Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM

89 posts, read 215,037 times

Advertisements

If I have to go through a major earthquake, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be than L.A. We take building codes seriously here, especially after the Northridge quake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Yeah baby! I'm waiting for beachfront property in the desert! I know it's coming!!! Pool, spa, and mere steps from the beach! Oh yeah, my crib is gonna be the shizzlenit!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
Living in Boston while pregnant in the winter was absolutely terrifying on a daily basis. I ended up barely leaving the house because I was so afraid of slipping on the ice. My husband slipped on the ice 5 times during the winter and fell hard. Never broke anything (unlike MANY other people I know who fell on the ice), but was pretty bruised up.

My point is, I personally found Boston to be a more dangerous place to live. I don't know how broke people live there. In the winter, if you run out of oil or your oil heater breaks, can't afford to fix it, and you're pretty much dead from the cold. Always wondered how many people froze to death there every winter.

Not to mention the slow death of living among miserable people in miserable weather.

My husband really wanted to move back to LA and I was worried about earthquakes. He said something that put it into perspective for me "I'd rather we are happy until we die in an earthquake that may or may not happen than live a long time and be miserable."

Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 AM

378 posts, read 760,951 times
Troll poster is trollling.

But seriously, I'm outta here--not doing giant ants. ever.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
I think experts worry about the sheer scale of the magnitude of devastation and loss of human life in the event of a 9 plus magnitude quake. Since so many people live in CA, there would realistically be hundreds of thousands of casualties, and those are just the people who are documented

Old 04-12-2011, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Disasters can and do happen anywhere in the world. There is no safe place. I don't know why some people focus on California.
I live in KY right now and we have a little bit of everything here. Tornados, floods, ice storms, sweltering summer heat and humidity and yes, even earthquakes thanks to the New Madrid Fault. Every location has bad weather of some sort. We are also a bad place to live if you have allergies. I'm hoping to move to Cali in a few years. Can't wait for the sunshine.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:02 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatManAgain View Post
EXTREME DANGER LA

Not meaning to cause panic, I am only posting this here after reading all the posts of people moving to LA and California. I wondered if you had read all the stuff out there on the internet about the future of that part of the world? Maybe even watched national geographic or any other sci fi channel about the whole scientific opinion of the future of the west cost of USA? I have read a multitude of evidence of some major catastrophe over the west coast of America, it seems to stream in from many different points of view and many diverse belief systems, from Christians to psychics to native Indians and even more diverse. And all the warnings are spread out throughout time, not just in one generation, it seems many many people over more than 500 years have covered, mentioned and warned about some serious crisis that words cannot describe. Have any of you researched online and seen the “new world” maps linked in to earth changes? How the earth is going to change very dramatically? Some of these “future” maps show most of California under water.

Interesting to note is that (according to internet text I have read, which may be completely wrong) the USA had marked 3 major challenges for the early 21st century for America, listed by the FEMA organisation to plan for disaster. The first two, one an attack on NY city by terrorists and secondly a major category hurricane to hit the USA from the carribean, have now occurred but there is a third major threat according to them which is a massive 9. + earthquake in the California area.
My question is, now that you are aware of this, if you weren’t partially aware before, would you still want to move to and live in LA/California?

Don't worry - you're not.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatManAgain View Post
EXTREME DANGER LA
Is this Pastor Lemons from Temecula? If so, you tried this last year.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Is this Pastor Lemons from Temecula? If so, you tried this last year.
Just think if enough people read this, maybe Ca for be as crowded. That is if they read it and believe it.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles