Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:09 PM

44 posts, read 109,310 times

Advertisements

I know that there are some other individuals who have asked the same question,but the details of my situation are different. And yes i will visit and stay in both places for 2 weeks before i decide,im going to do the couchsurfing thing.
But anyways,everyone on here seems very intelligent and knowledgeable i would really like your opinions please! here are my details

-im 20 and love the beach scene and ,love when everything walking distance even though i'll have a car.I'll prefer to walk when i can,we don't need more pollution in this world
- i plan on taking lots of classes like french,kickboxing etc.
-i will be auditioning for acting roles,and modelling
-want fun laid back people,want to have fun and party at times
-im single
-would like to do some volunteering helping abused children and etc.since thats a topic that hit close to home for me.

I'm torn because it seem like WeHo will offer me more things in terms of classes,and entering the "industry",and more volunteering organizations
But after reading up on everything i could about hermosa beach i love everything it has to offer as well?Please advice!!
please be kind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,311,225 times
well they are two very different areas!

weho will be much better for the "industry" (dont get me started) thing and for partying. while hermosa does have a couple dive bars, there is so much more variety and availibility in weho and adjacent hollywood.

weho is also much more walkable than hermosa. whether its the sunset strip, santa monica blvd, or melrose, you can walk to almost anything you need - including nightlife (so no DUI or cab worries)

overall it sounds like weho is better for you, it's an excellent spot for social (and single )20 somethings. hermosa is much sleepier, and while you can be social there, you're isolated from a lot of LA. are you male or female... straight females and gay males love weho, but if you're a straight male there's still plenty going on

the beach is in hermosa, but weho isn't terribly far from santa monica beach so you can go there in your spare time. unless the beach is your most important factor, weho sounds about right.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:07 PM

6 posts, read 7,872 times
weho is best for industry and the hollywood experience. hermosa beach is great too, but in a more laid back way. you can always do a 6 month lease and then move. most people move after they have been here 6-12 mos and figure out what is best. the weho party scene can steal your soul. you will end up partying and spending lots of money, but you will have better access to the things that are bringing you to los angeles.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 AM

@Disgruntled la native No DUI worries LMAO,ha don't worry never a worry for me aww theres no beach in weho?

@Downtown2011 the weho part scene will steal your soul HAHA:P yea i want to stay in hermosa for at least 2 weeks to get a nice vibe for it im excited

@KennyTheEntrepreneur thanks for the santa monica tip it sounds good,i need to read up more on it! I heard there ALOT of homeless there though! :O that kinda makes things uncomfortable when theres someone asking you for change every 15 mins

-oops sorry so many emoticons,im an expressive person lol

Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM

So i think i want to go to santa monica now! but won't most of my modelling and acting opportunities come from from weho???

Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth&love View Post
So i think i want to go to santa monica now! but won't most of my modelling and acting opportunities come from from weho???
no, there are literally job all over the city. just don't go to any modeling gigs in the valley that are north of the 101

Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
It's a no brainer: Hermosa Beach. Anything on your list it doesn't have you can drive to.

I had a friend who lived there a dozen years and I visited often. I always looked forwards to being back in HB. The only downside in my opinion is the expense of housing. If you can afford that then you're good to go.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,311,225 times
I'd also say santa monica is a good balance if you can afford the rent. close to the beach and still tons to do. far more than hermosa. only live in hermosa if you want quiet.

santa monica is ok driving to weho and hollywood, while hermosa would be hell commute

Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times
FWIW, I used to live in Manhattan Beach and knew lots and lots of industry people. Also, the Manhattan Studios are right there. It's a bit of a drive to Hollywood, however.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Thank you so much everyone,so would you guys agree that santa monica is a good balance? thanks disgruntled la native lol,i love that name ha Btw is venice out of the question too because its too far of a drive from weho and hollywood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles