Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times

Advertisements

BREAKING NEWS: Millions of dead fish invade Redondo's King Harbor - The Daily Breeze

"Millions of dead anchovies are covering the sea bottom and floating on the surface of the water this morning at King Harbor in Redondo Beach, and officials are trying to figure out what happened."

I can hear the helicopters overhead right now. Look at that picture. Holy ****.

I was out on the beach with some friends a few days ago and there were dozens of dolphins feeding and playing. We knew there had to be zillions of fish in the area. I sure hope whatever killed these anchovies wasn't ingested by the dolphins and dead dolphins start washing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
that's going to smell so bad!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Especially because this is going to be a very warm day. Helicopters still buzzing around. I'm getting ready to walk down there, myself. If I get any good pics, I'll post them.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Whoa!! That's scary. I can imagine how bad it smells out there now! Those dead fish look like snakes!

Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Just heard that the apparent cause of their death were the extraordinarily high winds yesterday, which crushed them against the harbor wall and prevented them from swimming out of the marina. With them all stuck in there, they depleted the oxygen and died.

They're saying they swam into the marina to escape a deadly algae bloom, but no one has reported a "red tide" anywhere near the area. I suspect they got corralled into the marina by the dozens of dolphins I saw a few days ago, and now I'm learning, blue whales were sighted in the bay, as well (though sadly not by me). Dolphins are in the bay all the time, but I've never seen them in the numbers I did that day. Blue whales, on the other hand, rarely, if ever, are. And they didn't show up for the scenery!

We saw all the dolphins around the area marked A at the bottom/left corner of the image, all the way to the south end of the bay that you can't see in this picture.

They're finding them all over the marina, but so far they're coming to the surface in the boat docks marked by E in the image. You can clearly see how they could get trapped if they couldn't swim against the strong waters from the high winds through the relatively small opening

I'm just glad to know there's a logical, non-chemical reason for this mass death.

Last edited by Jill61; 03-08-2011 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles