Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,111 times

Advertisements

Hi, now i'm very far from LA, but dreaming about is above 2 years)
first i want to say - your forum is greate, so many info about LA I never saw before.
So, I'm going to move in LA is 2-3 next years. I'm working online, so don't need to search rent oportinities in speciall area, its doesnt matter) I dont have family and dont plan it for 5 years minimum. i'm 20 years old now.
So, i dont have some common problems like area, work, schools, traffic (maybe I'm wrong) etc. But im not rich yet (.
What I wonna ask: where to live is best in my situation? Of course, not very expensive, but safe, nice and lovely) i want this)) im looking about malibu (because of beach), Venice, because of beatifull, west hollywood, but all I find expensive. Maybe i searched bad, but want to see something about 2-3K mountly for rent.
So, first question is: what the best place in LA for relax, working at home, with beaty places and safe etc
Other questions will ask later, because first i want to read some more in the forum.
Sorry for my english, it's not perfect yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 PM

151 posts, read 224,135 times
Maybe Downtown Los Angeles or also Westwood, and if you like to be by the beach, choose anywhere in the south bay area

Old 03-18-2011, 04:35 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Do you have a valid visa to come here on? If you don't, you can't come here. Coming here on the VWP and working from home is illegal as well. You will be deported and maybe face jail time if caught, and you most likely will be banned from entering the U.S. for a number of years. You need the proper authorization to do that first.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Do you have a valid visa to come here on? If you don't, you can't come here. Coming here on the VWP and working from home is illegal as well. You will be deported and maybe face jail time if caught, and you most likely will be banned from entering the U.S. for a number of years. You need the proper authorization to do that first.
I didn't know that working from home or operating a business from home was illegal out here.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 PM

21 posts, read 74,442 times
My recommendations:

Downtown L.A. (definitely amazing place to live, not far distance-wise from even beautiful Malibu)
Calabasas (rural and adjacent to, though very different from, Malibu)
San Dimas (further away from the beach, but still not too far, and in the San Gabriel Valley -- quaint atmosphere (not unlike that aspect of Calabasas))
Pasadena (also San Gabriel Valley, very central location to everything)
Temple City (San Gabriel Valley)
Arcadia (San Gabriel Valley)

You're right, Malibu's real estate is very expensive (but it's amazing and since it's in L.A. County and thus very accessible (from some places moreso than others), why not visit it often? -- that's what I do!), Calabasas has some very expensive real estate but look at older homes there and there's a wide price range actually, and I avoided mentioning other very vexpensive cities/areas like the San Gabriel Valley city of San Marino, but all the above mentioned feature less expensive real estate and are definitely WONDERFUL! Note: Downtown L.A. can also be very expensive, but depends on many factors, like neighborhood, apartment, loft, etc; Arcadia has mostly quite expensive real estate; Pasadena, depends where in Pasadena, and what kind of home. Feel free to ask me more questions if you want, I myself grew up in the Pasadena area but always liked and continue to like getting to know other parts of greater L.A. Oh, and no, working from home is NOT illegal here.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:51 PM

132 posts, read 364,675 times
The OP calls him/herself "future American" in the subheader, so I think that's why the other poster brought that up. It is illegal to have a home business if you're a foreigner, unless you have a visa that allows you to be in business here, which is not easy at all to get. (I'm a foreigner myself.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles