Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 04:46 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,431 times

Advertisements

Okay, so--bracing myself for the collective groans and eyerolls. Ever since I was a kid, like 6 years old, I have wanted to be a writer. I love to write. I mostly do fiction (short stories) but I also do some poetry. I tend to stick to sci fi, horror, and "slice of life" genres.

Now I know how stereotypical this sounds but--now that I'll actually be living in L.A. proper I thought maybe I could try and get something off the ground. I do have a good job (you may remember me asking about commuting to/from Azusa) and I won't put that in jeopardy--that would be dumb. Except I have no idea where to begin!

Does anyone know of writing classes I can take that would help me network into the field? Or a good place to start? This is all new to me, I have only really been nominally published in school publications...no magazines or anything. I doubt I will be the next Stephen King but I would love to make a career of sorts out of something I love.

Once I get an idea of where to begin, there will be no stopping me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:47 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times
I'd look and see if your local community college is offering any creative writing classes. UCLA Extension also offers many writing courses, but they're expensive.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/fos/Writing.aspx

If you're really serious about this, you should also find a critique group within your genres (science fiction, horror, etc.) that will give you valuable feedback.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM

171 posts, read 530,395 times
I'm not a writer myself but these look interesting.

Writing Meetups near Los Angeles, California - Writing Meetups - Los Angeles
Welcome to the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program
Writing Pad ::Writing Pad - Los Angeles writing classes, retreats, events, contests, and free writing prompts

and if you decide you want to work on your poetry:
SoCal Workshops (http://www.poetryflash.org/SoCal_workshops.html - broken link)

Hopefully you'll get some suggestions from people here who may also be working on their writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post
Okay, so--bracing myself for the collective groans and eyerolls. Ever since I was a kid, like 6 years old, I have wanted to be a writer. I love to write. I mostly do fiction (short stories) but I also do some poetry. I tend to stick to sci fi, horror, and "slice of life" genres.

Now I know how stereotypical this sounds but--now that I'll actually be living in L.A. proper I thought maybe I could try and get something off the ground. I do have a good job (you may remember me asking about commuting to/from Azusa) and I won't put that in jeopardy--that would be dumb. Except I have no idea where to begin!

Does anyone know of writing classes I can take that would help me network into the field? Or a good place to start? This is all new to me, I have only really been nominally published in school publications...no magazines or anything. I doubt I will be the next Stephen King but I would love to make a career of sorts out of something I love.

Once I get an idea of where to begin, there will be no stopping me

Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
Not rolling my eyes - I do a lot of writing too. I don't know of any writing groups in your area, but the posters before me put up some links. We have a Writers forum here on C-D that might be helpful - just wanted to alert you to that forum.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,431 times
Thanks, guys! I'll check out those links

Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,229,772 times
Have you seen this? It looks pretty great. (I'm going to it)

http://826laadultwritersapril.eventbrite.com/

From their website:
Join us for 826LA's next Writing Seminar Series for Adults! Throughout April, our panelists will discuss different types of writing, how they got started, what inspires them, the business side of writing, and more. Panelists will also answer your questions and give some well-worn tips and tricks!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 AM

378 posts, read 760,364 times
If you go for it, be sure to stop by and give us an update!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Join a writing group. Take classes in community college. Take creative writing classes but I'd also suggest you take Jounalism classes. It will help you to tighten up your style and write under pressure. Look for writer's workshops.

Write, write, write, write and write.

Then write some more. Keep a journal and make yourself write in it every single day no matter what.

And write what you know. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,681 times
You should check out www.lawritersgroup.com, they have writers groups that meet in different places around LA. It's really a great way to meet other writers, and learn while you write. I used to have more time for writing and my other creative pursuits (i.e. not flying somewhere different every week) and the writers group I attended was very fun and helpful.

Good luck!
-Mike

Last edited by K6UK; 04-14-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,616 times
Default http://www.yourplotthickens.com

Check out Your Plot Thickens Writing Workshops in L.A. [url=http://www.yourplotthickens.com]Los Angeles Fiction and Memoir Writing School, Screenwriting Classes, Creative Writing Workshops, Southern California Seminars[/url]. They have writing classes on Venice Blvd. and also in the South Bay. I heard they're really good at screenwriting. I took a free screenwriting seminar there.

Last edited by captainchaos; 04-25-2011 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: change url
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles