Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,840 times

Advertisements

I am about to move to WeHo to live with a buddy of mine. I have 30 days to find work before I have to pay rent. I don't have much money as is now because the job market in Orlando is not that great. Not for soeone that doesn't have a car anyway. I have lost 2 jobs due to the lack of a car and I need to live somewhere where I won't be judged that way. Public transportation is better in LA, I think....

So the location I'm going to be in is great, as far as job location, but how easy is it to get a job? I will be looking on CL until the day I leave trying to set up interviews. Is there a better way to seek out jobs? I am a professional that works in viral marketing, SEO SMO, special events, product launches and brand management to give you an idea.

Moving to CA is a life long dream, not necessarily LA, I hope one day to move to San Diego. Until then I would like to know how hard finding work will be? I have lots of friends and blah blah all from NYC there. My family and old timer friends will be left in FL and NY, so this is my one shot to succeed. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
LA is doable without a car particular in Weho, but LA is definitely a car city. It is not like the East Coast cities where public transit is at your doorstep. LA does have a subway, but it is limited and doesn't serve West Hollywood. The bus system is pretty extensive however.

I would suggest once you find work, either buy or lease a car. If your work is near a subway staton, then you can move into an area that has the subway or then you can move near work, or make sure you are on the bus route.

WeHo is walkable for shopping, activities, and nightlife. There are tons of marketing and sales jobs in WeHo, mostly related to the entertainment industry and product marketing.

The employment situation is looking a lot better in L.A. now as opposed to last year and the year before. Everyday there are hundreds of Craigslist postings for marketing and sales.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
what kind of work will you be looking for and if you end up with a late night job will public transportation be a problem? I think you will regret moving when you have only 30 days to find a job and no money. The market in Los Angeles isn't going to be any better than Orlando, both pretty much suck.

Nita

Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
LA is doable without a car particular in Weho, but LA is definitely a car city. It is not like the East Coast cities where public transit is at your doorstep. LA does have a subway, but it is limited and doesn't serve West Hollywood. The bus system is pretty extensive however.

I would suggest once you find work, either buy or lease a car. If your work is near a subway staton, then you can move into an area that has the subway or then you can move near work, or make sure you are on the bus route.

WeHo is walkable for shopping, activities, and nightlife. There are tons of marketing and sales jobs in WeHo, mostly related to the entertainment industry and product marketing.

The employment situation is looking a lot better in L.A. now as opposed to last year and the year before. Everyday there are hundreds of Craigslist postings for marketing and sales.

Good luck!
you do realize most of the Craiglist jobs are bogus or not what they say they are. I think you are painting a rosy picture which does not exist.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:13 PM

362 posts, read 817,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you do realize most of the Craiglist jobs are bogus or not what they say they are. I think you are painting a rosy picture which does not exist.
Agree with this. Craigslist is not as useful a resource as in the past... full of spam n' scam.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
Then I stand corrected. Sorry. Usually if there is a company name associated with the post, just look up the company and if it's legit then send a resume.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:02 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
there are quite a few marketing and advertising firms in LA, so hopefully that will be to your benefit. you will probably need a car though, buses are just too inconsistent if you are traveling more than a few miles. you may consider a motorcycle or scooter if a car is too expensive for you.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:45 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Sorry, job market is still absolutely awful. The only people I know getting decent jobs are ones with connections.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
Agree with this. Craigslist is not as useful a resource as in the past... full of spam n' scam.
and that is too bad, it started out to be a great place to find anything. I don't think I would use it for much except maybe to sell or buy something and even then I would be a little leary.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles