Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 AM

48 posts, read 141,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
you should be a geography major if you have not already gone to college, check it out.
Well I don´t know if you´re not being sarcastic with me but if not - thanks.

But I´m still on high school right now.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.O´Hara View Post
Well I don´t know if you´re not being sarcastic with me but if not - thanks.

But I´m still on high school right now.
not at all I was a human geography major myself. Your interest in this area is well in line with that course of study and you would probably find it fascinating.

You are demonstrating a healthy curiosity right here and I think an American University would be lucky to have you studying in this field!

Human geography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
not at all I was a human geography major myself. Your interest in this area is well in line with that course of study and you would probably find it fascinating.

You are demonstrating a healthy curiosity right here and I think an American University would be lucky to have you studying in this field!

Human geography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I´d love to study this kind of college! Thank you foo your compliments. This would be really dream come true but I have already sent my admission form to a faculty of arts - branch USA and UK. Hope it will be successful.
And besides, I´m not american so there´s no chance the college would accept me.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM

Not true. I'm not sure how it works but tons of foreign students study here, get accepted, get visa's, grants etc.

The last person I dated was a professor who originally came to study at one of our Ivy League schools, he was from a South American country.

The US wants the smart kids to come here, you know they want you to come to our universities and then stay. Look into it!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Not true. I'm not sure how it works but tons of foreign students study here, get accepted, get visa's, grants etc.

The last person I dated was a professor who originally came to study at one of our Ivy League schools, he was from a South American country.

The US wants the smart kids to come here, you know they want you to come to our universities and then stay. Look into it!
Yeah but you must be super good in your own country to get noticed and to get a schoolarship. My high school is commercial academy and I´m a very average student. This was definitely not a good choice of mine to go to this economical field. I know so many things about America because it´s my hobby and I do it in my free time. Nobody else knows about it.
No american college would accept anybody from outside USA whithout any recommandations. But thanks for your kindness! I decided to study here in EU, then find a job and make some money and then to go to the USA and make some investments there. Even if I studied in America, I doubt I found a job there. There are not any left even for native americans.
I just hope that when I´ll be ready the USA will still be as great as they are today.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah but you must be super good in your own country to get noticed and to get a schoolarship. My high school is commercial academy and I´m a very average student. This was definitely not a good choice of mine to go to this economical field. I know so many things about America because it´s my hobby and I do it in my free time. Nobody else knows about it.
No american college would accept anybody from outside USA whithout any recommandations. But thanks for your kindness! I decided to study here in EU, then find a job and make some money and then to go to the USA and make some investments there. Even if I studied in America, I doubt I found a job there. There are not any left even for native americans.
I just hope that when I´ll be ready the USA will still be as great as they are today.
There are plenty of jobs for educated Americans especially in the fields of demography, urban planning and GIS (which I am in, and it's a field within geography departments as well, and highly in demand for good people)

Look into it, there might be a program for you, maybe even in Europe.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 PM

OK I´ll try to look up some informations eventhough we have such a horrible byrocracy. Anyways, thanks for your care. You´re being very pleasant with me.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Quote:
Hi there,
this topic might be a bit ridiculous but I hope you will understand me. I have never been to the USA, I´m a white european but I´m planning to move to USA very soon. I just love your country, your architecture and that I could enjoy travelling through deserts in Nevada or visit old plantations in the South. I have read a lot of threads here and I was in a daily contact with american boy of my age for 3 years. I´m interested mainly in LA, Dallas and Atlanta.

However, I learned some informations that were shocking for me and I just need to know your thoughts about that. The most shocking information was the "white flight" thing. For example Atlanta. When blacks moved in (in the 60´s), whites moved out to suburbs and to northern parts of the city. Today, all southern suburbs are mostly black, but blacks still keep moving even far down to south where whites live, and when they move in - whites move out and the previously middle class neighbourhood becomes rundown. I even heard a man saying: "They (blacks) are marching through the main street and nobody´s safe."

Well, I thought LA could be a bit better, but then I read a thread called "where did the walley girls go?" and some people said that whites are moving away from CA because of increasing number of hispanics.

This really makes me feel miserable. I wanted to ask you some questions:

1) are hispanic people in the USA really that bad or is it just the ignorance of whites?

2) If I didn´t care about the demographics and moved to a minority majority neighbourhood (like Whittier for example) - would this be OK for me? No hate just because I´m white?

3) Are really so many whites leaving SoCA to Oregon, Arizona, Nevada...etc? If yes, I think California might become more Mexico than USA and that wouldn´t be cool in my opinion.

Just to let you know, I hope this won´t cause any racism here. My last sentence was a bit strong but I meant it like I want to live in the USA, not in the Mexico - and I have really nothing against mexican people. I met a latino girl here in EU and she was so fantastic. She was very kind and intelligent. And I also had a black friend, who was also pretty inteligent and nice. We could talk for hours and hours.
Anyways, I really hope I didn´t insult anybody since I love people of all races from my heart. Also, I hope you´ll excuse my english. I´m just a bit worried about the things I found out and I thought that only native americans could help me...
It's really nothing new. That's the reason you find asians in asia; blacks in africa; whites in europe; native americans in the americas. They all felt more comfortable with people who were like them. Just human nature.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 AM

121 posts, read 282,892 times
Quote:

And could I have one more question? I know I´m annoying but I´m just really interested in your country, you know. So, I was wondering how can mexican immigrants afford living in LA area since the house prices are so high - even for native born american?.
And why do they usualy choose LA when San Diego is just a few miles away from Mexico.
I don't think anyone directly addressed your last question in bold above.

Think of it this way Frank. Why are there so many Puerto Ricans in New York City? Atlanta is a heck of lot closer to Puerto Rico yet NYC remains a key center for Puerto Ricans in the USA.

I won't bother with recounting the Spanish/Mexican settlement of California as that is pretty well known and easy to research. But by the late 1800's the City of Los Angeles (by now a firmly "American city") began growing by leaps and bounds. By contrast, San Diego expanded at a much slower pace. LA's link to the national railroad being one major reason.

So LA became a HUGE job magnet and many Mexicans began to head north for those opporutnities. That there was already a community of Mexican/Mexican-Americans in Los Angeles only made it that much easier to make a go of LA as a home. Once a migration pattern gets established, it is often easily reinforced as family members follow and the next generation follows them, etc.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Thank you for your explanation, that seems pretty logical.

Anyways guys, don´t wanna start any serious disscusion but today I spent a lot of time by watching LA 1992 riots videos because someone of you were refering to it. I couldn´t believe that even the western area around Wilshire boulevard was on fire. Even Hollywood. I thought it was concentrated only in South Central. I gotta tell you that after what I saw I´m not that surprised that many people left. There were people shooting each other and total anarchy that I had to remind myself I´m watching vids of USA, not Somalia.
I wonder why were the looters burning the shops?! Just infront of the eyes of TV commentators.
When I saw the smoke above Los Angeles I realized that it was like 9/11 of the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles