Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikristi View Post
Charles why do you say that? Sorry, totally in the dark here? Are you saying thats high rent or cheap rent?

I wrote that in the context that two people, one income (?) spending $1400 on rent probably (but I really don't know) doesn't have the type of disposable income to be spending two or more nights per week on dinner and drinks at $100+ a week? I wrote that because someone had mentioned going out to restaurants but being realistic, how often does anybody really do that? More than once a week?

Here is a fantastic tool to map out rents:

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 PM

12 posts, read 18,074 times
Thanks, nowincal11. Dont get me wrong I do have champagne taste on a beer budget and love to splurge every now and then but I think there is more fun to be had at just the local bar. Sherman Oaks sounds nice.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wrote that in the context that two people, one income (?) spending $1400 on rent probably (but I really don't know) doesn't have the type of disposable income to be spending two or more nights per week on dinner and drinks at $100+ a week? /
Gotcha, and totally hear where you are coming from. Fortunately, yes one income but the school girl has daddy to pay her share...must be nice! Of course, shes a college girl and wont be spending as much time on the town as I hope to be. Not that I go out every night either but I have to get out enough to meet new people in the area.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times
Quote:
Thanks, nowincal11. Dont get me wrong I do have champagne taste on a beer budget and love to splurge every now and then but I think there is more fun to be had at just the local bar. Sherman Oaks sounds nice.
LA is such a great city that if you don't like SHerman Oaks after a year, you can always move!

Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
I'm from Boston and just wanted to pipe in with the traffic is NOT as horrible as Boston. Driving here is like driving in heaven compared to Boston. That's not to say that there isn't awful traffic here, mind you. But we don't have all the one-ways, and the streets are mainly on a grid (with some exceptions). Take it REAL easy when you first get here with the driving. People aren't as aggressive here, and it'll take some time to get used to the different way of driving.

Also, random note, pizza here is WAY WAY WAY more expensive. I've found the best pizza to be "North End Pizza" in Burbank. This is important because it's very hard to find good pizza here. I've rarely gotten a pizza for less than $20 here.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Thanks, readymade! That was definitely the sense I was getting.

As for the pizza...I am a "south shore girl" and "bar pizza" is where it is at for me! Something tells me I wont be getting anything of the like out in cali!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks, readymade! That was definitely the sense I was getting.

As for the pizza...I am a "south shore girl" and "bar pizza" is where it is at for me! Something tells me I wont be getting anything of the like out in cali!
I'm a north shore girl, and I don't know what "bar pizza" is, heh. Is it just pizza you get at a bar or are there special characteristics.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I'm a north shore girl, and I don't know what "bar pizza" is, heh. Is it just pizza you get at a bar or are there special characteristics.
For whatever reason its a south shore thing but yes its pizza that you get at a bar but def has special characteristics...

You do not know what you are missing...

Google Image Result for http://images.phantomgourmet.com/phantomImage212-normal.jpg

Old 05-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Not totally sure what the difference is, but that pizza looks awesome!

If it's the lighter, more buttery crust... a little thicker than usual but not "thick crust." then I know what you're talking about. My favorite pizza place in Arlington, MA made a pizza like that. SO good! It was more Greek-style pizza (as opposed to Italian).

I haven't found any pizza like that here. North End Pizza is more like NY pizza (even though they call themselves Boston-style pizza). SUPER thin crust, which I like even better. I like to tell myself that I'm eating less carbs that way, hee hee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles