Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,301 times

Advertisements

what's the cheapest place to live in (rent) in the greater LA area? safety isn't a criterion, i'm from newark NJ so the "hood" means nothing to me, as long as it's not the PJ's. as long as i can get a job, pay the rent, and see some money from my last check still in the bank, i'm good. I'm mainly trying to get away from the winters and be in year-long motorcycle weather. however, it'd be great to be in a place with some culture good for an 18-20 year old, and i'm allergic to places that aren't big cities (or at least metro regions).

if the greater LA area isn't viable, then what is? california preferred. nothing obscenely 'southern' either. the south makes me nauseous.

graci

Last edited by arsvn; 04-04-2011 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
nah should be no problem

Old 04-04-2011, 12:22 PM

171 posts, read 530,604 times
You might like Long Beach. When you compare the rental prices in Long Beach to other parts of Los Angeles County you'll see that Long Beach has some fairly inexpensive places to live. Of course, there are expensive places to live in Long Beach too. That's one of the things I like about living here is the diversity in cultures and income levels.

For two good places to look for apartments go here;

www.ernstandhaas.com
www.pabstkinney.com

Long Beach California Vacation & Travel Center : Hotels, Attractions and Vacation Travel Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsvn View Post
what's the cheapest place to live in (rent) in the greater LA area? safety isn't a criterion, i'm from newark NJ so the "hood" means nothing to me, as long as it's not the PJ's. as long as i can get a job, pay the rent, and see some money from my last check still in the bank, i'm good. I'm mainly trying to get away from the winters and be in year-long motorcycle weather. however, it'd be great to be in a place with some culture good for an 18-20 year old, and i'm allergic to places that aren't big cities (or at least metro regions).

if the greater LA area isn't viable, then what is? california preferred. nothing obscenely 'southern' either. the south makes me nauseous.

graci

Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:

graci
What's wrong with living near Papa Johns pizza?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,301 times
LOL!

& thanks for the responses, i'll check the links out

Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:

graci
As low as $800/mo for a two bedroom along Western and surrounding streets south of the 10 freeway. I highly recommend not living there though. I suspect theres $400/mo places in the skid row area of downtown, but I'm not sure and you've gotta be nuts to want to live there voluntarily, if nothing more than due to the stench.

A studio downtown, if you qualify for the low income program(under $46K per year or something like that), runs $650/mo or so. Clean nice places, excellent location, easy access to very good public transportation.

I'm not sure its still the case, but up until about a month ago, people couldn't even move in(the building is newly renovated) because they did not have enough qualified tennants. I suspect theres an issue with qualifying due to criminal background issues. I also suspect people are upset the building does not provide parking and monthly parking at nearby lots runs $100-150/mo.

Rents really don't drop below a certain point in LA because the section 8 program here is quite expansive. As recently as 15 years ago, there were rents as low as $350/mo for studios in rough, though not warzone, neighborhoods. But thats a thing of the past at this point, and many of those neighborhoods are actually sort of nice nowdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles