Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Yeah but that's a lot of the problem in L.A ....Not enough people care. I have tried to work with the city ,etc and brought out problems to their attention but they are as apathetic as most of the citizens. Believe me i'm not just saying things only on this forum as you are assuming.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:29 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah but that's a lot of the problem in L.A ....Not enough people care. I have tried to work with the city ,etc and brought out problems to their attention but they are as apathetic as most of the citizens. Believe me i'm not just saying things only on this forum as you are assuming.
You're right, but you constantly boost other cities on here in almost every thread. That's not the answer. Of course smaller cities on the other side of the country are going to be cheaper. Go live there if they interest you that much.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 PM

84 posts, read 216,042 times
It is? I still see many young people around here, still same as before, nothing change.
I am in Los Angeles county, to be exact near Pomona area. And I have no friends. Just family there, no relatives.
I grown up in Los Angeles, now I am 30. And be honest, I love to move to a different city and start my life new there, since the neighborhood where I live right now in Pomona is not very good. Any other county or city would be like heaven for me, lol.

But.. I am still hesitated, not like I have any friends to miss. But I miss the community, the school, the stores, the street, the air, lol. Alot of things that I don't want to give up.
Many people dislike Los Angeles, but if that is where they grown up, I believe they will miss it.
I remember once I travel up North to San Francisco, and when we drive back on the freeway and I can see Los Angeles city head, I was soooooo HAPPY!!! It just feel so Home!

Anyone here actually from LA and left, and regret or miss it, and want to go back?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
People go back and forth on Los Angeles because magic can happen one day, unexpected things that just blow your mind, amazing opportunities may open up and exciting things happen........and then there are others times when it just gets straight maddening and you think you're one step closer to being on the streets or there just might be an out of this world douche that just gets off on being a prick that gets under your skin or there might a place that seems too uninviting no matter how social you appear.

I've been through it and it happens in all major cities but LA can be a roller coaster. It's a city that dangles a gold nugget in your face, you feel so close to catching that one big break that can change your life forever but you keep missing it or it's snatched up from under you.

You can lay back and relax away from the stress of working in LA and then can also deal with just too many personalities clashing at once.

The only other city I can see this type of up and down grind happen is in NYC.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No, but my point is that cost is not the ONLY factor. Also having a higher quality of living such as less traffic, less crime, less corruption in local government, less people being catered to on welfare, etc,etc

I think i'd trade humidity for all of those

More expensive does not always mean better...
Thing is, is that Texas cities have really just as much crime, but because living in really nice areas is much more affordable, people are able to afford keeping an arms distance from it.

Traffic in Texas cities are only marginally better BECAUSE they have grown so fast because of economy, etc.

As far as local corruption in local government, its there too. Crony capitalism in oil? Enron? Small east Texas towns that were "sundown" towns as recently as 20-something years ago.

I really don't know much about welfare, but its also a lot more complicated issue, with much more ability to put spin on than traffic and crime.

And this is coming from someone who believe it or not, actually likes Texas (although obviously not nearly as much as California). If a lot more of the land was public, that would actually make a major difference, and would make me more strongly consider it. I shouldn't have to own my own land to wander and explore the countryside on the weekends, which is what I love doing. I've only been in LA for over a year, and already know the backroads of the Santa Monica Mountains like the back of my hand.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:47 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Quote:
As far as local corruption in local government, its there too. Crony capitalism in oil? Enron? Small east Texas towns that were "sundown" towns as recently as 20-something years ago.
Texas has pretty low corruption because the laws already benefit the major businesses. One doesn't need to skirt environmental laws, disobey employee rights or provide generous kickbacks to politicians for nice deals. Since helping kick start a business here in LA I can see how a lot of businesses, especially larger ones can get mired in corruption because of all the red tape.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
Yes, there are lots of people coming in. The problem is you are replacing those families with wealthy foreigners who aren't really contributing to the economy in terms of job creation (they bring money from elsewhere),
Here's just what California needs. More job creation and growth. The nation's most populated state with the #1 economy (9th in the world) would then become even more crammed and bursting at the seams with millions more people (and their cars) to fit into soaring coastal real estate markets, placing an increasingly astounding burden on an already overburdened water supply and power grid.

Good idea.

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell." - Edward Abbey

Old 04-17-2013, 12:28 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I don't think creating jobs in a city with 10% plus unemployment is a bad idea

Maybe get some people off unemployment and welfare ?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
BarcelonaFan is correct--southern Europe excluding Germany is in much worse shape than Germany and the Scandinavian countries, although they certainly have issues of their own to deal with.

Democrats in Sacramento have chased hundreds of thousands of folks out of the state over the past 20-25+ years, which is why cities such as Atlanta, Charlotte, Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix and most of the major cities in Texas have gained lots of new residents, and especially those first five cities.

LA, SD & San Jose rank 2nd, 8th and 10th in population; San Jose passed San Francisco almost a decade ago.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:13 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Tex?Il?:
"Thing is, is that Texas cities have really just as much crime, but because living in really nice areas is much more affordable, people are able to afford keeping an arms distance from it."

Dallas and Houston have more crime than L.A. or any CA cities except Oakland. Houston has always been a high crime city. If people were moving to get away from crime than nobody from CA would move to those cities. (Austin, however, is one of the safest cities in the US, and El Paso and to a lesser extent San Antonio are also safe cities.)

I don't think crime or its lack is why people move to Texas. It's the cost of living, and, right now, the employment situation.

Marv101:
"Democrats in Sacramento have chased hundreds of thousands of folks out of the state over the past 20-25+ years, which is why cities such as Atlanta, Charlotte, Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix and most of the major cities in Texas have gained lots of new residents, and especially those first five cities".

Charlotte and particularly Columbus see very, very few transplants from California moving there. The midwest is the only part of the US that still sends more people to California than recieves California transplants.

Funny that Marv didn't mention the Pacific Northwest which is a destination for far, far more Californians than all the cities he mentioned except for the Texas cities and Phoenix. Politically inconvenient?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles