Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM

88 posts, read 201,511 times

Advertisements

Hey there, LA residents. I'm sure all of you already know about AEG's plans to build an NFL stadium right beside the Staples Center. Apparantly, AEG has a pipe dream of fashioning this new stadium the next money maker in its development of LA Live. They actually think that they can bring professional football back to the City of Angels.

Farmers Insurance has already agreed to a naming rights deal for this imaginary stadium.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd51/Jericho-79/FarmersFieldLayout.png (broken link)

As for any possibility of an NFL team relocation- There are currently six franchises in play. These six teams are the Chargers, the Vikings, the Raiders, the Rams, the Jaguars, and the Bills.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd51/Jericho-79/20101024_122828_24-MAP2.gif (broken link)

Do you LA residents think that AEG will eventually be successful in building this Farmers Field? What are the chances of an NFL team uprooting itself and moving to LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM

927 posts, read 2,466,079 times
Yes, AEG is a solid company that is run well. They are very well run and there is a reason they have turned into an entertainment monoply in the past 10 years. The city of LA loves them, as they are single handly (is that a word?) turning downtown LA from slum to a popular place to live.

With the new stadium, real estate is expected to triple in value. In addition, more businesses will be attracted to downtown LA because of more people around the LA Live campus.

Personally, since I'm from Minnesota, I would love to have the Vikings.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
Hey there, LA residents. I'm sure all of you already know about AEG's plans to build an NFL stadium right beside the Staples Center. Apparantly, AEG has a pipe dream of fashioning this new stadium the next money maker in its development of LA Live. They actually think that they can bring professional football back to the City of Angels.

Farmers Insurance has already agreed to a naming rights deal for this imaginary stadium.
I'm not sure why you think this is a "pipe dream". This is one of two stadium deals in the works (the other is Ed Roski's stadium proposal for the City of Industry).

As mentioned above, AEG has been very successful in getting its vision implemented for downtown LA, the City Council seems to be on board with it, in addition to the Unions (after all, construction = more work and more Union jobs). AEG has been very effective at creating coalitions amongst the LA power brokers to get what it wants.

In addition, they don't rely on massive taxpayer handouts to do it, which in my opinion would be a deal breaker (although to be fair the city does things like back the bonds, which you could argue is a form of taxpayer subsidy).

I think the downtown stadium is a great idea, which will further stimulate the downtown area (and L.A. will get a much more modern convention center in the process -- which is where the real $$$$ is for AEG and the city).

As for who will move -- anybody but the Raiders please. Their owner sucks and many of their fans are scary/trashy. Highest probability of a move would be the Chargers, followed by the Jaguars.

I actually hope it is an expansion team, although L.A. has a history of getting teams that have moved from other places (Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, etc.).

Old 04-11-2011, 01:59 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
I think and hope it happens. It will be another positive step in the improvement of dt Los Angeles. I'm actually thinking about buying a condo downtown. For some reason locals think I should look elsewhere. But right now prices are pretty reasonable and I see prices rising considerably in the not too distant future downtown. Just look at all the new restaurants, apts./condos, shopping options and public transportation options that have come or are coming to dt L.A.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I think and hope it happens. It will be another positive step in the improvement of dt Los Angeles. I'm actually thinking about buying a condo downtown. For some reason locals think I should look elsewhere. But right now prices are pretty reasonable and I see prices rising considerably in the not too distant future downtown. Just look at all the new restaurants, apts./condos, shopping options and public transportation options that have come or are coming to dt L.A.
Exactly. A guy I work with downtown has had his condo almost double in value, since he bought it in 2009. If you're looking to buy downtown, now is a great time to do it!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 PM

88 posts, read 201,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Personally, since I'm from Minnesota, I would love to have the Vikings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I'm not sure why you think this is a "pipe dream". This is one of two stadium deals in the works (the other is Ed Roski's stadium proposal for the City of Industry).

I actually hope it is an expansion team, although L.A. has a history of getting teams that have moved from other places (Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, etc.).
I live in New York State. Personally, I'd really like to see a brand-new, world-class stadium in LA. It would probably give Jerry Jones (The Undisputed King of Cowboys Stadium) a run for his money.

But it's all a question of who's going to move to LA.

Officially, there will be NO expansion team, as the NFL is adament about keeping the league set at 32.

Here's what I think:

I don't think LA residents would be too excited if the Chargers were to move back to LA. But there's so much legal wrangling surrounding their new stadium proposal that a move is very likely.

The Vikings could also be the most likely team to move, considering how all the new stadium proposals have been in limbo for a long, long time now.

The Raiders have the option of sharing the new Santa Clara stadium with the 49ers. If they refuse, then it might be back to LA for them.

From what I understand, the Rams have an "out clause" that they could exercise in 2014 if they're still dissatisfied with the Edward Jones Dome.

The Bills could be staying put. I don't think New York State wants to give them up.

The Jags have no reason to move out of Florida.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:34 PM

109 posts, read 204,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Exactly. A guy I work with downtown has had his condo almost double in value, since he bought it in 2009. If you're looking to buy downtown, now is a great time to do it!
Ugh, downtown LA. What a dump. No green space, a concrete runoff river, home to the largest transient population in the states, beggars galore, and the smell of urine everywhere with a dash of trendy 'tude. Sounds like a real treat!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
Ugh, downtown LA. What a dump. No green space, a concrete runoff river, home to the largest transient population in the states, beggars galore, and the smell of urine everywhere with a dash of trendy 'tude. Sounds like a real treat!
Sounds like you haven't been downtown in the past couple of years.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
I live in New York State. Personally, I'd really like to see a brand-new, world-class stadium in LA. It would probably give Jerry Jones (The Undisputed King of Cowboys Stadium) a run for his money.

But it's all a question of who's going to move to LA.

Officially, there will be NO expansion team, as the NFL is adament about keeping the league set at 32.

Here's what I think:

I don't think LA residents would be too excited if the Chargers were to move back to LA. But there's so much legal wrangling surrounding their new stadium proposal that a move is very likely.

The Vikings could also be the most likely team to move, considering how all the new stadium proposals have been in limbo for a long, long time now.

The Raiders have the option of sharing the new Santa Clara stadium with the 49ers. If they refuse, then it might be back to LA for them.

From what I understand, the Rams have an "out clause" that they could exercise in 2014 if they're still dissatisfied with the Edward Jones Dome.

The Bills could be staying put. I don't think New York State wants to give them up.

The Jags have no reason to move out of Florida.
It's probably going to be a "Field of Dreams" scenario -- you build it and they will come.

Any one of a number of current NFL franchises could be lured by a new downtown stadium, with the promise of all that money, all that exposure, the subsequent increase in value of the franchise. Face it, you move Buffalo or Jacksonville or whomever to L.A., and the value of your franchise goes up by at least $100M. OK, that's just a guess, but based on the values of other sports franchises in the big cities, a very likely scenario.

The Jags have "no reason" to move out of Florida? They are actually one of the teams that is doing the worst from an attendance and corporate support perspective, and they have one of the shortest histories of any NFL franchise.

And, just because the NFL "says" they are capped at 32 doesn't make it necessarily so. When the buy-in for a new franchise is $1B or so, the NFL isn't going to say "no" just because 32 is a nice even number.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
You forgot traffic jams no parking however neither of these would probably be a huge problem for Sunday afternoon football as traffic is much lighter and you'd have to pay for parking no matter what stadium you attended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles