Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 AM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Tex?Il?:
"Thing is, is that Texas cities have really just as much crime, but because living in really nice areas is much more affordable, people are able to afford keeping an arms distance from it."

Dallas and Houston have more crime than L.A. or any CA cities except Oakland. Houston has always been a high crime city. If people were moving to get away from crime than nobody from CA would move to those cities. (Austin, however, is one of the safest cities in the US, and El Paso and to a lesser extent San Antonio are also safe cities.)

I don't think crime or its lack is why people move to Texas. It's the cost of living, and, right now, the employment situation.

Marv101:
"Democrats in Sacramento have chased hundreds of thousands of folks out of the state over the past 20-25+ years, which is why cities such as Atlanta, Charlotte, Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix and most of the major cities in Texas have gained lots of new residents, and especially those first five cities".

Charlotte and particularly Columbus see very, very few transplants from California moving there. The midwest is the only part of the US that still sends more people to California than recieves California transplants.

Funny that Marv didn't mention the Pacific Northwest which is a destination for far, far more Californians than all the cities he mentioned except for the Texas cities and Phoenix. Politically inconvenient?
Facts? We don't need no stickin' facts!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I don't think creating jobs in a city with 10% plus unemployment is a bad idea

Maybe get some people off unemployment and welfare ?
I have a better idea. How about 10% of the people leave the state altogether? While we're at it how about 30% leave?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Well if they are here might as well have them productive right? ...but I don't disagree with 30% leaving...I just wonder what that would do to the economy since it's already screwed up.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well if they are here might as well have them productive right? ...but I don't disagree with 30% leaving...I just wonder what that would do to the economy since it's already screwed up.
9th largest, most productive economy in the world. How "screwed up" is that? Compared to where screwed up? It's screwed up for the 10% out of work. Gangbusters for the rest of the country and world.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
9th largest, most productive economy in the world. How "screwed up" is that? Compared to where screwed up? It's screwed up for the 10% out of work. Gangbusters for the rest of the country and world.
Naysayers gonna naysay. Simple as that.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Perhaps I should of said the economy of the city finances...if our economy is so great why are there so many potholes ...why does it take so long for the city to do anything...why does the city say they don't have money ...what does it help saying we are the 9th largest economy if The People don't benefit ??

Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I should of said the economy of the city finances...if our economy is so great why are there so many potholes ...why does it take so long for the city to do anything...why does the city say they don't have money ...what does it help saying we are the 9th largest economy if The People don't benefit ??
The economy - and your perfectly valid questions about why there are potholes and delays and cities say they are broke - are irrespective of each other.

The point of saying we are the 9th largest world economy isn't that it helps anything to say so - it is simply the truth.

Saying that the people don't benefit is just plain silly.

Think on these things. Maybe it will come to you.

Also note, the more complex something is, with more moving parts, the less efficient it runs. California is huge, hugely populated, extremely diverse in business and resources. Extremely complex. Yet many people holler for it to become more so. And then complain that it has problems. Go figure.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:31 PM

How do the people benefit..if the city is poorly run and the schools are poorly ranked,etc?

Also you mentioned that you think 30% of people should leave ...don't you think that would lower CA's "9th largest world economy" ranking?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:33 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
I think some of us forget to remember that this is the LOS ANGELES forum.

This is not the Sweden forum, the Scandinavia forum, the Europe forum, the Texas forum, or the economic theory and/or political theory forum.

In the future, please do not post in threads in this forum without it being ON TOPIC. Some of us like to go off on gigantic TANGENTS that stray so far from the original topic that it feels like the forum just sailed across the Atlantic (where this forum does not have a port).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles