Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 AM

319 posts, read 493,650 times

Advertisements

Whats the income needed to live comfortably in a working-class type of neighborhood in LA? (Nowhere trendy/hip)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 08:24 AM

43 posts, read 218,316 times
aren't we all working class ..where about are you going to be working and do you need to be close to home? Alot of people live in the Inland Empire but it is getting expensive out there too.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 44,065 times
Can anyone ask this question with less irony please? that would help me also to me
I'll appreciate it

Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
This is actually so relative a question that it's going to be difficult for anyone to answer to your complete satisfaction. Do you require any entertainment, for instance? Public transportation (hah! in L.A., it's for limited hours.) Amenities for kids? Signage in English?

So my subjective answer would be: I do miserably here on under 40K a year. This puts me in a vestigial "working class" neighborhood, with graffiti and violent gangs galore. In Los Angeles, the non-upscale areas are more likely populated by extended families of immigrants, both legal and illegal, than traditional blue collar, salt of the earth types of all possible persuasions.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:46 PM

58 posts, read 194,882 times
I think a little more info is needed to answer your question intelligently.
1. Is this for a family or single person?
2. If a family number and age of kids/adults - public vs. private schools etc. etc.
3. Will you be buying or renting? Apartment/Condo-Townhouse or single family dwelling?
4. General area of LA you are interested in? LA covers a large geographic area with an extremely diverse cost of living range.

Anyone could all give you basic answers but it really depends on answers to these questions. AND these are just a few I could think of while reading your post.

Depending on the answers could be anywhere from 60K up for a family of 4 and I think that is conservative.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
It really depends on how much space you need and how many other people you're willing to share it with.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:27 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,085,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Whats the income needed to live comfortably in a working-class type of neighborhood in LA? (Nowhere trendy/hip)
I think you need to be more specific. Living comfortably is subjective. Do you want to live in a house or an apartment? Rentals and home prices vary in each city. How much free cash do you want per month after living expenses?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:25 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Could you really make it on 60K a year? I wonder as I have looked at moving back.

We are a family of 5 and we would make (if both of us worked full time in our profession) $180K. I am even worried about housing with that! We would buy though.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor912 View Post
I think a little more info is needed to answer your question intelligently.
1. Is this for a family or single person?
2. If a family number and age of kids/adults - public vs. private schools etc. etc.
3. Will you be buying or renting? Apartment/Condo-Townhouse or single family dwelling?
4. General area of LA you are interested in? LA covers a large geographic area with an extremely diverse cost of living range.

Anyone could all give you basic answers but it really depends on answers to these questions. AND these are just a few I could think of while reading your post.

Depending on the answers could be anywhere from 60K up for a family of 4 and I think that is conservative.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:40 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Could you really make it on 60K a year? I wonder as I have looked at moving back.

We are a family of 5 and we would make (if both of us worked full time in our profession) $180K. I am even worried about housing with that! We would buy though.

Dawn
That's probably okay for a family of 5, but do you and your wife really want to live dependant on both of you being employed full-time?

I wouldn't try to raise a family in LA on any salary.

If you do decide to come out, I'd rent for the next 3 years until the housing market stabilizes. You'll probably save yourself a bundle instead of losing 50-150K+ on a house if you bought now or during the next year or so.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:53 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
We aren't leaving here for at least 2-3 more years anyway. We will see where we are at that point.

We moved out of LA 2 years ago and I am having a hard time with the thought of making HALF my salary here. The COL is NOT half, it is more like 33% less here than LA, so it makes it hard.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
That's probably okay for a family of 5, but do you and your wife really want to live dependant on both of you being employed full-time?

I wouldn't try to raise a family in LA on any salary.

If you do decide to come out, I'd rent for the next 3 years until the housing market stabilizes. You'll probably save yourself a bundle instead of losing 50-150K+ on a house if you bought now or during the next year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: