Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
?? I don't understand where you are going with that. Sure places may get more pricy, but thats because the creative era made it desirable by creating all the culture in the first place. And just because a place becomes pricy doesn't make it unaffordable. You just have to live with less living space (share an apartment, buy a small house in a less cool area slightly further out, etc.).

Especially your last point: Are you saying that those new cheaper options are more open to cultural outsiders?? I would disagree with that. You see, those places that have that creative history, but have gotten a little "expensive and yuppy" still are CREATED by that previous generation of the creative types that MOVED there. Which means, that few people have very deep roots, you don't have to live there forever to be considered a native. This is VERY true of California, regardless of what one might say about it.

Conversely, you move to a cheaper southern city, while it may be great, cheap cost of living, friendly people, you will get the "you're not from around here are you?" You are welcomed, but you feel like a perpetual foreign exchange student. Obviously the bigger southern cities are not like as much.

Maybe you see where I'm going with this.

New Orleans would be a greater challenge to fit in for any transplant than in LA. Wherever you have deep roots and traditions, you can feel like a perpetual foreign exchange student. Not so in California.
__-
My point was that there are other places for 'creative types' including the film industry types outside of the LA,SF,NYC .

You don't have to live in California or L.A forever to be considered a native? I don't really get that. I was born in L.A . I haven't heard anyone mention they are a native , but were not born here .

I haven't heard that about New Orleans about people not feeling welcome or fitting in. I don't really view L.A as a really welcoming place anyways. Also it's not a tiny Southern town. The New Orleans metropolitan area is over 1million people. I don't think someone moving from CA would have as much culture shock as if they were moving to some tiny southern town.

So my whole point is that the rise of creative type industries in other cities is one of the reasons young people are moving out of LA and California. Also if someone could get a job in a city like new orleans in the film industry there it seems kind of crazy not to take the opportunity.

Sometimes the big competitive market with very established players isn't the best field to play on.

Especially if you want to build something on your own , like a company or a business.

I think it would be more exciting to be in an area that is smaller but growing quickly, it seems like there is a lot of creativity and enthusiasm right now in areas like New Orleans, Austin and a number of other places.

One could view these cities as having more of a 'startup' environment , while bigger established cities like NYC , and LA are more like the large Fortune 500 companies.

Investing in a startup is risky...but the rewards can be incredible. Fortune 500 cities but their size means that they can't really be too creative. They are more likely to grow very slowly.

L.A, NYC , SF used to be the startups...but they got hot and their stock (real estate,etc) got so expensive that you couldn't buy many shares of their stock.

The early investors profited handsomely because they bought stock (land ,real estate, etc) when it was cheap way before the "PRE IPO" prices ....but it made it hard for the young investors to invest.

I think those that want to move to the "startup cities" are those that want more than a job , they want to be on the ground floor or create something or be a part of a movement that is not available in the more established "Fortune 500" cities.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,603,055 times
I agree, most of my friends who graduated from top schools in TX never left the state and are making big money in creative and lucrative fields in Houston and Austin. One friend works for the Facebook office in Austin, another has her own leather importing and jewelry fashion company, ones is in management consulting, another in finance and the last in the music business. They didn't have to go to LA, San Francisco, or NYC. I was the only fool who took an offer to move to LA while many co-workers declined, lol. I love it here but I feel like I took a modest step down even though I'm making more money.

New Orleans is an electrifying city too. I think it is a big musical and artist hub.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:15 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,252,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
3,500,000+ people have left California in the past 20 years, and this state faces a devastating shortage of children and future taxpayers according to Joel Kotkin, who's written extensively about this in the WSJ and Orange Country Register.

That certainly includes blacks, who've been leaving for cities such as Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville, Oklahoma City (some of their suburbs have unemployment rates below 4%) and any major city in Texas that you can think of.

Our gasoline and real estate prices are two items which have negatively impacted the middle class (or what's left of it in this state, which is why all of the cities listed above as well as Phoenix, Tucson, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque and many others have experienced surging birthrates as opposed to California and the greater LA area.
Here are a few stats from California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

CA.....USA
____ ____
2.1% 1.7% Population, percent change, April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012
6.7% 6.5% Persons under 5 years, percent, 2011
24.6% 23.7% Persons under 18 years, percent, 2011

Seems CA is right in line with the rest of the country, demographics-wise

Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,891,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Here are a few stats from California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

CA.....USA
____ ____
2.1% 1.7% Population, percent change, April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012
6.7% 6.5% Persons under 5 years, percent, 2011
24.6% 23.7% Persons under 18 years, percent, 2011

Seems CA is right in line with the rest of the country, demographics-wise
thank you for actually posting some real numbers. ppl in this thread have gone on for quite a while without any hard data backing up their claims of a massive out-migration

Old 04-14-2013, 06:02 PM

164 posts, read 345,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The exodus from Southern California is also largely another white flight, except instead of fleeing urban centers, people are fleeing SoCal for white-majority locations.
This is untrue from where I can see. Blacks are leaving in droves and have been for some time. Trust me, the data backs it up. The census showed a dramatic decrease in the Black population of L.A. We are leaving for places like Atlanta GA, Houston TX, and Charlotte NC. There is only a few black neighborhoods left here such as Leimert Park, Baldwin Hills, and Ladera Heights. and a few little spots here and there.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,027,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The exodus from Southern California is also largely another white flight, except instead of fleeing urban centers, people are fleeing SoCal for white-majority locations.
Then why does it seem like whites are nearly 50% of the city's population, according to the late census figures? The numbers have increased over 100,000 since the 2000s.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 PM

810 posts, read 1,337,072 times
Probably because of the ethnic whites, even Persians, or Indians (from India) count as white.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Then why does it seem like whites are nearly 50% of the city's population, according to the late census figures? The numbers have increased over 100,000 since the 2000s.
Some areas have indeed gotten whiter, like Venice, downtown, and the "hipster belt" in certain central and northeastern neighborhoods. OTOH, the Valley's gotten much, much less whiter.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,539,626 times
As the Manhttan Institute has reported, LA County and Orange County have almost 7,000 residents per square mile (6,999.3 to be exact), which is much higher than either NYC or Chicago.

Our unemployment rate is much higher than most other states, which certainly drives people out of state, not to mention the 'slow-growth' and/or 'no-growth' and environmental-driven restrictions, which has not only demolished our manufacturing base, but sent our real estate prices skyrocketing to heights unaffordable by your average middle-class residents.

Toss in a non-stop string of regulations and tax increases, boondoggles such as Governor Brown's not-so high speed and 100% unnecessary train from LA to SF at the behest of his union minions, and it's no wonder that people are leaving, and young families who realize that there are many better choices in which to move and start & raise a family.

Those trains will be unaffordable and/or unable to service the debt incurred to build them, and will never be considered as a viable and profitable alternative to a 40-45 minute flight from LA to the Bay Area.

Our horrible schools, which have NO chance of returning to their best-in-the-nation levels of the 60s and 70s, are yet another reason to head east, not to mention our dismal housing market, and civil-service pensions, which will eventually bankrupt the city and the state.

You can find some of the details at http://www.kidsdata.org/childpop/

Last edited by Marv101; 04-14-2013 at 08:44 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,043,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
As the Manhttan Institute has reported, LA County and Orange County have almost 7,000 residents per square mile (6,999.3 to be exact), which is much higher than either NYC or Chicago.

Our unemployment rate is much higher than most other states, which certainly drives people out of state, not to mention the 'slow-growth' and/or 'no-growth' and environmental-driven restrictions, which has not only demolished our manufacturing base, but sent our real estate prices skyrocketing to heights unaffordable by your average middle-class residents.

Toss in a non-stop string of regulations and tax increases, boondoggles such as Governor Brown's not-so high speed and 100% unnecessary train from LA to SF at the behest of his union minions, and it's no wonder that people are leaving, and young families who realize that there are many better choices in which to move and start & raise a family.

Those trains will be unaffordable and/or unable to service the debt incurred to build them, and will never be considered as a viable and profitable alternative to a 40-45 minute flight from LA to the Bay Area.

Our horrible schools, which have NO chance of returning to their best-in-the-nation levels of the 60s and 70s, are yet another reason to head east, not to mention our dismal housing market, and civil-service pensions, which will eventually bankrupt the city and the state.

You can find some of the details at Child Population

All in the Family / Archie Bunker's Place Opening Credits - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles