U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 PM

75 posts, read 402,503 times

Advertisements

My family and I are going to be moving to Los Angeles because I have accepted a job in Beverly Hills. We've narrowed it down to two houses. The one in Cheviot Hills is 600 square feet larger and $500,000 cheaper, but has virtually no backyard. The house in Holmby Hills is smaller and more expensive, but it has a backyard with a pool. Which sounds better? What aspects about the communities may sway our decision?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 PM

7,195 posts, read 20,740,933 times
both are incredibly nice neighborhoods and i'm extremely envious that you have the ability to choose between the two. holmby hills has more traffic as it's closer to ucla, wilshire blvd and sunset blvd. it's also home to the playboy mansion and the spelling manor (most expensive home in the country i believe). cheviot hills is a classic old money la neighborhood. it's like the westside's version of hancock park. there's definitely less traffic and it's hidden away bit, everything is a few minutes further away. you also have easier freeway access in cheviot hills. if you're working in beverly hills then it's a toss up as far as commute. it's really about which neighborhood you prefer. one other plus about the cheviot hills is that you'll rarely see guys on the corner selling "maps to the stars" or tourist buses driving celebrity stalkers around.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 PM

4,213 posts, read 7,620,112 times
holmby hills is far superior in terms of reputation, safety, and location. cheviot is a nice area but a little insular and hidden. it's also closer to bad areas... I mean the most unsafe part of the westside is adjacent to cheviot.

holmby is easy access to the freeways, to the valley, to westside, to hollywood, can't go wrong there.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 32,226 times
Do you mean Holmby Hills (north of Sunset) or what is called "Little Holmby" (between Sunset and Wilshire)? I ask this because the price differential does not suggest Holmby Hills. That said, I currently live in Cheviot Hills and grew up in Little Holmby. They are both nice neighborhoods, well-cated, safe, etc. Yes, parts of Cheviot are closer to less safe areas, but the Cheviot neighborhood, especially the northern parts, is very safe.

When my husband and I first bought in Cheviot in 1986, we were also considering Little Holmby. At that point the price differential was somewhere between $50,000 and $100.000. (The house we bought in Cheviot was $650,000.) While we did very well on that house when we sold about 12 years ago, and on the house we now own in Cheviot, from an economic standpoint, we would have fared much better had we bought in Little Holmby. As the market incresed, the same percentage increase in both neighborhoods would have produced a larger dollar amount of "profit" in Little Holmby. On the other hand, a house should be purchased primarily as a "home" not an investment. Make sure the house you choose is livable for you and your family.

I don't know if public schools are an issue. While at times, Warner/Emerson/University might have been viewed as better than Overland or Crescent Heights/Palms/Hamilton, sadly, today neither set of schools is really adequate. If you have children, make sure you budget for private schools.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM

Actually, the neighborhood would technicallly be Little Holmby. The house is just off of Wilshire. The house in Cheviot is just off of Motor and Manning Avenues. Are both of those good, safe locations?
As for education, we would be able to afford private schooling, but we'd prefer public.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 PM

11 posts, read 32,226 times
both are generally safe, but Little Holmby more so. Sadly, public schools in both neighborhoods are somewhat inadequate, especially after elementary. For elementary school, both Warner Ave and Overland are both regarded as good, although there is a range of quality depending on specific teachers, I am sure.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 AM

Wilshire and what? I'd still pick Little Holmby, just a much more central and happening area, with easy access. You're truly in the Westside, Cheviot Hills is not really Westside, that's up for debate.

Warner Ave is a great elementary school. Uni and Hamilton are both bad but Uni might be slightly better. (NOTE: I've met kids who grew up in Holmby area who end up going to Santa Monica High or Beverly Hills High, there are ways to go to other local public schools, not sure how, they just needed to avoid Uni at all costs and couldn't afford private)

Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 AM

It's on Le Conte Avenue, the house in Holmby. It's nice, except for the fact that the garage in the front yard.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 AM

Beautiful neighborhood, lots of families and great landscaping. You're near a lot of things but it's quiet there. UCLA and its resources are walking distance, as are Westwood Village and its stores, bars, restaurants, and movie theaters. The 405 is a couple minutes to the west. Brentwood and Beverly Hills are only five minutes the way. The valley is a hop and a skip away if traffic is light. Santa Monica is 10 minutes away. West Hollywood about 10 also. How can you go wrong living there?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:19 AM

17,443 posts, read 26,453,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker19 View Post
Actually, the neighborhood would technicallly be Little Holmby. The house is just off of Wilshire. The house in Cheviot is just off of Motor and Manning Avenues. Are both of those good, safe locations?
As for education, we would be able to afford private schooling, but we'd prefer public.
Then I'd say neither one.
If you like the area around Holmby you're better off next door in Beverly Hills.
If you like the Cheviot area you're better off nearby in Culver City (Cheviot is just CC with pretensions, anyways ; CC schools not up to BH levels but far better than LAUSD). Beverly Hills is nearby but is going to be more expensive (with the possible exception of southeastern BH by La Cienega Park - have you thought about looking there?)
Both Cheviot and Holmby are also under LAPD jurisdiction, which can be problematic as well. If you have kids I wouldn't recommend either one especially if you want public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles