Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:42 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,431,055 times

Advertisements

Yeah, there's that other silly warning I give to virgin travelers: Say, "Where's the...?" as opposed to, "Can you tell me where the...?" Because when you say "Can you tell me..." you'll get the inevitable smart-ass, "Yeah." As in, "Yeah, I can tell you but I don't want to." Because that will happen, like clockwork. It's some kind of reflex. It's just so effin' ridiculous. Because, "No, I'm sorry" just won't do. It has to be a power exchange.

Like I said, generally there are no issues. But when incidents like this happen the whole picture comes cascading at you. And sadly, you're forced to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:22 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,470,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
People from the NE refer to that behavior as "being real". They have a point, except they didn't add the word "a'holes".

I LOVE THIS!! It's so true! I know someone who always claims she's "being real" when in actuality, she's just a rude, hateful person.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:50 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,211,258 times
"I'm just being real" is what people from the northeast tell themselves to justify their a-hole behavior. Or why they're so cold.

And it's not true. There are just as many phony people out there as there are here. Only, in LA, they're more obvious about it and easier to spot.

As to why they're jerks over there... it's the weather, the traffic, and the Puritan "ethic."

I became almost a different person after I moved here. Much happier & healthier & more open.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 AM

31 posts, read 63,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I guess the moral of the story is, people should love the city theyr'e in, no matter where it is, LA, Detroit or Leclaire, Iowa, and not try to compare it to New York or Paris or Hong Kong or any other city, all that does is raise insecurity and cement the old saying "the grass is greener on the other side", but is it really?
Oh, no no, no no, no no, I will never love Detroit. Grew up there, couldn't get out fast enough! The grass is greener, anywhere but there!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:12 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,467,109 times
Be that as it may, I think it all depends on your point of view. Most of the country views southern california as whiny and soft, and southern california views the rest of the country as rude, but that's mainly generalizations. Who knows if LA really is soft, or if the rest of the US really is rude

Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 PM

303 posts, read 750,237 times
I have to say if you are from around here (NJ area), having you talk about California i would say i am impressed really. Never though a Jerz girl would like California. I've thought about living in California but always had assumptions about it. Being from JC i DON'T HAVE to drive everywhere, even in the burbs driving isn't as necessary. The one thing that would kill me is the driving, i HATE driving and always thought California doesn't have a good PT system (exception SF).

Hearing from you though it sounds though it may not be as terrible as i though. I have had my eyes focused on San Diego and los angeles since, IMO, they are the most develop outside SF. Plus being JC would make me feel cool because if anyone wants to talk smack about NJ i could just say "If it wasn't for us, California wouldn't even be cool" , but that is another topic lol. Nice read though.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 PM

303 posts, read 750,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I suddenly wanted sushi, Indian and Middle Eastern food all at once. I missed hearing someone speak a language I did not understand. I wanted to be in a park watching someone doing taichi, while another kicked a soccer ball. . .and on, and on.

You also just described JC,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles