Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,392,367 times

Advertisements

I've never been to LA. "Can't beat the weather" - heard that many times.

I was curious, does it get very humid there? Or is it a dry heat?
Something in-between?

I would take a stab and guess something in between. Because you guys are near the Pacific Ocean. And yet, when people complain about very humid hot weather, I rarely hear LA/Southern California come up as a big humidity state. That's usually reserved for Texas, even where I live (Wisconsin/Minnesota)... places like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,899,017 times
It's dry heat. There is rarely humidity. Even when it's at it's worst, it doesn't come close to the Midwest or South.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 AM

927 posts, read 2,457,528 times
I'm from Minnesota and let me tell you, the humidity there is horrible.

LA has about as much humidity as the Twin Cities would in late September. It warms up during the day, cools at night, and never gets "sticky" hot.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,995,479 times
A few uncomfortably humid days a year. In the summer when the Monsoons go too far west.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:09 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,392,367 times
Thanks guys!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,342,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
I've never been to LA. "Can't beat the weather" - heard that many times.

I was curious, does it get very humid there? Or is it a dry heat?
Something in-between?

I would take a stab and guess something in between. Because you guys are near the Pacific Ocean. And yet, when people complain about very humid hot weather, I rarely hear LA/Southern California come up as a big humidity state. That's usually reserved for Texas, even where I live (Wisconsin/Minnesota)... places like that.
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and if you are on the coast side of the Santa Monica "mountains", there is virtually no humidity because of the ocean. However, if you cross those hills into San Fernando Valley, Burbank, Pasadena, etc. then the humidity level increases. However, I also lived in Saint Paul, MN, for a number of years and yoyoma02 is quite correct, it is not nearly as humid as the Minnesota summers.

The trick to beating humidity is to stay near the coast. Any coast will do. The further you go away from the ocean, the more humid it will become. Lets face reality here, Minnesota and Wisconsin are a LONG way away from any coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles