Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:54 PM

121 posts, read 282,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
Uh...

Is that the Mexican side of LA? LA is said to be very diverse, but based on those pictures, LA is basically Mexico with a few white people sprinkled in.
Trillion: Don't be so quick to judge an area by a couple of photos. A few corrections to your faulty assumptions:

1) You probably only looked at the first few photos in the McArthur Park area. Plenty of non-Latinos in other photos later in the sequence.

2) The McArthur Park neighbohrood of LA is NOT a MEXICAN area. It is PRIMARILY populated by Central Americans (El Salvador, Guatemala, etc).

3) Most hispanics/latinos are in fact WHITE (with some native/indian blood mixed in there too).

4) The City of LA is about 50% Latino. So the other 50% is comprised of a wide range of people from all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
This site needs to evolve its rep points system so one really good post can get multiple rep points.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:04 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
Uh...

Is that the Mexican side of LA? LA is said to be very diverse, but based on those pictures, LA is basically Mexico with a few white people sprinkled in.
Lol since when do Caucasians have a monopoly on the US?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganto_2010 View Post
all look familiar to me
califorina the shake and bake state
A good reminder of why we should loathe east coasters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankVerse View Post
Trillion: Don't be so quick to judge an area by a couple of photos. A few corrections to your faulty assumptions:

1) You probably only looked at the first few photos in the McArthur Park area. Plenty of non-Latinos in other photos later in the sequence.

2) The McArthur Park neighbohrood of LA is NOT a MEXICAN area. It is PRIMARILY populated by Central Americans (El Salvador, Guatemala, etc).

3) Most hispanics/latinos are in fact WHITE (with some native/indian blood mixed in there too).

4) The City of LA is about 50% Latino. So the other 50% is comprised of a wide range of people from all over.
Obfuscative post.

Latinos/Hispanics don't call themselves "white", and you state that they are "in fact" white.

What Trillion touched on, knowingly or not, is that if you are white then you will be the minority in many/most of the neighborhoods in the LA metro area. One either accepts that or doesn't about LA- take it or leave it.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:43 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
The term "white" is very very subjective. Most Americans and I consider white to be of European descent. From the continent of Europe only. Or if you're in Latin America, of entirely European descent (from the continent).

But some people have taken "white" loosely and think it includes Armenians, Arabs, Persians, and mixed Latins.

I'd say 90-95% of Latinos in LA are almost entirely of native blood, or true mestizos. There are very few Latinos here who would be white (the exceptions may be a few wealthy Mexicans, and people from "European" countries like Argentina and Chile).

The vast majority of people in Latin America are mostly native or mestizo (or a black mixture), not white.

Armenians, Persians, and Arabs are not white at all, even if they claim to be. They don't look "white" - they are middle eastern.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:01 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
The term "white" is very very subjective. Most Americans and I consider white to be of European descent. From the continent of Europe only. Or if you're in Latin America, of entirely European descent (from the continent).

But some people have taken "white" loosely and think it includes Armenians, Arabs, Persians, and mixed Latins.

I'd say 90-95% of Latinos in LA are almost entirely of native blood, or true mestizos. There are very few Latinos here who would be white (the exceptions may be a few wealthy Mexicans, and people from "European" countries like Argentina and Chile).

The vast majority of people in Latin America are mostly native or mestizo (or a black mixture), not white.

Armenians, Persians, and Arabs are not white at all, even if they claim to be. They don't look "white" - they are middle eastern.
It's heavily speculated that most Latinos don't know what race they belong to, so half would choose Some Other Race. I think Latinos filled in the white box so they can feel part of the race, despite the fact that most are meztizo or mixed.

I don't want LA to go back to their old ways again. It was 47% white in 2000. Now it's nearly 50% white. What's up with that? The Census and race category is real confusing.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:05 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
While there is no "Latino" race, there is a box to check Latino for, so shouldn't they just do that?

I can guarantee that 95% of the Latinos in LA are not "white" like those of European descent in LA. There's an obvious difference in looks and culture. Even the mixed ones. Though I would say a significant portion, maybe even a majority of Latinos in LA have virtually no white blood and are pretty much Mayan/Aztec/Native.

This isn't about being racist or saying one is better than the other. It's just calling out identity myths.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:15 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
How about those pictures?

Old 05-20-2011, 03:15 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,749 times
Great photographs! L.A. has a little of everything imaginable

Old 05-20-2011, 04:31 PM

121 posts, read 282,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
A

Obfuscative post.

Latinos/Hispanics don't call themselves "white", and you state that they are "in fact" white.

What Trillion touched on, knowingly or not, is that if you are white then you will be the minority in many/most of the neighborhoods in the LA metro area. One either accepts that or doesn't about LA- take it or leave it.
I didn't mean to ignite a race/ethnicity debate.

Trillion (the poster I was responding to) is in fact an african-american guy so he'd be in the "minority" in Brentwood or Boyle Heights.

I am fully aware that Hispanic/Latino can refer to someone with white, native, asian (peru, etc), or black blood (or a combo of all of the above).

The fact remains that MOST Latinos in the U.S. have at least SOME white ancestry.

But yes, how about those pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles