U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,678 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm going to study at Musicians Institute in Hollywood Boulevard. Now, I've heard about a lot of really bad places to live in Los Angeles, so I'm really worried about it. I will not have a car while living there. What are the best areas to live in the city? Is Hollywood Boulevard safe at night? I'm looking for to live in an area that's safe at night and day.

On the other side, my mom and I are travelling to L.A. REALLY SOON, and we don't have a place to stay... MI has giving us a list of hotels and hostels for us to take a look at, but I'm not so sure if they are nice areas, and I don't want to scare my mom hahahaha. (I mean she understands the whole deal about the big city and stuff, but she is really paranoid about it, which I completely understand.)
Do you have any idea about nice hotels? We're not interested in hostels.

Please, I would appreciate your help in the subject
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 AM

3,487 posts, read 6,714,703 times
I think realistically you will need a car if you want to live in a nice neighborhood and be able to get to MI reliably... I know guys who have done it without a car but I am assuming you are a female. There are plenty of decent places to live in Hollywood if you want proximity.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 AM

10,630 posts, read 24,523,534 times
If you do a search, you'll find a couple of threads on this topic. If it were me, I'd just live by the school. That stretch of Hollywood Boulevard is safe, and when we lived there (we lived on Whitley and Yucca) there were a lot of students from the school in the building. There are a lot of apartments in the general area, many of your fellow students will be living nearby, and you can walk to work. It's tough to beat Hollywood for public transportation options, too; lots of different bus lines plus the Red Line (subway), not to mention the fact that you'll be able to walk to almost anything you need, anyway.

As far as "nice," how nice is nice? There are a ton of hotels within walking distance. My family used to stay at the Motel 6 on Whitley just because it was right by our place, and because it was cheap. It wasn't the nicest around, but it was clean and convenient and they were happy enough with it. There are far more upscale places closer to Highland, as well as lots of other little small places. I'd just pick one from the list the school gave you. Since you're there to presumably look for a place or the school, it makes sense to just stay in the immediate area.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I think realistically you will need a car if you want to live in a nice neighborhood and be able to get to MI reliably... I know guys who have done it without a car but I am assuming you are a female. There are plenty of decent places to live in Hollywood if you want proximity.
I would strongly disagree with this -- I don't think anyone would want to drive to the MI. It would cost a lot to own and maintain a car in LA and drive and park at MI; I don't know if they have their own lots or not, but I'm assuming it costs a fortune. Parking in Hollywood costs a lot. You'd have to walk to and from somewhere anyway, so why not just live in the area and then just walk to and from the apartment? MI is extremely well-situated for public transportation, so even if the OP lives elsewhere he or she will just be a couple of blocks from the subway and a block or so from bus routes.

For what it's worth, I'm female and lived in Hollywood and other parts of the city without a car.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 AM

3,487 posts, read 6,714,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I would strongly disagree with this -- I don't think anyone would want to drive to the MI. It would cost a lot to own and maintain a car in LA and drive and park at MI; I don't know if they have their own lots or not, but I'm assuming it costs a fortune. Parking in Hollywood costs a lot. You'd have to walk to and from somewhere anyway, so why not just live in the area and then just walk to and from the apartment? MI is extremely well-situated for public transportation, so even if the OP lives elsewhere he or she will just be a couple of blocks from the subway and a block or so from bus routes.

For what it's worth, I'm female and lived in Hollywood and other parts of the city without a car.
Maybe you are right. I've had friends who have done it before without a car. I don't feel safe hanging out on those streets around MI by myself though. I think OP will just have to see what her comfort zone is.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 AM

True, it will depend on her comfort zone is, but one thing to consider: if she's driving to school she'll have to probably park and walk, so realistically one way or the other she's going to be spending time on the streets of Hollywood. I personally would feel safer walking on the street than in a garage or lot, but that's me. I agree that she'll have to see for herself, but I still would be hesitant about rushing to get a car with the intent on driving to school. If she's scared of Hollywood she could try living in a different neighborhood that felt less intimidating, although I'd still recommend taking bus or subway to school itself.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,604,558 times
My Husband attended MI in the early 90's and he lived on Highland. He will tell you that Hollywood Blvd is not safe at night at all. I visited once in the late 90's and was there at night and it was creepy. During the day its fine. I was also just there back in 2009 and Hollywood Blvd had changed quite a bit. It was way more family friendly and very built up around the theatre. I was not there this time at night, so I don't know how it is now. He has a friend who lives on Formosa and has lived in the same place for 25 years, and he said all he hears day and night are helicopters searching for convicts. We also have other friends who live in the area who say they would not walk the Blvd alone at night. Lots of gang activity from what I have heard. It can be deceiving since everywhere you look looks very nice, but when the sun goes down...the freaks come out...and sometimes even during the day apparently.

Now, I don't live there, and only going by what I have witnessed long ago and hear from friends, and I can be wrong since I don't have much experience and only going on word of mouth. But I would take all of it into consideration. Just be safe no matter where you end up. I think I would rather have a longer commute and be safe and feel I can go out at night without looking over my shoulder. If not, get a big dog .

Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Flamingomo -- I never saw Hollywood in the '90s, but I've heard the stories. We were living there in the mid-2000s and we could see a difference even in the years we lived there, which were already post-gentrification. It's a totally different place now, and seems to be getting more upscale (for good or bad) by the day, at least the part of Hollywood around MI.

I actually felt safer on Hollywood Boulevard at night than during the early morning; it's packed with people at night, while out at, say, 6 am on a weekend is pretty quiet. I never witnessed any gang activity in the stretch of Hollywood Boulevard in central Hollywood. East Hollywood is still rougher. The part of Hollywood where the main MI is located (not sure if they have other spaces or campuses) is about a block away from Hollywood and Highland, which is very safe these days. Very, very touristy in that stretch, but safe.

The main thing if considering an apartment in "Hollywood" would be to make sure that the specific location feels safe enough. Since Hollywood is so big, and since so many people advertise places as Hollywood that might be elsewhere (and because even within Hollywood locations can very) specific location matters. I felt very safe in our little part of Hollywood just north of Hollywood Blvd (yucca corridor, although I've heard the stories about crime there in the '90s), but some other areas to the south felt less safe, in part because they were more industrial and had fewer people on the street.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 AM

397 posts, read 845,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvickiee View Post
Hi, I'm going to study at Musicians Institute in Hollywood Boulevard. Now, I've heard about a lot of really bad places to live in Los Angeles, so I'm really worried about it. I will not have a car while living there. What are the best areas to live in the city? Is Hollywood Boulevard safe at night? I'm looking for to live in an area that's safe at night and day.

On the other side, my mom and I are travelling to L.A. REALLY SOON, and we don't have a place to stay... MI has giving us a list of hotels and hostels for us to take a look at, but I'm not so sure if they are nice areas, and I don't want to scare my mom hahahaha. (I mean she understands the whole deal about the big city and stuff, but she is really paranoid about it, which I completely understand.)
Do you have any idea about nice hotels? We're not interested in hostels.

Please, I would appreciate your help in the subject
If you wanna impress your mom stay at the Renaissance or Roosevelt! (HA!)

Maybe try the Orchid Suites? It's in an amazing location and a bit cheaper than the Roosevelt or Renaissance but has the same location advantage they do.

A lot of MI students live in Hollywood, my street/apartment is full of MI kids, and not many drive. There is absolutely ZERO reason to drive if you go to MI and live in Hollywood. It's a common sight to see the students walking around with guitars on their back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles