Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,588 times

Advertisements

We are moving back to California after 6 years in Chicago. We previously lived in Studio City, but we had no kids then. We now have a 6 year old and a 3 year old. We want to get closer to the Ocean than we were previously, and we want good schools and friendly neighborhoods with lots of families. We have narrowed our search to Calabasas, Palos Verdes or Manhattan Beach. We like all of them for different reasons and are having a very hard time deciding. Any input is appreciated. We would be renting initially ($6000 max) but plan on buying in a few years. My husband travels a lot for work, and isn't too worried about commutes to airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:09 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,130,409 times
win-win-win situation, just find the location you like best.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:22 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Calabasas is beautiful, leafy but hot in the summer compared to Manhattan Beach. Excellent schools. Suburban culture with a western/equestrian heritage.
MB is dense and seems a little more DINK than Calabasas. Beach culture. Excellent schools. Probably a lot more $/sqft than Calabasas. There are some rougher neighborhoods a few miles east of MB.
I don't know anything about PV except my boss lives there and he has kids.

Personally, if I had no kids I'd consider MB (especially since I would be able to walk to work in El Segundo) but with two or more kids it would probably be pretty expensive for a four bedroom home there; a person could get more of a family sized house in Calabasas I would think.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM

4,537 posts, read 10,596,187 times
Drove through Palos Verdes a week ago....crazy gorgeous, old housing stock but all really nice sort of post modern design to a lot of it.

Like others said, just a matter of personal taste. All safe, all have great schools, all are very safe, upscale neighborhoods.

Negatives to PV and Calabasas are the drive to anywhere. I think from most of PV it takes at least 15-20 minutes to get to a freeway.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:26 PM

10 posts, read 24,954 times
I love PV too, but it does seem, to me at least, more removed from "LA" than Calabasas. I you have to drive in anywhere to the west side or downtown regularly, I think PV would be tough--so many surface streets before you reach the highway.

MB is too dense for my liking, plus I was spoiled with my college years and post- living inn Laguna Beach. MB pales in comparison IMO.

We are in something of a similar situation and are looking closely at Woodland Hills. It seems a little more eclectic than Calabasas, is a tad closer to LA, and I adore the sprawling lots and ranch style homes found in many places N of the 101. I just timed a drive to the ocean via Topanga and it ran about 20 minutes. And although people speak of the heat, I just freeze near the coast and the gloom and dampness of Venice, MB, etc. would do me in.

Finally, I guess El Camino high school is a many times US Academic Decatholon winner, for what that's worth! Good luck!

Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,588 times
Thanks so much everyone! That was very helpful. I think maybe I'm leaning towards Calabasas. I think I will check out Woodland Hills too.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalProperties4U View Post
If you would like me to send you properties that we have available as of today, I can do that. I'm a realtor at Coldwell Banker-Sherman Oaks/Encino.
The best real estate tool is Search Homes for Sale & Find Real Estate Agents Who Put You First | Redfin. Tons of comps, maps, and analyzable data, data data.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,791,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Drove through Palos Verdes a week ago....crazy gorgeous, old housing stock but all really nice sort of post modern design to a lot of it.

I think from most of PV it takes at least 15-20 minutes to get to a freeway.
That's a good thing - PV folks like being able to escape the grind and live in the idylic conditions overlooking the Pacific. They pay quite a bit for the opportunity to do so. The drive home is rather relaxing (scenic) after a long day at work.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
That's a good thing - PV folks like being able to escape the grind and live in the idylic conditions overlooking the Pacific. They pay quite a bit for the opportunity to do so. The drive home is rather relaxing (scenic) after a long day at work.
Agreed. That drive up Palos Verdes Blvd is so nice. If you can afford it, PV all the way.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdgirl View Post
I love PV too, but it does seem, to me at least, more removed from "LA" than Calabasas. I you have to drive in anywhere to the west side or downtown regularly, I think PV would be tough--so many surface streets before you reach the highway.

MB is too dense for my liking, plus I was spoiled with my college years and post- living inn Laguna Beach. MB pales in comparison IMO.

We are in something of a similar situation and are looking closely at Woodland Hills. It seems a little more eclectic than Calabasas, is a tad closer to LA, and I adore the sprawling lots and ranch style homes found in many places N of the 101. I just timed a drive to the ocean via Topanga and it ran about 20 minutes. And although people speak of the heat, I just freeze near the coast and the gloom and dampness of Venice, MB, etc. would do me in.

Finally, I guess El Camino high school is a many times US Academic Decatholon winner, for what that's worth! Good luck!
What's the best value/affordability
do you think out of these? What about Studio City or Thousand Oaks? I also love Ventura..my shoes once melted into the parking lot of a Ralph's in Calabasas during the summer - I agree with you on the damp coast - I bought a house in Venice and my towels never dried and I never got out of a sweater..almost every day at around 12 noon a breeze would blow my front open if I didn't lock it! I am looking for an affordable (Under 500k 2000 sq ft house with a private yard) in a very civilized neighborhood - I must avoid my experience in Venice where the neighborhood was "transitioning" arghhhhhh....I am still recovering from that unfortunate experience...

Last edited by 12buttons; 03-22-2011 at 04:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles