Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,581,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If there was ever a city for which it's downtown didn't serve as it's identity or central point or "face of a place" it's Los Angeles. Ask any person the first vision that comes to mind when they hear or read "Los Angeles" and downtown LA isn't in the top 10. Most cities yes, not LA.

Beaches
Hollywood
Weather
Freeways
Sprawl
Smog
Beverly Hills
Lakers
I suspect this will change in the next few years. Everyone I've had visit me since I moved downtown has been absolutely stunned at the changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I suspect this will change in the next few years. Everyone I've had visit me since I moved downtown has been absolutely stunned at the changes.

Yes, and I will admit that I haven't been to downtown in a long time and from what I've read it has changed for the better quite a bit.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,839,637 times
Quote:
Does anybody actually "want" to go to downtown? Or, do they "have" to go either for work or to see a Kings or Clippers game? Downtown: traffic, parking hassles, panhandlers - anything else?
I think us REAL Los Angelinos (born and raised here) are not as excited about downtown stuff as the transplants and Laker fanatics are. I mean, its cool and all but what recently happend in Japan with their earthquake makes not at all want to be anywhere in a 65 story building. I was on the 38th floor of one of the Century City towers during a 5.5 aftershock from the Northridge earthquake and believe me, it was NOT fun.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,463,920 times
I say building skyscrapers and an underground subway system on top of an active fault line is just tempting fate

Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 AM

362 posts, read 814,723 times
Quote:
I understand there are things to do there but other than a person's job or Staples or one or two other unique venues there, it seems like such a hassle to navigate there. For example, aren't there other "great bars" more conveniently located to you (or just about anyone else)?
I find navigation to downtown much easier (exit freeway, pop in $5 lot) than traversing the gridlock to the westside for instance, and then having to find parking in that overpacked madness...

Plus - there's different vibes in all of the areas with concentrations of bars...

Hollywood: d0uchebag central

Silverlake / Echo Park: skinny jean chinstrokers

Santa Monica: {cues Marilyn Manson music}, the beautiful people, the beautiful people

Downtown nabs a pretty reasonable cross-section of the above.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM

987 posts, read 1,737,135 times
Quote:
I understand there are things to do there but other than a person's job or Staples or one or two other unique venues there, it seems like such a hassle to navigate there. For example, aren't there other "great bars" more conveniently located to you (or just about anyone else)?
I feel you on your points and I use to feel strong about it awhile back. My tie is my job in DT and having worked here for a long time, it grew on me - believe me, I hear lots of people complain about their jobs, and having to work DT even more so, but after awhile I guess I stopped focusing on the traffic as much (well everyone has their shortcuts & you tend to get better or lucky at it). I suppose goes the same for the people that go to Staples & LA Conv ctr Sports/Events frequently too.

Which brings me to why else would I come out here, if I'm not having to work here, Downtown has changed alot in the recent years, for me its also the shopping (which is a drag), but theres alot of choices out here, like someone else mentioned above & I'm not bothered or scared to come out anymore because it has improved, parking & all.........As far as the bars, restaurants, etc that draw people out of their areas to DT, an opinion from a co-worker is that its just somewhere further out to escape to, away from the monotony of the local areas

As far as the panhandling goes, it's not as bad as it was - oh say 8+ years ago where at one time you did fear your life walking through here. Besides panhandling seems to have gone everywhere else (in certain areas) where it never use to be an issue.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM

987 posts, read 1,737,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
The Wilshire Grand project was formally approved by the City Council today for downtown L.A. The project will replace the Wilshire Grand Hotel with two towers -- one a 65 story hotel/condo tower, and the other a 45 story office tower, at the corner of 7th and Figueroa. Project site here:
Wilshire Grand Redevelopment

Construction begins later this year, and demolition of the current property will take approximately a year. Korean Airlines owns and is driving this project.

Good news for those that like to see the skyline go up up up!
It will be interesting to see, I like the Wilshire Grand, had a Retirement Luncheon there recently, always thought it was nice, but curious to see how the two towers will look......

Old 03-30-2011, 04:24 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,181,430 times
Go to the 'Los Angeles Downtown NEWS' to get all the dt info. Los Angeles Downtown News and Information - LA Downtown News Online > Front.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,369,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
It will be interesting to see, I like the Wilshire Grand, had a Retirement Luncheon there recently, always thought it was nice, but curious to see how the two towers will look......
The development web site has videos, including one that shows how the controversial "light show" on the towers will work. Look under "gallery" for video link. It's pretty cool.

http://wilshiregrandredevelopment.com/

Last edited by Gurbie; 03-30-2011 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 PM

573 posts, read 1,353,410 times
i love this project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles