Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,064 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the maximum months in advance a Landlord can legally ask for in order to allow someone to move in?(NOT regarding sec. deposit. Only monthly rent) Or where I can get that information? One last thing, what documents are Landlords legally allowed to ask for in order to allow you to move in or not, aside from background/credit check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I don't know if there is a "legal limit" to rent...it's always what they can get in the open market. First and last months rent isn't unheard of unless you have lousy credit or not job, then they may want more money up front. They can ask for proof of income and references in addition to a credit check and info on any pet that might be moving in as well. Is there something specific you ran into??

Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM

144 posts, read 608,382 times
Had some college friends that were asked for 1 years rent prepaid. These were desirable condos near the university and the school had a huge housing shortage so I'm not sure if there are any limits.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 PM

332 posts, read 1,430,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg8 View Post
Had some college friends that were asked for 1 years rent prepaid. These were desirable condos near the university and the school had a huge housing shortage so I'm not sure if there are any limits.
I have a friend in LA who recently told me all about her rental experience. Due to her career, there's not necessarily a weekly pay stub to show a landlord or apt manager. She's also not in town for great stretches of time. She explained to me that it was explained to her that a lot of people in her industry pre-pay rent all of the time for the duration of the initial lease. She said b/c they are paid in lump sum it is easy for them to pay the rent in a lump sum and landlords don't necessarily worry about the continued duration of employment, etc.

Sorry I can't offer any firsthand information but she's a reliable source. I'm sure multiple arrangements can be made if you aren't in a similar situation to afford to pre-pay. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know if there is a "legal limit" to rent...it's always what they can get in the open market. First and last months rent isn't unheard of unless you have lousy credit or not job, then they may want more money up front. They can ask for proof of income and references in addition to a credit check and info on any pet that might be moving in as well. Is there something specific you ran into??

...They asked for a detailed bank statement. When we gave them one, that was when they required us to pay six months in advance. We had just sold our house and relocated, so there is a significant ammount of money in the account.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Wow, 6 months in advance? Amazing. Is your credit bad? Are you working now? The only reason I could think is if you are not currently working. Are you suggesting that they wanted the money up front because you have it?

If you are not sure about renting with them have you considered other places? I am certain that they are not the only game in town.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times
I do freelance web design, so I've had the same issues with having to provide bank statements.

I once offered to pay 3 months rent in advance, and then found out that was illegal to do. I would look somewhere else. The LAST thing you want is an unscrupulous landlord. What if they keep it when you move out?! 6 months rent in advance is a lot. Way way WAY too much.

Landlords are only allowed to do first, last, security, and a pet deposit (if you have a pet). And I THINK they're required to put the security deposit (and maybe last month's rent) in an interest-bearing bank account and provide you with the statements.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 PM

89 posts, read 215,067 times
Contact the office of your city council rep (or county supervisor, depending where you are). They should have someone on staff who's familiar with the issue, or who can direct you to someone who can answer your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles