Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 PM

141 posts, read 436,040 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm moving to the Hollywood Hills area this summer to start an internship for college. I'm looking for a safe place for a female student to live. I'm not a party girl so I'm looking for a safe, not too rowdy, community that has some personality. I'm looking for a one-bedroom apt or studio. My price cap is $1100. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

What are some good areas for me to look in? Can I really find a nice, safe place for $1100/month. Also, I'm not looking to live in a box (500 sq ft).

This will be my first time living in CA so I'll appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!
CA Here I come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 02:49 AM

153 posts, read 637,472 times
Well you might need to, um, readjust your expectations. The budget is not much. You say it will be your first time living here, but is it your first time being here at all? If so, please bring a parent or trusted family friend out for a short visit to line something up before you just show up. Seriously, I just want to take all you kids who come out here and give you a hug, 'cause you're gonna need it.

That said, no it's not impossible to find something safe. Again, adjust those expectations. A one bedroom? Nope, not gonna happen. A studio? Still really pushing it. Sad, but true. I'd stay out of Hollywood altogether. I'd go with Burbank (quiet, maybe a bit cheaper), West Hollywood (not cheap, but safe and lively). Neither is too far from the Hollywood Hills, with Burbank being closer. The nice parts of the hills are going to be out of your price range and most landlords in general don't like to do ultra short term leases (I'm guessing this is just a summer internship and not longer). Normally, you pay a bit more for a very short term lease because the landlord will have to go through the trouble of cleaning and advertising and re-renting in a very short amount of time. So keep that in mind.

You might want to really consider a roommate. If you really dont' want one and you can up you budget considerably, I'd suggest something like Oakwood, since it's all short term. Your budget is will take some work.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:11 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
Normally, you pay a bit more for a very short term lease because the landlord will have to go through the trouble of cleaning and advertising and re-renting in a very short amount of time. So keep that in mind.
Short-term, summer-only leases are harder to find. It will definitely impact the number of choices you have.

I would definitely consider going with a roommate - there are lots of other students who need roommates in the summer - so it would be easy finding a place! And you could probably live in a much nicer area, which might be more fun!

Oh, and 500 square feet isn't necessarily a box - it can be a nice size studio! You may have to adjust your expectations a little. Or increase your budget?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 PM

274 posts, read 1,218,406 times
I would put an add on craigs list for a place in the house swap area- sometimes people go out of town and their places are empty. I think you could get a great shared place in the hills for that budget.You just have to put some legwork in.
There is also airbnb.com- you could try and negotiate a long term rate- there are some lovely LA rooms on there!Good Luck. You wll have a great summer here.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:23 PM

28 posts, read 61,731 times
I just checked the MLS. If you were staying for one year, there was a rental in the Hollywood Hills for around $975 per month. They were requiring a 12 month lease. That would have fit your budget. Locating a short term rental is somewhat difficult in that area. You can also search through the Penny Saver and Recycler Magazine. Sometimes you can locate advertisements for a room to rent or seeking a roommate. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,973 times
You can also see if someone else needs a room mate, maybe you can rent a room from them for the summer? Or sublet a place if someone is out of town and needs you to take over their lease? I can't see another way to get a place cheaply unfortunately. My one bedroom rents for under $1,000 but it's in northern OC, so that doesn't work for you so much

Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times
UCLA and USC students should be starting to find subletters. Therefore, check craigslist daily. A lot of them will be willing to take a small loss meaning you can negotiate a little.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 AM

396 posts, read 906,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post

That said, no it's not impossible to find something safe. Again, adjust those expectations. A one bedroom? Nope, not gonna happen. A studio? Still really pushing it. Sad, but true. I'd stay out of Hollywood altogether. I'd go with Burbank (quiet, maybe a bit cheaper), West Hollywood (not cheap, but safe and lively).
There are parts of WeHo I consider worse than parts of Hollywood proper. It kind of amuses me how WeHo has a great reputation when parts of it don't match the other parts. Same can be said for Hollywood!

Burbank is Valley and overrated.

You can def do a studio in that price range. I live across the street from the Hills and pay under $1100 for a studio.

You can find month to month if you look hard enough. BUT it's one of those things where you gotta be here, in person, to really find it.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:27 AM

153 posts, read 637,472 times
^^^Yeah, but did you sign a lease for 3 months? This is going to limit her options substantially. I lived in Whitley Heights in a nice studio with parking and paid under what she is hoping to pay, but again, my lease was not for 3 months. I lived off La Cienega and Fountain for under $1100 in a great building and you guessed, my lease was NOT an ultra short term lease. That will cause the rent to go up. Quite a bit.

And of course, every area has good and not so good parts. It's absurd to think otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles