U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you side with the Owner or the Tenant?
I side with the owner 1 50.00%
I side with the tenant 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 16,188 times

Advertisements

Okay, So I reside in an apartment in Santa Monica,CA. Moved here a lil over a year ago from another state. My landlord lives in next door to me. Besides him constantly texting me and trying to be more than owner/tenant all was well until a few months ago.

I had got a letter from the department of rent control saying we needed to register the apartment where I lived. When I asked him about this, he admitted that my apartment used to be rent controlled. But that changed when the previous tenants moved out. ( the difference in price was double ) He said that I could rent the apartment at the rent controlled price for the remainder of my stay, as long as I didn't tell the other tenants" So, I agreed. (the end of my stay is July 1 2011)

When the following month came and I went to pay him, He asked me could he just take the rent out of my security deposit. I agreed.

Fast forward to April, 2 tenants that lived in the other apartments moved out because a) 1 said he caught him in his house without permission, b.) Things kept breaking in the house. C.) he was harrassing them.

I guess he needed more money because all of a sudden he started sending me messages saying, a) he can't find the receipt of me paying rent for the month of Jan. huh! b.) he wants me to pay him in cash c.) he needs my least back. I'm actually not kidding.

I told him that I'm not paying him cash because we already agreed that he would take it out of my deposit. Period. My apartment is month to month nothing was done to the apartment prior to me moving in (no new paint/carpet) I paid him first/last months rent + deposit. Besides this I just got win that the apartment he has been renting me over a year is ILLEGAL.

Please help, I'm not trying to get over, I just want to live here for the remainder of my stay without being harrassed or worried about stolen items in my apartment.

Last edited by TenantNeedsHelp; 05-03-2011 at 11:10 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 PM

bump

Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 PM

This is my understanding when the new owner bought the rent controlled apartment, he payed all of the tenants that lived here like 10,000 to move out. But he didn't tell the rent control board this, thus they still send mail to my address notifying me of what my rent controlled price should be.

I also read that in santa monica when this is the case you have to wait 10 years before you rent the apartment out at a non-rent controlled price. He did not notify the board that we have moved in because he can't it's illegal. He moved us in directly after they moved out. Making our stay here illegal.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:25 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,405,317 times
All this is way beyond what anyone of us can advise you on. You may want to contact an attorney instead.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:30 PM

362 posts, read 769,935 times
May get some advice here:

Los Angeles Housing Department - Palms - Los Angeles, CA

Old 05-04-2011, 12:38 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,704,309 times
I thought rent control limits how much the rent can be increased every year for existing tenants. My understanding is that the landlord can reset the rent to a market rate when a tenant moves out (which is why he would pay those people so much to move out.)

If it was me, and it truly is an illegal apartment, I would not give 30 days notice and just move out at the end of May. Send him a certified letter explaining why you moved out and owe him nothing since you paid first and last. If you do decide to stay until July just make sure you have proof of payment on everything and keep text messages etc. He really doesn't have a leg to stand on in court if he rented you an illegal dwelling.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:56 PM

I think an attorney would be best..thank you!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,704,309 times
Just remember, lawyers aren't cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles