Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:46 PM

65 posts, read 157,156 times

Advertisements

One thing to note is that the grime that collects in places with warm climates as opposed to the soggy and winter beaten places is very different. The salt and dirty slush penetrates the stone brick and concrete. It takes a while for a northerner to notice the grimy aspects of Socal. One thing I did notice fast was a dirty widshield from the smog after a while driving into L.A. on my only trip there in january 1990. And the burnt orange halo at sunset around the lifegiving orb... Other than that, it all looked hunky dory to a guy coming out of siberian weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM

68 posts, read 117,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post
One thing to note is that the grime that collects in places with warm climates as opposed to the soggy and winter beaten places is very different. The salt and dirty slush penetrates the stone brick and concrete. It takes a while for a northerner to notice the grimy aspects of Socal. One thing I did notice fast was a dirty widshield from the smog after a while driving into L.A. on my only trip there in january 1990. And the burnt orange halo at sunset around the lifegiving orb... Other than that, it all looked hunky dory to a guy coming out of siberian weather.
Uh...No offense...But I wasn't talking about weather.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilove View Post
Uh...No offense...But I wasn't talking about weather.
From the name of the thread it could've been about where to find the style of British hip hop called "grime" in Los Angeles.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:06 AM

68 posts, read 117,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
From the name of the thread it could've been about where to find the style of British hip hop called "grime" in Los Angeles.
Sorry I wasn't more specific.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilove View Post
Sorry I wasn't more specific.
Yes I think grime has taken on a new meaning. That, or maybe it is a portmanteau term I didnt know about; grime = g+crime = ghettocrime?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM

9 posts, read 15,113 times
Quote:
Because C-D is filled with a bunch of right wing home owners who think all apartments are ghetto.
Even though right-wingers constantly stress on how we need to be more frugal and that the Left is so materialistic?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 8,699 times
I believe LA is cleaner then NYC for a fact.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 PM

23 posts, read 28,542 times
Yeah so L.A. has some trash and dirt. Especially downtown, east of Broadway. And maybe there's some human grime hanging out around venice beach and a few southside boulevards. But for the most part, I have never found it to be as messy as NYC. But then, NY has been a big urban city even longer than L.A. So I expect a lil sloppiness here and there from time to time, from both. So it happens. Grin and bear it.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM

I remember walking along Broadway 20 years ago, and I noticed how it was girmier and looked like parts of lower Broadway in NYC. But Broadway is a cool street in LA. It is overlooked and it has a lot of character. Venice is a bit grungy but that is part of its allure. LA's character is a lot about its residential streets and the vegetation. The sorriest neighborhoods are those without trees like parts of East LA, etc... But at least for the greater part, the architectural diversity, the plant variety even on modest streets is what sets it apart IMHO.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:01 PM

829 posts, read 2,954,549 times
As far as L.A is concerned you will find more of the grimey areas east of central/main, and even broadway...which some consider the "east side"...going i guess from downtown through the "low bottoms" which are the streets from the 50s/60s on down to the 20s of "south central east side" through south gate, huntington, etc...into watts. It is much more closely dense, and a bit more "dirtier" then west south central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles