Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Picture of your future city

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...1bc973a62382a1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,660 times
lol it's funny how sensitive people are to shortening California (which is relatively long) to Cali. Pretty normal to see like NY instead of New York but CA doesn't have the same instant association...

Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
I, for one wouldn't bother befriending someone who calls California, Cali. Shallow I am, I guess.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforum View Post
lol it's funny how sensitive people are to shortening California (which is relatively long) to Cali. Pretty normal to see like NY instead of New York but CA doesn't have the same instant association...
Do you call Washington State Wash? Do you call Colorado Col or maybe Rado? Do you call Conneticut Con? Is it Ill in Illinois? or Tuck in Kentucky? Would you shorten Louisiana to Lou or pretent that Minnesota is just Mini? Are the Carolinas Nolina and Solina? And is it OK to call Oklahoma Oki? Would Wis be preferable to Wisconsin? Maybe in Nevada they would prefer to be called Nev or Vada. I know that some call Arizona Zona and others shorten Pensylvania to plain old Pen, but here in California calling out Cali in a Sin.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:03 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Quote:
CA doesn't have the same instant association? Hhmm thats interesting is that a younger generation thing? The address shown on almost all the bills I receive uses "CA".

Old 03-26-2011, 12:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
there is a huge differnce between what you are saying and what others are saying...We are not talking a city: Many people call Los Angeles LA as well, but we don't call Arkansas, ARC or Oregan, ORE. it is not pretty normal, maybe in your group, but to many of us, knowing there is a Cali and knowing the state is California makes a big difference. Maybe what you are saying shows us how we have become way to casual in the past 10 years or so.

Nita

Old 03-26-2011, 12:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I'm planning on moving to cali by the end of the summer, but the problem is I don't know anyone out there?
so you are planning on moving to a state that you think should be called Cali instead of California, you have no friends, you don't know anyone there and I assume you don't have a job. I hope I am wrong about that. Before you move anywhere make sure you do have a job and a decent savings. If you have all this you will meet friends. That should be the least of your problems. Through school or work people usually make friends. Also though volunteer work, church, your political party,etc. It shoud not be hard.

Nita

Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
People would have made the connection much easier if OP used "Cantaffordia" instead of "Cali".

Old 03-26-2011, 04:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
That is a problem. But fortunately the solution is not moving here and I figure that's what will happen anyway?

Old 03-26-2011, 09:31 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Do you call Washington State Wash? Do you call Colorado Col or maybe Rado? Do you call Conneticut Con? Is it Ill in Illinois? or Tuck in Kentucky? Would you shorten Louisiana to Lou or pretent that Minnesota is just Mini? Are the Carolinas Nolina and Solina? And is it OK to call Oklahoma Oki? Would Wis be preferable to Wisconsin? Maybe in Nevada they would prefer to be called Nev or Vada. I know that some call Arizona Zona and others shorten Pensylvania to plain old Pen, but here in California calling out Cali in a Sin.
I think it's Washi, Colo, Conne (pronounced Connie), Illi, Tucky, Louie, Wisky, Neva, Penny.
You got Mini and Oki. I kind of like Nolina and Solina. But never Cali.

OP, are you moving for school? If so, that's the best way to meet people, especially if you will live on campus. But don't say "Cali" to anyone over 22 unless you hear them say it first. I guess you just found that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles