Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

A few friends and I are planning to move out to LA near the end of the summer to start pursuing our careers. We have been in touch with alumni from our school who are out in LA working in the fields we're interested in, so we feel semi-confident about plans for finding work when we get there, and we're all realistic about how bad the prospects currently are. Unfortunately, the specific types of jobs we're looking for in tv/film don't exist in many other cities or in the same magnitude as LA, so we've made up our mind that we'll at least have to try LA out so we can know we tried to pursue our dreams.

Although we've been to LA before we're not too familiar with the various neighborhoods. We're planning on living together to make our rent costs as low as possible. What I'm looking for is advice on neighborhoods that would be affordable for a group of cost-conscious recent grads, but also won't put us in the middle of gangland. The first place where cheap and safe overlap is good for us. And no worries, we aren't expecting anything ritzy, we're being realistic about what we can pay will get us. Also any helpful links to sites that help you find rentals would be great, we've already checked out craigslist, but some more legitimate sites would be a nice companion. Also I already have rent money saved up for the first few months when we may still be job-hunting and not making much profit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS And we know to bring cars, this isn't nyc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 05:18 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,926,281 times
westsiderentals.com is good but you have to pay for it. I'd recommend living close to your work. Since you guys don't have your jobs lined up yet, I'd pick a central neighborhood. Maybe Sherman Oaks or Studio City. A lot of young people there and good access to freeways and the other parts of Los Angeles.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,324,197 times
Studio City or Hollywood are best options.

Maybe West Hollywood or Miracle Mile if you can afford it, also Downtown is a consideration.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:02 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,316,813 times
My daughter and her bf did the same thing and rented in West Hollywood to be centrally located. It worked great when D was working in Hollywood but then they both found jobs in Santa Monica and have to suffer through that commute. A 6 month lease would be my suggestion if you can swing it.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 AM

171 posts, read 531,482 times
I think in order for someone tell you what areas you can live in where cheap and safe overlap they would have to know what the maximum amount is that you can pay for rent. You say you have rent money saved up for the first few months. So, you must know what the maximum is that you can spend on rent per month, at least for now.

There have been some people who have posted here who have gone on and on about what they want in a place to live and then mention, almost casually, that they can't spend more than $1000 a month. Some have even thought they could spend less and find something nice and safe. Even what someone considers safe may not be what another person condiders safe.

I also don't think having only 3 months rent saved up isn't enough. What if no one gets a job in 3 months? And as far as bringing cars I hope you like sitting in a parking lot called a freeway. Oh yeah, and thanks for adding to the air pollution. We do have public transportation that thousands and thousands of people take to work everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candicey View Post
Hello all,

A few friends and I are planning to move out to LA near the end of the summer to start pursuing our careers. We have been in touch with alumni from our school who are out in LA working in the fields we're interested in, so we feel semi-confident about plans for finding work when we get there, and we're all realistic about how bad the prospects currently are. Unfortunately, the specific types of jobs we're looking for in tv/film don't exist in many other cities or in the same magnitude as LA, so we've made up our mind that we'll at least have to try LA out so we can know we tried to pursue our dreams.

Although we've been to LA before we're not too familiar with the various neighborhoods. We're planning on living together to make our rent costs as low as possible. What I'm looking for is advice on neighborhoods that would be affordable for a group of cost-conscious recent grads, but also won't put us in the middle of gangland. The first place where cheap and safe overlap is good for us. And no worries, we aren't expecting anything ritzy, we're being realistic about what we can pay will get us. Also any helpful links to sites that help you find rentals would be great, we've already checked out craigslist, but some more legitimate sites would be a nice companion. Also I already have rent money saved up for the first few months when we may still be job-hunting and not making much profit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS And we know to bring cars, this isn't nyc

Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 AM

32 posts, read 43,354 times
The LA Times has a great site for looking into crime in the area : L.A. Crime Maps - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

I'm planning to move to LA this summer, too, and it looks like Sherman Oaks and that area are pretty safe and not insanely expensive for apartments (According to Craigslist at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles