Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:51 PM

396 posts, read 906,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I tried to look up the census tract for Las Palmas and Hollywood, but the site wasn't working. In any case, it's definitely not "mostly" white transplants, even today. About five years ago I lived about two blocks away from Las Palmas, and it was great. It had already gentrified enough so that we weren't worried about crime, although we did see it continue to evolve during the few years we lived there. There was a huge mix of residents, including those who had been in their rent-controlled apartments for decades. Voting there was the best experience I've ever had; all of the poll workers seemed to be from other countries, and they applauded when I put my ballot into the machine. The neighborhood is high-density, very diverse (I assume those demographics for Hollywood as a whole also include the more upscale "heights" area, which is a very different crowd than the flat area down below Franklin), and has a mix of very upscale apartments as well as some dumps. We haven't lived there for a few years, but we did still sometimes see drug deals on Yucca, and a prostitute did show up at my father-in-law's motel room (the Motel 6 on Whitley), knocking on the door and telling him that the front desk had sent her up. You could still see signs on Yucca announcing that license plates were being recorded; from what neighbors said, it sounds like cars would get drive down Yucca, cruise along, and pick up whatever vice it was they needed.
The area, as I understand it, is completely different than it was even 5 years ago.

Most of the people I see live in that area are white now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
I remember visiting with my mom in the late 80s. I was SHOCKED by how seedy Hollywood was! Really bummed too, heh, as I expected lots of glamour (felt the same way visiting Vegas for the first time too).

It's really changed a lot.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
A little bit of Hollywood in the '80s, with the poet laureate of Hollywood, Charles Bukowski:
Haha....he goes "for $.15, you can kill somebody...hehe".

Cost of "killing" sure went up since those days!

So, is Julia Roberts still working in the same part of town or not?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Haha....he goes "for $.15, you can kill somebody...hehe".

Cost of "killing" sure went up since those days!

So, is Julia Roberts still working in the same part of town or not?
Julia Roberts' character in real life would not have been working on that level of prostitution unless she was just starting out and even then it's questionable.

That is to say, if that character had actually existed in real life, which is highly, highly doubtful. The character was a sort of "stock figure" character of the sort that were in movies as far back as the silent days. The point of the writers of that film was to make the female protagonist as low class and degraded (but still likeable and sympathetic) as possible to feed into womens' fantasies about landing a Prince Charming type regardless of their social standing.

There were more non-Latina white street prostitutes in L.A. 20 years ago before the lower levels of the world's oldest profession became dominated by illegals(30 years ago there would have been FAR more still), but let's just say they were grungier....

Old 05-23-2011, 12:32 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,063 times
If you were a patrol cop working Hollywood Division in the late 1970's to the late 1990's, it was an experience of a lifetime!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
If you were a patrol cop working Hollywood Division in the late 1970's to the late 1990's, it was an experience of a lifetime!
I could only imagine what said cops saw. It would be something to write a book about.

Vice cops had "special opportunities" for making money on the side, and often took advantage of these "opportunities". They didn't call being on Vice a "pimp license" for nothing!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
Guess it was sort of like being in the CRASH unit of Rampart division in the same time period, bribery, extortion, illegal beat downs, hey, they ain't the LAPD for nothin

Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Guess it was sort of like being in the CRASH unit of Rampart division in the same time period, bribery, extortion, illegal beat downs, hey, they ain't the LAPD for nothin
Except those issues with Vice went back long before any of the guys on the CRASH unit at Rampart were even born, probably even before their parents were born.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Why not elaborate on your experiences? Sounds like fun.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:04 PM

121 posts, read 282,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Why not elaborate on your experiences? Sounds like fun.
I'll second that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles