Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:37 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
If you're single and self-employed, then the Westside south of the 10-Freeway, in areas such as Venice, Westchester, Mar Vista, and Palms. It's not family-friendly, has the lowest concentrations of people with children, it's diverse, and has a lot of singles and childless couples.

I'd go for this section over any other part in the City or County of Los Angeles.
If not for LAUSD Mar Vista and Westchester would be very family friendly. They used to be. Venice is definitely not family friendly, I don't think Palms or Del Rey are particularly family friendly either. (Although they're more family friendly than Venice)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 12:46 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'll agree with your take on Silver Lake.

I don't find Venice to be that different. Venice hipsters are fake too. The outsiders are the problem. The South LA people and the 909 white trash. Venice crime levels, even accounting for rates being based on population rather than people there, while higher than Silver Lake's, are similar to Hancock Park crime levels.

Or: Venice to Palms, Palms/National to Manning, Manning to Olympic a couple blocks to Beverly Glen.

San Vicente doesn't go all the way through to UCLA. There's some Wilshire involved, which is a mess.

Santa Monica is much more congested. Especially the north. Although realistically there is no easy commute that involves crossing the 405.
Beverly Glen is east of UCLA by a good amount. It's still going northeast.

Yes, I know. San Vicente ends at Wilshire and Federal, which is maybe a mile west of UCLA. BUT, you can cut into the VA from San Vicente. The VA is the magic shortcut. The VA gets off at Sepulveda, where you can go north briefly onto Montana, which gets you into the UCLA campus via Veteran or Gayley.

And Venice isn't congested? Lincoln Blvd ???

Outsiders are always the problem.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:48 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Beverly Glen is east of UCLA by a good amount. It's still going northeast.

Yes, I know. San Vicente ends at Wilshire and Federal, which is maybe a mile west of UCLA. BUT, you can cut into the VA from San Vicente. The VA is the magic shortcut. The VA gets off at Sepulveda, where you can go north briefly onto Montana, which gets you into the UCLA campus via Veteran or Gayley.

And Venice isn't congested? Lincoln Blvd ???

Outsiders are always the problem.
It's probably more congested around Lincoln, Washington, and Pacific. Venice is probably the most congested on the Westside south of the 10-Freeway.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
If not for LAUSD Mar Vista and Westchester would be very family friendly. They used to be. Venice is definitely not family friendly, I don't think Palms or Del Rey are particularly family friendly either. (Although they're more family friendly than Venice)
It has shown that the population in some of the neighborhoods in the area declined in the last decade. I don't mind that some of those neighborhoods are family-friendly, as long as they leave singles and childless couples alone.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It has shown that the population in some of the neighborhoods in the area declined in the last decade. I don't mind that some of those neighborhoods are family-friendly, as long as they leave singles and childless couples alone.
I wouldn't consider any of those areas truly family friendly. Just pointing out that MV and Westchester would be if not for the schools. The schools are the reason why there are far fewer kids than there used to be in both. The sounds of children playing in the streets of MV - I was one of them a long time ago - now are rarely heard, as families have essentially left the area and those parts of the westside that are LAUSD. Call it the Curse of Proposition 13. Same for West L.A. where only 2 percent of the population is under 18. How things have changed.....

Old 04-30-2011, 01:32 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
I wouldn't consider any of those areas truly family friendly. Just pointing out that MV and Westchester would be if not for the schools. The schools are the reason why there are far fewer kids than there used to be in both. The sounds of children playing in the streets of MV - I was one of them a long time ago - now are rarely heard, as families have essentially left the area and those parts of the westside that are LAUSD. Call it the Curse of Proposition 13. Same for West L.A. where only 2 percent of the population is under 18. How things have changed.....
West LA has no kids, but I still know of plenty of kids w ho grew up in Mar Vista or Palms. Why are you blaming Prop 13?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
West LA has no kids, but I still know of plenty of kids w ho grew up in Mar Vista or Palms. Why are you blaming Prop 13?
I was a kid who grew up in Mar Vista and West LA. A long time ago in what seems now like a very different city, and a radically different westside.

Mar Vista still has kids, but nothing like in the old days. If you were a kid in Mar Vista when I was, you'd notice the difference. Palms and Del Rey being immigrant dominated have more kids, but I wouldn't have kids in either one.

Prop 13 was passed when I was in 10th grade. It negatively affected California and Los Angeles in particular in many ways, but for the purposes of this thread two effects of Prop 13 are relevant: it sparked the decline of LAUSD along with busing, and it encouraged those who already owned property to stay in their homes, thus driving up real estate prices by limiting supply. Although family flight did not set in immediately after Prop 13, its root causes can be traced to that time. And that even applied to non-LAUSD areas.

Here's an article about the dearth of families on the westside, although written about a non-LAUSD area which really should not be experiencing family flight, it applies to most of the westside, LAUSD and non-LAUSD. It does trace the problems back to Prop 13:

Local Schools Need Local Students : THE FRONT PAGE ONLINE

Old 04-30-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Most of the children on the Westside, and Los Angeles in general, are juveniles.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:59 AM

When did family flight occur in LA. I'm sure back in the day, the top 10 cities were family friendly. Not anymore.
Quote:
I was a kid who grew up in Mar Vista and West LA. A long time ago in what seems now like a very different city, and a radically different westside.

Mar Vista still has kids, but nothing like in the old days. If you were a kid in Mar Vista when I was, you'd notice the difference. Palms and Del Rey being immigrant dominated have more kids, but I wouldn't have kids in either one.

Prop 13 was passed when I was in 10th grade. It negatively affected California and Los Angeles in particular in many ways, but for the purposes of this thread two effects of Prop 13 are relevant: it sparked the decline of LAUSD along with busing, and it encouraged those who already owned property to stay in their homes, thus driving up real estate prices by limiting supply. Although family flight did not set in immediately after Prop 13, its root causes can be traced to that time. And that even applied to non-LAUSD areas.

Here's an article about the dearth of families on the westside, although written about a non-LAUSD area which really should not be experiencing family flight, it applies to most of the westside, LAUSD and non-LAUSD. It does trace the problems back to Prop 13:

Local Schools Need Local Students : THE FRONT PAGE ONLINE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles