U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:38 AM

72 posts, read 286,589 times

Advertisements

Potential relocation to L.A. coming up, offices are in Century City area. We've got two very young kids and want to keep the commute time to as short as we can get while still being in a safe, nice, family-friendly neighborhood with good schools.

While we're not multi-millionaires, we are very fortunate to be able to live in what might be considered more expensive areas.

Neither my wife nor I know very much about L.A. neighborhoods, so any advice is most welcome.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 12:40 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,546,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBorn View Post
Potential relocation to L.A. coming up, offices are in Century City area. We've got two very young kids and want to keep the commute time to as short as we can get while still being in a safe, nice, family-friendly neighborhood with good schools.

While we're not multi-millionaires, we are very fortunate to be able to live in what might be considered more expensive areas.

Neither my wife nor I know very much about L.A. neighborhoods, so any advice is most welcome.

Thanks!
Culver City. 99% of neighborhoods within the City of Los Angeles aren't family friendly.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,789,972 times
Are you planning on renting first and buying a house later?

Old 05-21-2011, 02:07 AM

17,443 posts, read 26,444,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Culver City. 99% of neighborhoods within the City of Los Angeles aren't family friendly.
Culver City seconded.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:20 AM

34,993 posts, read 61,268,477 times
Quote:
Well, why not look into Beverly Hills? Its right next door.

I did a quick search and found 48 homes between $1 Million-$1.5 Million, which is a pretty common price range for people in CA who 'are very fortunate to be able to live in what might be considered more expensive areas'

Crime is low, schools are good, small town feel despite being surrounded by gazillionaires and celebs.

On second thought, I dont know if Id want my kids surrounded by too much vapidity? Maybe Culver City is a better place after all.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:34 AM

17,443 posts, read 26,444,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, why not look into Beverly Hills? Its right next door.

I did a quick search and found 48 homes between $1 Million-$1.5 Million, which is a pretty common price range for people in CA who 'are very fortunate to be able to live in what might be considered more expensive areas'

Crime is low, schools are good, small town feel despite being surrounded by gazillionaires and celebs.

On second thought, I dont know if Id want my kids surrounded by too much vapidity? Maybe Culver City is a better place after all.
The level of crime in Beverly Hills is slightly higher than in Culver City (although both are pretty low crime areas). BH doesn't have a "small town feel" anymore. The schools are pretty good, though (Culver City schools are decent, not great- OTOH the schools in the areas within LA city limits around both, particularly those between BH and CC, are really awful)

Either one's fine but BH has more conspicuous consumption.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:12 AM

4,213 posts, read 7,616,845 times
"West LA" and "South Westwood" are good and close to Century City. Think intersections like Veteran and Olympic and the areas immediately north and south of it.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:35 AM

153 posts, read 611,553 times
As someone who grew up in Beverly Hills, I am totally offended by the "too much vapidity" comment. Ridiculous and posted by someone with little to no experience in Beverly Hills. You will be putting your kids in, quite possibly, one of the best public school systems in the country. I was fortunate to attend private school in Beverly Hills also and I can attest to the superior education your kids would receive in one of those institutions, should you choose to go that route.

You could not do any better "commute" wise (I mean really, there wouldn't be much of a commute at all) and you'd be living in a beautiful, safe, centrally located part of town.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 AM

72 posts, read 286,589 times
Default Thank you!

What great and quick replies!

Thanks everyone for your thoughtfulness. You have given me some fantastic starting points. As a complete newbie, I need the help.

Keep 'em coming, of course.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:10 PM

26,342 posts, read 88,820,466 times
Quote:

Thanks!
What is your budget? Knowing this will make this 69 times easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles