U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:31 PM

6 posts, read 15,204 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any advise on which to choose for hospitality management program between these two colleges? I'm currently living in the Bay Area

UNLV:
is obviously more expensive.
is out of state.
way more diverse.
weather.
pretty well known of this major b/c of the environment there.
budget cuts.
better name for this degree?

CPP:
less expensive.
5 hours away from me.
not diverse.
small classes to learn better.
better weather?
one of the first college to have this major.
not having much budget cuts.
idk about the name.

what else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,736,019 times
Both schools are state schools, so neither is immune to budget cuts. Cal Poly is in state, but check the tuition at UNLV, it may be inexpensive. UNLV is more urban and Cal Poly more suburban. UNLV used to have a lot of non traditional students (meaning working and going to school part time), but now there are a LOT of people living/working/playing on campus.

I don't know much about the schools itself. Pomona is very suburban and (not that nice). Las Vegas is well Las Vegas. I would imagine the internship opportunities are far greater in LV, but you might want to contact the programs to be sure.

Las Vegas gets chilly in winter by Southern California standards, particularly at night. During the summer, it is very hot.

Las Vegas is much cheaper apartment wise, but more expensive for social life because the Strip is part of the social scene.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM

4,509 posts, read 10,012,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtheprincess View Post
Can anyone give me any advise on which to choose for hospitality management program between these two colleges? I'm currently living in the Bay Area

UNLV:
is obviously more expensive.
is out of state.
way more diverse.
weather.
pretty well known of this major b/c of the environment there.
budget cuts.
better name for this degree?

CPP:
less expensive.
5 hours away from me.
not diverse.
small classes to learn better.
better weather?
one of the first college to have this major.
not having much budget cuts.
idk about the name.

what else?
What the heck does that mean?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
What the heck does that mean?
the community isn't too separated. that's what i've heard

Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM

111 posts, read 127,047 times
UNLV & Cornell are THE places for hotel/hospitality management. The brand name of those two schools stand head & shoulders above everyone else. If you are going to invest years of your life pursuing this career, why settle for an also-ran?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired at 44 View Post
UNLV & Cornell are THE places for hotel/hospitality management. The brand name of those two schools stand head & shoulders above everyone else. If you are going to invest years of your life pursuing this career, why settle for an also-ran?
where did u get that source?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM

56 posts, read 162,327 times
I recently applied to the Masters in Hotel Administration program at UNLV. Hopefully I will be going there in the fall. I looked into the program at UNLV and Cal Poly Pomona. The biggest difference is that the UNLV program is rated number one or two every year and trades spaces back and forth with Cornell. The reason I didn't pick the Cal Poly masters program is because it is fairly new. There bachelors program has been around longer. The alumni and networks are just as important as the degree.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 PM

378 posts, read 721,652 times
Chucky beat me to it, but as a nearly lifelong Las Vegan, I can confirm what he says about UNLV being rated as one of the best, along with Cornell. On top of that, you're in the middle of a city built around the hospitality/hotel industry. There is the heat factor, though. Coming from the bay area, you'll definitely be feeling it the first year or two. But for quality of hotel school, UNLV's one of the best.

The school does have a lot more on-campus housing now(when I was a student, they were just starting to build dorms, we were all commuters). The school may be more expensive, but the general cost of living will be cheaper than southern California. My husband goes back and forth to Vegas for work still, and he's always pointing out to me how much cheaper the gas is for him there. The booger. :P

Old 04-30-2011, 01:57 AM

56 posts, read 162,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
Chucky beat me to it, but as a nearly lifelong Las Vegan, I can confirm what he says about UNLV being rated as one of the best, along with Cornell. On top of that, you're in the middle of a city built around the hospitality/hotel industry. There is the heat factor, though. Coming from the bay area, you'll definitely be feeling it the first year or two. But for quality of hotel school, UNLV's one of the best.

The school does have a lot more on-campus housing now(when I was a student, they were just starting to build dorms, we were all commuters). The school may be more expensive, but the general cost of living will be cheaper than southern California. My husband goes back and forth to Vegas for work still, and he's always pointing out to me how much cheaper the gas is for him there. The booger. :P
Did you get a hotel bachelors or masters from UNLV? If so, how has the degree helped you in your career?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:27 AM

378 posts, read 721,652 times
Sorry...been away for a while and missed your reply. I actually got a degree in music. But people come from all over the world for the opportunity to attend UNLV's hotel college.

You should try heading up there for a visit to the campus and the area and get a first-hand impression of the place. Might want to try it this summer, so you can decide how you feel about the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles