Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 AM
k2o k2o started this thread

7 posts, read 12,528 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Please give me some advice.

I moved out my apartment over 2 months ago. Gave my landlord 30days notice. After moved out, I talked him on the phone. He said he'll send deposit back soon, but since then I didn’t hear from him. I filed this to small court. Finally he called me, and asked me to fix gas line extension whichi I did for laundry dryer. (I got approval from him at that time.)
He said he was told by gas company that it was illegal, and unless fix that, he couldn't have new tenant. And that is a reason of holding my deposit. I don’t think inspection really came over. Even if this was true, he supposed to return my deposit and could have explain me much earlier. I’m still thinking to bring this court though, am I responsible for the repair even 2 months passed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
This landlord has a screw missing.
It was up to him to fix the problem and return your deposit within 21 days after vacating.
Here in California, the law is, if the deposit is not returned in 21 days, you can take the landlord to court, and get twice the amount of the security deposit because it was not returned in a timely manner.
He DOES have the right to keep that part of the deposit that was used for repairs that had to be done to the unit, if the damage was caused by you, but he is obligated to submit the statement, and any funds returned to you no later than 21 days.
Bob.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks for your advice.
But I'm not sure I am responsible to fix the gas line extention before go to court.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Tell me more about this gas line extension.
Is it something you did?
Bob.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:22 PM

Yes. I did gas line extension.
Since my unit didn't have gas for dryer, with landlords approval, I asked techinisian to extend gas line from kitchin's gas stove.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Now I get it.

1: You modified the apartment by adding in a gas line that was not there when the unit was built.

2: The gas company saw the addition of the gas line and red flagged the addition meaning that they have shut down that unit for rental. Easy to do since when they see something that is not up to code that uses gas they can shut down gas to that unit.

3: Your former landlord can't rent a unit that does not have gas and is in the right here. I would venture to guess that your rental aggrement has a stipulation for making changes to the unit that you rented. Most rental agreements that I have read state that the rentor has to return the appartment back in the same condition that they rented it in.

I am amazed that anyone would have approved the addition of a gas line in open space. How far a run are we talking about? Was the dryer next to the stove?

What should have happened is you should have removed the additional gas line and capped off the line. Also in as much as the appartment did not have a dryer to begin with, what did you use for a dryer vent? I mean am I wrong to asume that the unit never had a dryer?

Old 03-17-2011, 02:33 PM

I put dryer in the kitchen and almost next to the stove.
When I asked about the vent, the landlord told me to put the hose out from the window.
I thought I should fix the gas line though, since he didn't notified me this long, I'm not sure this is my responsible...

Old 03-17-2011, 02:38 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Now I get it.

1: You modified the apartment by adding in a gas line that was not there when the unit was built. ...

I am amazed that anyone would have approved the addition of a gas line in open space. How far a run are we talking about? Was the dryer next to the stove?

What should have happened is you should have removed the additional gas line and capped off the line. Also in as much as the appartment did not have a dryer to begin with, what did you use for a dryer vent? I mean am I wrong to asume that the unit never had a dryer?
Now I get it too. Soonie is right k2o, it's on you. The best you can do now is find somebody inexpensive to go remove the line and fix things back. If it's already done then you can hope the landlord found somebody inexpensive. It will certainly come out of your deposit, and all you can hope is that it didn't take the whole thing.

Two months past now I doubt there's much you can do, and you've probably lost your deposit. You might as well man up to realizing that you made a mistake, and I hope you've learned something from this lesson.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:55 PM

362 posts, read 817,819 times
I believe that if the landlord did in fact have "someone else" fix the gas line capping, he owes K2O a documented receipt detailing the costs incurred... see pages 50 - 65ish of the handbook:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

Old 03-17-2011, 04:24 PM

Thanks to your replys.
I'll call the technician to fix gas.
But I still beleive I can bring this court. Without any explanation, landlord couldn't have hold deposit for 2months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles