many in such a situation do not realize they have options, let alone the opportunity to take advantage of such options.
The indians have been patient for 200+ years now. The slaves were patient for 300 years and it took a bloody civil war to end that. You cannot oppress and murder people forever and expect to get away with it and for them not to get pissed off. The white power structure have found that they cannot quite get away with trying to bully blacks like they used to so now they are going after the Mexicans who will be the next to rebel.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM

26,598 posts, read 26,491,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
LOL...and all that chaos 20 years ago was catalyzed by his failure to yield to authorities...
"LOL" ? You can't be serious. King hardly deserves your comment.
Rodney King, 20 years after L.A.'s riots - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles