Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 02:17 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,504 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am currently living in northern OC, my friend just moved here from another state and she has been wanting to get a place more in the LA area. My bf and i are not in love with OC and so we opted to all get a place together. She does marketing/PR work and acting as well. I work nights in Azusa, aside from that I have no real opinion on where we end up so long as it's not in the ghetto. My bf is in retail, down in Orange, so he is looking into transferring to another store (or getting another job altogether). We are currently looking in the burbank, north hollywood, silver lake, los feliz and west hollywood areas. We want a 2 bed, preferably 2 bath but 1 bath is fine. We can spend up to $2000 between the three of us (we'd prefer around $1800 though, 2 grand is stretching it). It also has to accept dogs because we have a small dog (~20 lbs). No one has kids so we don't care about schools.

Now my questions...

Is there any particular area in these neighborhoods to avoid?
Would you recommend West hollywood/los feliz/silver lake over burbank/north hollywood or the other way around?
Are there other areas we should consider?
Does anyone know of specific apartments that are good (or should be avoided?)
And lastly, am I crazy to think I can commute to and from Azusa? I have gone straight to work from the West Hollywood area and had no problem but I am worried about the drive home, to be honest.

Thanks for your help guys, please let me know if you need more info.

ETA: My BF and I share a car but she doesn't drive (yet). In case that changes things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 05:07 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
commute to azusa is going to be horrendous in any of those areas especially weho. not sure how you'd do it but I know people who commute that far and manage so I guess its doable, gas is gonna kill ya

west hollywood may be out of your price range and it's further from azusa... not sure why you want to live there unless you're specifically into the nightlife there

burbank and north hollywood will be affordable. parts of north hollywood are unsafe.

silver lake and los feliz are a lot more exciting than burbank or north hollywood, so if you can find an apartment in your price range there, that's a good fit, plus it's fairly far east so azusa wont be quite as bad.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Which parts of north hollywood are unsafe? We looked at a house at hartsook/lankershim and an apartment at huston/lankershim, which I think is the arts district and it looked like a nice area--granted I haven't been there at night.

We are checking out places in the silver lake area tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback

Old 04-03-2011, 07:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Have you thought about places closer to Azusa? That sounds like a terrible commute. What's the appeal of being so far west? If you did somewhere in the middle, like Eagle Rock or Pasadena, you'd still be in a fun area but would be a LOT closer to work.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post
Which parts of north hollywood are unsafe? We looked at a house at hartsook/lankershim and an apartment at huston/lankershim, which I think is the arts district and it looked like a nice area--granted I haven't been there at night.

We are checking out places in the silver lake area tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback
Lankershim at Hartsook is very safe. That's right in the heart of the Arts district, so you will be very happy there. You're in walking distance to dance studios, theaters, cafes, shops, you name it.

The part of North Hollywood the gives the area a bad name are the areas at Victory Blvd and further North. The rule of thumb is to stay as far south as possible and you'll be quite happy.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 PM

uptown_urbanist, I have considered eagle rock and pasadena. I love Pasadena! We will probably expand to look there too.

And that is good to know LABornandRaised, it felt safe but I am unfamiliar with the area so...I wanted to be sure, haha.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:34 AM

We found a place in Silver Lake that we really like so we will probably go with that.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
^good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles