Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,535,686 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm trying to decide where to go for my Masters in Accounting & would appreciate any comments about these schools (I've been accepted).

I'm in San Jose right now & think their program looks pretty good. It's geared towards non-accounting majors (like me) & lasts just a year. CSU Fullerton also seems to have good accounting & business programs, but I would have to take a bunch of prerequisites and it would be two years.

CSU LA...ehh...I've heard nothing about it. Like, literally nothing. Their website is pretty sparse & doesn't have email addresses for the dept. I haven't even been able to find anyone who went there to see their impressions.

I want to end up in LA (although, staying in the Bay Area wouldn't be bad.). Everyone says that you should go to school where you want to live & work, since that's where most of the connections & alumni will be. So I'm sure Fullerton would be a good choice. But what about San Jose state? It isn't really that far away...but will a degree from there put me at a disadvantage in the LA market?

Also, does anyone know what the placement is like for Fullerton accounting grads? SJSU is consistently in the 90-100 range, but it's mostly up in the Bay Area. Even though I think I prefer LA, I'd still rather have a good chance at getting a job in the Bay Area than a lesser chance in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 04:37 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,898,714 times
My school of thought is if you are at the top of your class, you will probably get placed wherever you want in the region (including Socal if you choose to attend a Norcal school).

If you are regular and a normal person, jobs come by networking. My suggestion is go to an LA school though because of the networking factor, especially considering the importance of making connections in LA.

I don't know much about the accounting programs, but if you are a younger professional (like 25-35) I would go to CSU LA rather than Fullerton just based on the location alone. If you go to CSU LA, you can live in downtown LA or Pasadena and make friends and connections there. Fullerton is fun but a major college sports frat type environment. I can't speak to SJSU though.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:54 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,113,570 times
fullerton has the nicest campus in the safest neighborhood. i'm a csuf grad (ba only) and i'm doing fine up in LA since graduation. fullerton is a nice city as well and has enough going on to keep a student busy outside of the classroom. csuf also has a lot of connections with OC businesses, certainly moreso than LA. if you want to end up in LA, you should be fine, they have a larger big 4 presence anyways simply because of population. however, if you are also interested in OC, fullerton would be a great option. both are nice places to live, even though i prefer the big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles